RegisterDonateLogin

Lock the door, and hope they don't have straws.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Northwest Regional Results (more details to come) Options
shinja
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:54:24 PM
Groups: Administration

Congratulations to Omnus for winning first place out of 38 players!

Top 3 finishers:

1. Omnus 5 -1 (lost to Shinja) [Obi Unleashed, Han RH, Luke HPU, Rieekan, Dodonna, R2, Mouse Droids, and Ugs]
2. Shinja 5 - 1 (lost to DanielJM) [Luke's Snowspeeder, Chewie of Hoth, Leia, ERC, Madine, Rieekan, Dodonna, Mouse, Ug]
3. DanielJM 5 - 1 (lost to Omnus) [Vader Unleashed, Palp on Throne, Dash, Ozzel, Jagged, a million Ugs]

Round 1 vs Jack (Grief) playing Boba Cannon

I won map (Chancellor's Starship) and he took the right. I kept my stuff hidden, so Boba had to extend pretty far to get shots. I put 40 on him and he put 20 on the speeder (which was promptly repaired back off). A crucial point happened in the second round when he tried to kill Madine. He hit all 4 shots (from Boba and a Bothan), but Madine made 2 Evades, and survived with 10 HP. He then moved up to disrupt Boba and the Snowspeeder based him and finished him off (with Leia's help).
Final score 70 - 0 (Opponent conceeded after 3 rounds)

Round 2 vs Aaron (Slie) playing Boba Cannon

He won map (Rancor Pit), and I took the right. I kept my commanders in the top room and advanced the Speeder, Madine, and Chewie against the center wall, but low enough that Boba couldn't get a line on them (Slie started on the bottom left, so he had to move Boba up quite a ways to get lines to the other side around the center wall). In the 2nd round, he moved Boba to get a shot on the Speeder. His first attack was a 20. The Speeder took 70 (after Damage Reduction). I was able to move Madine up to Disrupt Boba now that he had already activated (to prevent the Bothan's CEs), and I repaired 20 off the Speeder with Chewie. Boba took 30 damage total that round after evades. In the 3rd round, Slie thought that the speeder only had 10 HP left, and decided to attack it. He twinned with Boba twice (with a Bothan) and I made all 4 evades. Then I re-Disrupted him and based him with the Speeder for the kill (with Leia's shots as well).
Final score 67 - 10 (Opponent conceded after 3 rounds)

Round 3 vs Rob (??) playing Boba Cannon

Yay, 3 Boba Cannons in a row. I won map (Chancellor's Starship) and I ended up on the left. This game played out simiilarly to my first game. I baited Boba out into Disruptive range, then based with the Speeder for the kill.
Final score 89 - 8 (Opponent conceded after 3 rounds)

Round 4 vs Darcy (??) playing Boosted Twi'lek Black Sun Vigos

I won map, and he set up on the left. In the first round, I used my ERC to open the top left door, and flew my Speeder up to get a shot to kill his Czerka. He was only able to get a line back to the Speeder with one Vigo, and I made both Evades. Second round, the Speeder based 2 Vigos, killed one, and killed the other one with Leia's attacks. The third Vigo shot at Leia and missed once, and I made the other Evade. Third round, I killed the last Vigo then began my assault on his commander area.
Final score 119 - 0 (Opponent conceded after 4 rounds)

Round 5 vs Charles (Omnus) playing Rebel Triple Threat

He won map (Broken Christophsis). I deferred side and ended up on the left. He positioned for first round gambit with an ug and a mouse droid, but I opened the door with my ERC and was able to kill both of them early. He ran Obi and Luke out into the central area. Luke took a lot of hits, and eventually failed some Evades, getting down to 30 HP. He brought Luke and Obi up through the central room over to my side. I disrupted Obi and got some shots on him without Evades, then took a push on Madine before I locked the door in their faces with my ERC. He brought Han out to open the central door near gambit so his R2 could override the door that I had locked shut back open. Unfortunately, Han had already spent his Force point, and he failed a bunch of evades, so he died out in the center. I opened the door and killed Luke, but I lost Madine to Obi. But the snowspeeder was able to finish him off.
Final score 119 - 18 (Opponent conceded after 5 rounds)

At this point, I was the only 5 - 0 left, but we were playing 6 rounds so I got paired down for the last round.

Round 6 vs Daniel (DanielJM) playing Vader Unleashed, Palp on Throne, and Dash

He won map (Ravaged Base) and I deferred side and ended up on the inside of the base. He severely outactivated me with something like 8 Ugnaughts on his Ozzel squad. I killed a few Ugs, but took 50 damage on the speeder to do it. I was able to repair the speeder for 2 rounds after that though, back up to 80 HP. He rolled reserves twice, bringing in a Storm Commando and a Dark Trooper Phase III. In round 4, I moved the speeder like 30 spaces to base Dash (who had already taken a little damage), and used Leia to give the extra attacks for the kill. At that point, I was up by 10 points, and time was almost up (2 minutes in the round). We finished the round with Leia at 10 HP and Madine based with Vader. Next round, I won init, and moved the Snowspeeder up to base the Storm Commando. I needed 5s to hit. Rolled a 3, reroll: 1. Twin Attack: 2. Then Leia died. I took an AoO with Madine to get a Cunning +20 shot on Ozzel, then used Rieekan to finish him off. But then Madine died too.
Final score 73 - 60 (I lost at time)

Omnus ended up having the best strength of schedule out of the 5 - 1s, so I took second. It was a very fun event, with a ton of participants. There actually was quite a bit of squad variety, even though my experience was fairly limited.

Omnus is not planning to attend Gencon, but he graciously decided to give me the Gencon pass. So thanks a ton, Charles! ThumbsUp
MAINEiac
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:05:12 PM
Groups: Member

On the average how many rounds did your tourney games go. Just curious. thanks
MAINEiac
.... trying to finagle a way to get to the bloomilk tourney in OCT!
SWMG
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 6:28:22 PM

oh man Aaron I told you that you would rock today!!!! great job!!!!

dnemiller
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:00:29 PM

SWMG wrote:
oh man Aaron I told you that you would rock today!!!! great job!!!!

that was me by the way I was on my sons account
Tirade
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:07:11 PM

Wow, that tickle's me pink to see Chewie of Hoth used in a competitive tourney. I've always liked that 100 HPs for 22 cost. It makes that IR 20 even more annoying.
Sithfan
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:29:10 PM

Wow, just got home from the tourney... I had a lot of fun, and would like to thank the organizers for a job well done! Our Canadian crew had a blast and we were talking about how much fun we had throughout the tourney on the way home.

I played B.O.B.L. and placed fourth by strength of schedule [tied for 1st @ 5-1]. My only loss being to Omnus (52-51) in round 3, a very close game indeed.
krux
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:35:59 PM

Wow, very nice builds! And no GOWK here Scared... Flapper Flapper Flapper
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:31:18 AM

Wow 38 players and not one GOWK!!! It's like he's been banned earlyWink
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:54:54 AM

I think we had 3-4 GOWK squads. I didn't see any of the games though.

Omnus
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:00:40 PM

So I played...

http://bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=38825

--Rieekan Reinforced Rebels--
44 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Unleashed
35 Han Solo, Rebel Hero
28 Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 R2-D2
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 10 activations)

My map:

The Clone Wars starter Christophsis map

First Round was against vanlanning/Conor and he was playing LV swap. I won map roll. We played a very close game. I picked off activations as I could. Han Rebel Hero picked off two Imperial Dignitaries. He got vader adjacent to dodonna, an uggie and mouse droid. His plan was to kill all 3 when he won init. I used Obi's push2 to get vader away from dodonna and the mouse droid and then ran them safely away. I eventually lost Obi to Vader but he had to swap in Ozzell, so I promptly killed ozzel with Rieekan and Han. Last round vader had 30 health and Luke couldn;t push him for the kill because he was 1 move too far from him but the final score ended up being 58-50 I believe.

Second Round was against Joelker and he was playing Boba Cannon and I lost map roll so we ended up on Rancor pit. I choose the rancor pen side. I had played on the map enough to be very careful with positioning. He didn't get any early los. But he got gambit round 1 and I did not. Round 2 I advanced to gambit and han with his fp, moved 8 to get he kill on the mouse in gambit. Boba moved out to shoot han and all attacks were evaded. Boba then got pushed out of los. Next round Boba withdrew for healing. After about 40 minutes he conceded because I had the gambit lead, out activated him and had everything positioned well with zero damage taken.

Third Round was against Sithfan who was playing LV swap with Lobot. I lost map roll and we were on new muunilist. He brought in 2 grans, 2 uggies and 2 mouse droids. Round 2 i pulled off an override with r2 and Han shot Lobot. I needed 4 and rolled a 4. I made a very strange choice but I felt it was the right one. I knew Vader was going to be able to get some damage in when he won init, so I actually set up R2, Han and Obi so he could sweep all 3. Which actually worked out for me, because I got alot of damage on Vader but only lost r2. Then he also got reserves and pulled in 4 more activations. Obi killed one of the dignitaries and a mouse droid with a repulse. Last round thrawn killed my mouse in gambit. He advanced a gran so he would swap in vader. My uggie missed the gran. Vader swapped in and with leap+speed, he could reach han, who then died. The game went to time after 5 rounds. Ended up being very close, I felt bad at the end because Sithfan forgot to mark 1 of my gambit rounds in his notes so he thought he won by 4 but it ended up being 52-51 because I had 4 rounds of gambit (round 1-4 and my dead mouse droid didn't get gambit for the 5th round), a dignitary kill and Lobot. The closest game I have ever played.

4th Round was against Daniel playing Viable except 3 uggies in place of the dignitary and gran. I lost map roll and we played on ruined base. I set up inside. I Obi spent for speed and got me gambit. R2 locked the door to protect him. Throne was parked in gambit but with sight out of the door. My orginal plan was to pick of the throne and force him to expose the rest of his squad. Put 60 on the throne. Then he advanced dash and vader. I saw a good chance to kill dash if I won init, so based him with obi. He won init and ran dash 14 away. I exposed Luke to a grip4 by accident. Jagged and ozzel killed uggies and mouse droids. Han, Luke and Rieekan kill ozzel and Dash. OBi killed some uggies and then chased down Dash. I eventually caught dash, but lost dodonna. Vader finished luke and r2. When time was called it was a very close game but we counted the points and the only way for Daniel to win was to saber throw5 at han who was next to Rieekan and if he crit rieekan, he would win. He rolled a crit and a "1".

5th Round was against Shinja playing his Speedy Cannon variant with Chewwy of Hoth. I won map roll. At this point he and I were the only undefeated players. Someone else was paired down and lost. I screwd up this game from the start. Being round 5 and playing against squads that didn't have alot of mobility left in a bad mind set for this game and I got creamed. Shinja was a great sport, but he bent me over this game. I think I killed Nadine, put 20 on the ERC and 40 on Leia. That was about it. Great game Shinja, you are a hell of a guy.

6th round was against Darcy playing twilek's. We both had the same map and he won side choice. I woke up alittle bit after getting pwn'd by Shinja. I set up better and was ready for a good game. I got an early shot on lobot with Han (spending for speed) and killed another. This made it an uphill battle for him. I ended up with a repulse killing a twilek, a czerka and putting 30 on the free twilek. Obi took 80 that round. I actually used push4 to ensure a kill on the twilek with 10 hp because i didn't want to risk spending for speed to base it and needing a 7. I then used push 2 with mobile to get 20 on the last twilek and then get hidden. He ran the twilek the other way and got an los to rieekan. hitting him for 40 and jolting him. I piled mouse droids and uggies in front of him. He got reserves and pulled in 4 troopers. Xizor kept OBi busy for like 3 rounds. Obi eventually took an aoo to get 20 on mas who was then killed by dodonna or rieekan (don't remember) I either missed all my attacks or failed all the pheromones checks. Luke and Han killed the twilek and the troopers. Xizor kills Obi and then Han and Luke kill Xizor. We were both Joking around alot through this...I think with it being 6th round it was a less than perfect game but we had fun.

My opponents ending up going 3-3, 4-2, 4-2, 5-1, 5-1, 5-1. I had actually played all three of the other top 4. What a great event. We didn't have any players go 6-0. My pass in being sent straight to Shinja. Thanks for Bloomilk man! I am really excited to see how the Bloomilk Championship ends up!

Big thanks to everyone for playing, and to Mark IV and Cybit for Judging. Uncle's Games did a great job handling this for us. I was also really happy to meet the guys who drove down from Canada. Really nice guys. Had alot of good times. A father and son were watching my first game and I was explaining aspects of the game to them as they wanted to start playing more. We compiled 30 rares and very rares to provide extra prizes for people who came.

We had about 8 people at Applebee's afterwards (thanks for hanging out Chuckafett!)and then some people hanging out at Chris' place for some drinks aswell until about 2 am.
shinja
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:21:19 PM
Groups: Administration

MAINEiac wrote:
On the average how many rounds did your tourney games go. Just curious. thanks
MAINEiac
.... trying to finagle a way to get to the bloomilk tourney in OCT!

I updated my original post. All of my games ended very quickly (usually 3-4 rounds, or about 20 minutes), except the last round. In that game, my opponent had a ton of activations and the game just went more slowly. That was the only round of mine that went to time.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 12:41:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

38, bravo. ThumpUp
ChuckaFett
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:25:00 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

Had a great time, didn't do so well (2-4), but still had fun! I always have a fantastic time when I get a chance to come down and visit you fine people in Bellevue, I just wished you all lived about an hour closer so I could come more often! Wonderful to see Sithfan again, and meet some of the other Canadian guys as well.

Well done Charles on a fantastic win! (A very nice thing as well, passing on the badge to Aaron!)
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:06:04 PM

ChuckaFett wrote:
Had a great time, didn't do so well (2-4), but still had fun! I always have a fantastic time when I get a chance to come down and visit you fine people in Bellevue, I just wished you all lived about an hour closer so I could come more often! Wonderful to see Sithfan again, and meet some of the other Canadian guys as well.

Well done Charles on a fantastic win! (A very nice thing as well, passing on the badge to Aaron!)

My understanding is that if Daniel won he was giving the Badge to Shinja aswell. The badge should pass to the highest placed player who actually goes anyway. Aslong as Shinja pwns some face at gencon : )

We always enjoy having you join us down here Chuck : ) That hour+ drive doesn't change the fact you are part of the "Bellevue Bloomilk Clan" : )
LoboStele
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 3:24:12 AM

Nicely down, Omnus! Interesting that we had two separate regionals where the 1st place finisher never faced GOWK, lol. That happens though when you have that many players and only 3-4 GOWK squads. Definitely doesn't take anything away from your win though, so well done!

And Shinja....holy crap man...5-1 with Chewie of Hoth? Well done! I see what your plan was in general with that squad, and it's fairly solid, even if it is a bit odd looking squad.

Sounds like you guys had a great event, and with the groundswell of SWM players out there, I'm not surprised that you managed to end up having the largest Regional in the country. Kudos to you all!
RevRevGar
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:45:27 AM

I had a great time playing! I played my number one favorite game ever at the Regionals, never will forget the crazyiness. Some great stories. I placed 18th, and doubt anyone wants the low down on how all my games went... But thanks all for coming, and thank you Charles for doing so much to get this all figured out. And thanks to the Judges, really appreciate the help you gave me, (especially in beating the rules of physics with my force push :] ).

Congrats to Omnus for 1st, and to Shinja, for making it 5 rounds without losing. And good job to my brother for placing third.

-RevRevGar