RegisterDonateLogin

It's not wise to upset Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ring Theory - Itll Blow Your Mind Options
theConsortium
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 10:16:47 PM
Groups: Member

Greetings all.

I've recently discovered something rather intriguing about the original and prequel trilogies that I thought worth sharing. I don't necessarily know if this is news to everyone, but hopefully you'll find the insights offered by these sources as awe-inspiring as I did.

What is this discovery? It's something called "Ring Theory."

Now, as many fans of the saga know, George Lucas studied mythic elements of ancient storytelling through the works of Joseph Campbell, most especially in The Hero with a Thousand Faces. This isn't exactly news to scholarship; many analysts have compared George Lucas' stories to ancient myths, especially in the "hero's journey" or the "tragic hero" narrative. But apparently that wasn't all that Lucas was up to, at least, according to Mike Klimo.

Apparently something he calls "Ring Theory" (derived from ring composition) offers further insight into the familiar cycles that the narrative travels through. You might have noticed certain parallels between the Star Wars trilogies - remember how Emperor Palpatine watches Luke and Vader duel while a space-battle wages outside? Well, Palpatine also watched Anakin and Dooku fight aboard the Invisible Hand while a space-battle raged on over Coruscant. Vader's hand is cut off, Dooku's hands are cut off, etc. Anyway, to get to the point - these parallels introduce thematic elements, many of which are common in myth (the circular nature of history, the predestination of meetings and events). Apparently it goes much deeper than that, and the entire Star Wars saga could be intricately connected in ways that you wouldn't expect - I certainly didn't.

At this point, you might be thinking, "What is this conspiracy theory and why should I believe it?"

Well, the original article (which is more of an academic analysis than a conspiracy theory, thank you very much) can be found in the link below. It might require some patience to get through, but read the entire thing if you have the time - it's worth it.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

Also, this YouTube video (about two minutes long) is a visual compilation of just some of the parallels that the two trilogies share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs

I know that this isn't the usual subject of discussion of Bloomilk, but I was really excited to discover this article, and thought to share it with the community. Perhaps some of you are already familiar with it, but if you aren't, it's certainly worth a read.

Best,
theConsortium