RegisterDonateLogin

May not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How serious of a gamer are you? Options
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:24:09 PM
Groups: Member

I'm curious how serious of a gamer most people here are. What I mean by that is that it's a given you play or have played SWM, but what else do you play? Is it just SWM? Do you play Monopoly, Risk, Scrabble and other Parker Brothers or Hasbro type games? Do you play tabletop RPGs regularly? Do you play "designer" games like Terra Mystica? Do you mostly play video games?

What are you playing now? What are your favorite games?

Personally I'm a fairly serious gamer. I play a wide variety of both digital and tabletop games as often as possible, which sadly isn't much nowadays. Dominion is my all-time favorite game, and I've played well over 1,000 plays of it (probably around 1,500 now). I love anything by Bruno Faidutti, especially Citadels and Ad Astra. I enjoy heavy games like Twilight Imperium but also lighter things like Coup. It has to have some strategy to it though and not primarily be a party game; I don't really like Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity, although I'll play either if somebody else really wants to. As for video games I play Hearthstone a good bit (reached Legend for the first time last spring) and I'm a sucker for any other digital card games (I've played Solforge, Duelyst, War of Omens, The Elder Scrolls Legends, and others). Outside if those I enjoy strategy games (Civ, XCOM) and single player action games (Dishonored, the Batman Arkham series). I mostly play games on PC but also have a Wii U which I greatly enjoy. I don't play many multiplayer games other than the card games; never really got into Call of Duty or League of Legends.

So I play just about anything, and gaming is my #1 hobby. What about you? Are you just a SWM player? Do you love any other multiplayer competitive games?
chainparalysis
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:13:32 PM

Bloody near anything that's a game i'll play! Video games, tabletop games, wargames, board games, card games... Except monopoly... That's some serious Bull****... But i play Magic, DnD, elder scrolls, Warhammer, and most obviously and importantly, SWM!
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:22:37 PM

Man, I wish I had more time.

All I play is SWM and Chess right now. ;( with an occasional book to read

but I do have a wife and four kids and a special ed job and a coaching job and a gym membership that I try to use. So much to do and so little time to do it with.
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:45:13 PM

I play Empire Total War, Battlefront 4, and Neverwinter Saga. I love to play Axis and Allies when I get together with friends.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:51:09 PM

Pretty serious. Love my video games (currently play IOS/3DS strategy games [XCOM/Fire Emblem favourites], and console PS4 games free from the local library haha) and a wide variety of board games. While SWM is my favourite it's one I can only play with my serious gaming group. We also enjoy bouts of Battlestar Galactica (excellent TV series and amazing board game). I even occasionally get to partake in an epic board game axis and allies/risk session, or Distant Plain game.
Most of my gaming these days with having a newborn to care for is with my wife so coop only. Star Trek Frontiers (superior Mage knight reskin), XCOM board game and pandemic legacy are our staples. But Coup is a great quick versus game she will play to. I have tried to summon her to the darkside of SWM but only the odd game out of her.
But SWM will always have my gaming heart. Also solo starship battles is a good time haha.

So yep pretty stupid gamer
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:14:26 PM

Don't play board games nearly as often as I would like to - most of my board-game-playing friends live more than a quick drive away. Play minis (mostly on Vassal), Pandemic, Don Eskridge's The Resistance (think Mafia with more structure), Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan... none of those often enough, but those are my favorites.

Electronically, some Minecraft and good ol' Star Wars: Battlefront I and II. Formerly Age of Empires II, and Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon (naval combat simulator... in space). Haven't gotten either to work since I upgraded to Windows 10 Glare
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:03:29 PM

Personally I love all games, really. Love me some minis, Black Ops 3 Zombies, Battlefronts new and old, Team Fortress 2, single player and multiplayer games (Think Batman Arkham, Mario series, Uncharted, etc.). The list goes on and on.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:53:48 PM

I am heavy into video games, both in playing and collecting. Right now, I'm sitting at about 1,100 physical games. My core focus is the 360, but I have been getting a lot of N64 and SNES lately. And my digital collection's no slouch either with about 900 games in my Steam library.

Probably my most notable accomplishments in collecting is that I have over half of the Xbox 360 library in physical form and I have the 5th largest single-effect unusual collection in Team Fortress 2.

http://vgcollect.com/emporerdragon
http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198000322172

As for what I play, I'm generally up for anything except for simulation sports. I find them bleh. Right now, I'm playing Fallout 4 again with an end goal of turning every settlement into something awesome without cheats/mods. I'm also replaying Super Mario RPG now that I have a genuine copy.

For the more traditional games, I've got a rather decent library going on too (just shy of 50 games), especially since I'm the core host for game nights in my circles of friends (Having a dedicated man cave for gaming plus a table that's clean makes for a perfect location). Right now, our core favorites are Smash-Up (can't wait to get the new expansion that just came out), Catan, Machi Koro, Forbidden Island, and Cartoon Network: Crossover Crisis. Opinions may change by the end of this week as I'll be introducing Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, The Grizzled, and a few others on the next game night.
Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 5:42:40 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:

Electronically, some Minecraft and good ol' Star Wars: Battlefront I and II. Formerly Age of Empires II, and Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon (naval combat simulator... in space). Haven't gotten either to work since I upgraded to Windows 10 Glare

Battle at Procyon is SO good. Way better than a game based on an animated movie has any business being. Suprising depth in the system. Alas, I too cannot get it to work.

I love both board games and computer games. I mostly like competetive strategy games but the people I play with like coop, so I play a lot of pandemic, shadows over camelot, and star trek panic. I also play some mtg and heroclix.

Video game wise I love mass effect 1 and 2, dark souls 1, and doing anything but the main story quest in any bethesda game. Also been playing way to much smite and unturned (check em out, they're free).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:26:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Pretty much just tabletop games. I've logged my plays at BGG since 2006.

https://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/user/FlyingArrow/subtype/boardgame

As you can see, I'm really into Go Away Monster, Cranium Cariboo, Candyland, Memory, The Magic Labyrinth, and Poppa's Pizza Topple. Among others.
jak
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:11:18 AM

I play games 2 times a week.
Wednesday evening is our Heroclix gamesThumpUp
Saturdays we play a variety of games.
Our once a month SWM day, has been replaced with playing Imperial Assault.

I play video game sometimes, always on my PC.
still enjoy Warcraft, Starcraft,Battle front,and Elderscrolls games.

so I suppose playing 2x a week make me pretty serious about funThumbsUp
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:33:06 AM

I have a large collection of boardgames. Don't really have time to list them all. I get together with friends to play boardgames once per week, sometimes 2 times. I like to have at least one type of boargame for each category (deck builder, epic board game, workerplacement, racing game, etc....) and i've got a fun variety of games over the years and it is my favorite past time to do. I'd take playing board games over any other type of gaming personally. Its much more personal and you get fun social interaction with people right across the table. Jamaica and Viticulture are currently favorites to play among my friends.

I also love playing computer games. Overwatch is the one i currently play the most (obikenobi1 is my game name on there) but I also enjoy playing Civilization 5. Age of Empires 3, Sid Meir's Pirates, Dominion online, Star Realms online, Pokemon online, and Star Wars The Old Republic.

I play card games every week. Pokemon (i know i know......its nostalgic for me, so it makes me happy playing it with my friends), Dominion, Star Realms, Star Flux, Batman Flux, and Smash Up (my favorite personally).

I play Star Wars RPG (WotC version). Been a GM for 6 years now. Longest campaign lasted for 3 years. Really fun times!

Caedus
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:23:29 AM

jak wrote:

ThumbDown Does this mean there will be no Frosty Con 3.0?Crying
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:48:53 PM

Mando wrote:
and Smash Up (my favorite personally).

Mine too, all the fun of a CCG, but none of the sting to the wallet. Any particular favorite factions/combos? For standalone factions, my top factions are Killer Plants, Steampunk, and Mythic Horses, but my most effective combo ever has been Shapeshifting Kitty Cats,as that combo basically lets you use opponent's minions as sacrifices to get your better minions out there. Alien Minions of Cthulhu was also quite effective as I could keep replaying my Invader over and over, winning the game without breaking a base. On the flipside, I don't care much for the Elves, Insmouth, or Tornadoes, though my overall worst defeat was when I played Orcish Giant Ants.

Though, we always play with randomized factions, so no one falls into any sense of familiarity or complacency.
jak
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 5:39:36 AM

Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:

no,Frosty will happen, with enough participation.It's all about hangin' with the boys, not playing SWM, for me.
maybe you can make a weekend of this time?
fyi-it'll still be Frosty Con 2.0- the 2.0 refers to the movement of the event from Lockport NY to Stow OH
juice man
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 6:14:27 AM

jak wrote:
Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:

no,Frosty will happen, with enough participation.It's all about hangin' with the boys, not playing SWM, for me.
fyi-it'll still be Frosty Con 2.0- the 2.0 refers to the movement of the event from Lockport NY to Stow OH
Instead of Epic 500 or Royal Rumble, maybe we could try out the Alternate Rules format?
Caedus
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 7:04:18 AM

jak wrote:
Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:

I will try. It's just difficult with work and a 3 yr old
donnyrides
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 7:50:52 AM

I like to think of myself as a gaming enthusiast.

My favorite games as categorized by me are:
Basic boardgame gateway drug game
I call these gateway drug games because they are great simple games to get new gamers out of Monopoly and Risk mode and into something a bit more complex.
Catan - It's simple to teach and is played in less than 1 hour. If you are playing with new players you can play nice and make normal trades and if it's a hardcore group you can ramp up the cut-throatness. Another good game for this is one of my new favorites, Worlds Fair.

Worker placement
Love games like Stone Age. Again a simple game where luck plays a part, but strategy and planning are required. Another favorite from this category is euphoria build a better dystopia. Dumb name, cool game.

Deck Building/Card games - NOT MAGIC!!!!
I love and hate Magic the Gathering. Hate the "mana" system. To random. BUT I do enjoy Dominion which is a true Deck Building game where everybody starts at the same place and the goal is the same, to gain the most victory points. You may need to impact other players with attack cards that will impact how they play their next turn or you may just play your own game and hope you do better, but the fact that you start in the same place as your opponents and gear how you build your deck based on your possible choices at that time, makes the game new and fun every time. Other fun games are Muchkin and Citadels

non-combat strategy (Euro-style)
Some of the above game are technically Euro-style, but my classification is a little different. In this category I add games where you have to watch what your opponents do and try to hinder them without direct combat while still gaining for yourself. My favorite game for this category is hands down Puerto Rico. Every choice you make in the game shapes how you AND your opponents progress. Some times you do things that don't help you at all, but can really hinder your opponents (pick captain even if you don't have any goods, if you can force somebody to dump all their goods). A true multiplayer chess match IMO. Another fun option for this category is 7 wonders. A game where players pass a deck of cards around the table and select cards from them draft style to build your scoring or means of scoring. Sometimes you take a card because you know the person you are passing a deck to could really benefit from the card. It's a fun thinker of a game. Worker placement generally fall under this category.

Battle games (Ameri-trash)
These are games with lots of pieces and direct combat is how you win the game. They are very much like risk but with a little more hair on their chest. Games such as A Game of Thrones and Kemet . Games of thrones is a 4 hour blood bath of alliances and back stabbing. I temporarily lose friends over this game. Kemet is also a blood bath, but only takes about 1.5 hours and you don't feel too bad about losing or getting screwed because the time investment isn't as great. It's a great game but has only a few main winning strategies. I can go deeper into this topic on demand, just let me know....

Coop games
These are honestly my favorite. I like to end the game night with something like Pandemic or Shadows Over Camelot. Games where it's your game group against the board. You pick a bad action for the board, which is a choice of the lesser of a few evils, then you pick a good action for the group. The goal is to save the world from a rampant illness or save Camelot from the forces of evil. They are a lot of fun and the group gets to feel success or defeat together which is a nice way to mend fences after a night of trying to crush each other ;)

There are a lot of other games I've played but these are a quick showcase of the ones I like most.

EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 2:00:45 PM

Well, I can safely say that Rick and Morty: Total Rickall has now shot up to the top of the favorite game ranks in my group.

For those unfamiliar with it, the game's a semi cooperative card game where players must kill all investing parasites while avoiding shooting beloved family friends. However, each player is also dealt a close personal buddy who can be real or a parasite, leading to two different groups, the reals who try to kill all parasites, and the parasites, who want the game to end with at least one parasite left. And of course, a players sides can easily change as cards will shuffle the identity cards around or if their real buddy gets shot.

Probably the highlight of those games was when me and one friend spent 5 minutes trying to convince another friend that the other one of us was a parasite and should be shot. In the end I got shot (R.I.P. Homeless Puppet) and had to be talked down at the end of the game to not shoot Photography Raptor in retaliation as if he was real, everyone lost, but if he was a parasite, only he would win.
buttcabbge
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2016 11:48:02 PM

Pretty serious, though I don't get to play stuff as much as I'd like. SWM is really the only collectible game I ever got into. Mostly I play tabletop stuff. I've been very into Tzolkin since I played for the first time at Gencon this year--anyone who is into resource management games a la Puerto Rico should really give it a shot. I also have played quite a bit of SW Rebellion this year. That game is a ton of fun, and scratches my Axis and Allies itch from when my friends and I played that back in high school. Love Scrabble as well, though I haven't played in ages. And I also share your love of Dominion.