RegisterDonateLogin

It's what's for dinner...in space.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2016 Options
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2016 7:59:15 AM
Groups: Member

Anyone have any ideas on dates which we could run this? I am willing to run the event this year if Trevor isn't able to.
Mando
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 5:18:10 AM

i'd be interested in this if we do it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 1:40:45 PM

I'd be interested too.

Here's something depressing though - even though in theory a vassal regional should have the biggest turnout, it often had the lowest.

Perhaps this is because we are always trying to run the vassal regional the same way we run a regular regional. We try and carve out a whole day (always a Saturday) to have everyone across the world be able to attend at once.

But the advantage of vassal is that we shouldn't have to do that.

Run it like other vassal tournies have been run - over the course of several weeks.

Make pairings, and have people get the games in when schedules work.

That way nobody has to take the day off work, take a day away from family, etc.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2016 2:48:23 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I'd be interested too.

Here's something depressing though - even though in theory a vassal regional should have the biggest turnout, it often had the lowest.

Perhaps this is because we are always trying to run the vassal regional the same way we run a regular regional. We try and carve out a whole day (always a Saturday) to have everyone across the world be able to attend at once.

But the advantage of vassal is that we shouldn't have to do that.

Run it like other vassal tournies have been run - over the course of several weeks.

Make pairings, and have people get the games in when schedules work.

That way nobody has to take the day off work, take a day away from family, etc.

+ forever

This Timmer guy may be on to something. ThumbsUp
Darth O
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:26:16 PM

I agree about having it over several days or weeks. I would definitely be in if that were the case.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:44:05 PM

So is this happening?
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:45:20 PM

+1
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:16:14 AM

having it happen over the course of a few days sounds like a great idea! i'm definetely in if that is the case. We will need to keep the same team and send the teams we are entering to the organizer prior to entering, that way its like a real regional.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:33:32 AM

Mando wrote:
having it happen over the course of a few days sounds like a great idea! i'm definetely in if that is the case. We will need to keep the same team and send the teams we are entering to the organizer prior to entering, that way its like a real regional.

+1 I'm in
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:55:03 AM

I'd be happy to run it again if you guys would like. Or Matt can take it if that's what y'all would prefer.

The NZ style (ie, one round per week, fit your game in when you can, etc) sounds good, and it will probably help attendance. We'll be using the same squad and map choice throughout the whole event, though, right? It all looks good to me, and I'll look forward to playing!

However, I haven't updated the Vassal stuff since V-Set 10; it seems like people are hardly ever on, and it takes me multiple hours of work for each update so it just isn't worth it.
--This means that the newer V-Set pieces will still be usable, but you'll have to use proxies (very easy with Vassal).
--It also means that the map selections are not up to date either. It seems like this would be the main issue, but also one of the easiest to fix. Therefore, if someone can send me high-quality images of each of the maps that is not currently in the Vassal mod, I can add them and then upload it before the tournament starts. If this happens, then I'll organize the map selection window to show them as List A, B, C, and D for ease of use. But I will need high quality electronic copies of the new maps, or else we will just have to limit ourselves to the maps that are already on Vassal. I'm willing to do either, though I'd obviously prefer it if we could use the new maps.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:58:03 AM

Once we come to a consensus about what to do regarding the maps, then we can start to plan a timeframe and start a Sign-Up thread.

So I think the next step is to see if anyone has electronic copies of the new maps; if you do, or if you can get access to them, then please post here or BM me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 1:20:42 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Once we come to a consensus about what to do regarding the maps, then we can start to plan a timeframe and start a Sign-Up thread.

So I think the next step is to see if anyone has electronic copies of the new maps; if you do, or if you can get access to them, then please post here or BM me.

If you can get the new maps, then GREAT! If not, list B has no new maps.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 4:21:49 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

If you can get the new maps, then GREAT! If not, list B has no new maps.
True, that would be a good option if we needed it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2016 2:25:27 PM

Is this happening? We are running out of time
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2016 7:41:34 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Is this happening? We are running out of time
I was just thinking that, actually, and that's why I came to this thread tonight.

In the absence of new map files being sent to me, I guess we'll be using Map List B for the event.

Now we need to decide on a timeframe.

==> What timeframe do you guys want for this vassal regional? [Plan on allowing up to 1 week per game, so sooner is better.] Can we start as early as next week (Sunday June 12)?

Once a few of us can agree on a start date I'll set up a full-scale sign-up thread.

Darth_ted_82
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2016 7:50:56 PM

I'm good to go for whenever. I've never actually played in any tournament or game that's official, but I've been wanting to for a while, now.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:16:00 AM

Yes, ASAP.

June 12th sounds great.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:33:51 AM

+1 Yes sir
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 5:12:04 PM

Ok, I'll make a post tonight. Should we start later than June 12 though? I'm afraid it might not be enough time for people to hear about it and sign up.