RegisterDonateLogin

And you thought it smelled bad on the outside.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

DCI ANNOUNCEMENT? Options
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:37:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Was the DCI announcement just the Errata and FAQ for JA the only thing we were getting today? I thought that there was supposed to be a big announcement.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:00:11 AM
Groups: Member

I don't know about an "announcement" but I assume you are referring to the DCI Floor Rules Update. It is slated for July 1st, but remember, WotC has been less than consistent on posting the floor rules updates in a timely fashion in the past. They day is still here though, so I still hope for it sometime later, but wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't posted today either.
Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:07:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks man
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:11:26 AM

Urza Planeswalker Jedi Master wrote:
Was the DCI announcement just the Errata and FAQ for JA the only thing we were getting today? I thought that there was supposed to be a big announcement.

Well the floor rules were submitted over a month ago and they are due to be posted today.

But let me give you a past history of Wizards deadlines. Last floor rules update I submitted them by their impsed deadline of Dec 1. They did not get posted until Feb 2009 and it took me yelling at the top of my lungs to get it up that fast.

So at this point who knows

ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:16:48 AM

I see that have new Magic rules up. Just goes to further show which game gets their support and which is like the unloved child.

DCI Document Center
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:18:59 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
I see that have new Magic rules up. Just goes to further show which game gets their support and which is like the unloved child.

DCI Document Center

oh if you only knew the whole story
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:41:54 AM

dnemiller wrote:
ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:

DCI Document Center

oh if you only knew the whole story

I know most of it. Enough to make me wonder why I have stuck with this game for so long. (mostly because it has Star Wars stamped on the box)
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:38:17 PM

You have to be kidding right? MTG is their bread and butter. From a business point of view they need to make sure it gets attention first. Let's face it SWM will never be a MTG fan base. A MTG championship can earn you 10's of 1000's of $$$ in prize money. The big prize at the biggest event is going to win you a lap top for SWM. There are real pro's playing MTG. They make an actual living playing it. It's like comparing little league to the major league. Who would you pay your attention to if you owned both teams? I don't see SWM going down the tubes though. It has a good fan base and in our area it actually has a bigger venue than any other game.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:16:46 PM

Mickey wrote:
You have to be kidding right? MTG is their bread and butter. From a business point of view they need to make sure it gets attention first. Let's face it SWM will never be a MTG fan base. A MTG championship can earn you 10's of 1000's of $$$ in prize money. The big prize at the biggest event is going to win you a lap top for SWM. There are real pro's playing MTG. They make an actual living playing it. It's like comparing little league to the major league. Who would you pay your attention to if you owned both teams? I don't see SWM going down the tubes though. It has a good fan base and in our area it actually has a bigger venue than any other game.

I understand that Magic is a bigger game. it is the game that the company was based on and has been around MUCH longer than SWM. If I were the head of Wizos and I had a license with the popularity of Star Wars I might put a little more time and care into the product that is being produced. This game could be much bigger if they would tweak a few things about the way they run it.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:54:17 AM

From what I understand the devs like Sarah do take messages with ideas. Might be worth your time to write one at the WoTC forums. I'm all for making the game better. The thing is for every idea you have there are people who will hate it. That is just the way it is. The longer a game is around the more opinionated people get about the direction of the game. There are people going off in all sorts of directions with their ideas. It gets to a point the devs have a hard time pleasing people.

I think the game is fun like it is. I wouldn't mind seeing less mistakes in printing but other than that I have few complaints. The directions I would like to see it take I just do them on my own and we play house rules if everyone agrees. We've done that for years with the games we play. Recently I even found a couple of sites. One has indepth rules for roleplaying and the other has rules for large scale warfare like you would see in Battlefronts. I downloaded them. Now I just have to find some time to read them.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:06:58 AM

I'm not really talking about changing the game. I would like to see the mistakes eliminated. I would like to see reprints eliminated. I would LOVE to see the cost of the game come down. It wasn't that bad having to drop $9.99 on a boostercand not getting anything great, but $14.99 to pull an Oddball, Logrey, or another untradable double is a little tough to swallow. I would think that the new 40 piece sets would be less expensive to make and they could pass that savings on to us since cost seems to be the big thing keeping people away from the game.

The big problem with the game is the amount of support that it gets from Wizards. They do minimal advertising, very little prize support for events, slow responses to issues and slow release of fixes or rules clarifications. In general, I think that they put out a decent (sometimes great) product that is just sent out to set on shelves. They know they still have a goldmine in Magic and give it and their roleplaying games, but I think with just a little extra effort SWM could get to a place where it is a very successful game that welcomes new players and keeps veterans happy.
StriderRe80
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:22:40 AM

honestly i am surprised that they have not come out with a magic miniature game yet
Cybit
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:26:05 AM

Update: It looks like they are waiting till NN gets back from vacation before they make an announcement about it. Probably after the holiday weekend.

Mickey
Posted: Thursday, July 2, 2009 7:45:25 AM

I keep my costs down by not buying random boosters. I buy one case then rely on competitions, trading, and ebay. I do agree with alot you said.