RegisterDonateLogin

Look sir, Milk!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Jedi Academy Top 10 Options
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:19:58 AM
Groups: Member

First off...I just want to say overall this is a great set. There really isn't a "bad" piece in the whole set.

10) Jedi Battlemaster
Now this wasn't the most creative of the pieces and the texture/detail of the scuplt ended up being mediocre. But this was a nice Jedi piece with agressive costing. This was a great step forward for Old Republic. With the right commander or utility piece these could see some serious play. I do have to say the attempt at a more unique scuplt is appreciated even though the final product could have turned out better.

9) Crimson Nova Bounty Hunter
Overlooked for the most part, but still a nice piece, good looking scuplt while being useful. I am always happy when we get more alien scuplts : ) I feel like there are alot of small aspects to the CNBH that make her good. 30 hp is key. With Yobuck running around it's nice keep her out of the easy gallop death. 15 points makes for good reserves/reinforcement totals. Lobot can bring her and a Caamasi in. CLobot or RS Jabba can bring in two of her. Great synergy with a Czerka. I think at the very least this is a great piece for your reserves/reinforcement extras...a nice damage output piece for when you don't need the extra activations.

8) Death Watch Raider
At first glance I didn't think much of the piece. But its really nice to have another Cunning Attack option for Mando's. And this one has Mobile built in. If you are running the Quatermaster and Captain (which the Scouts love too) you are getting +15 for 30 twin after factoring in Cunning. A great way to punish the tempo control squads that are delaying their activation to avoid the heavy Scout Damage. Also I really like this piece having 40 hp after factoring in Internal Strife. Let your opponent think they are going to have this shooter right in the middle of your pieces next round and then near the end of the round use your captian, QM or a single scout twin to finish of the piece and you get 15 points for the kill...not your opponent. Happy to see something that wasn't just a slight tweak on an already existing piece like the Jedi Battlemaster, Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Guardian and HK-50.

7) Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
Now New Republic got a lot of love this set, but this one I appreciate more than most. A female mini that actually looks decent is a big plus. Nice overall stats that make sense for the character. Leia always seems to get cool CE's and this is no different. Rerolling Allies' saves works great with NR. Force sense, Force Absorb and Lightsaber Throw 2 are a great combination of powers for her. I wish he had recieved Delfect considering she doesn't get access to evade like most of comrades but I can't complain too much she did get 90 hp for only 25 points.

6) Sith Lord
I loved this piece before I even saw the stats. Great scuplt which still had nice detail and texture unlike the JBM. The aggressive costing is extremely appreciated. 23 points for 90 hp, and 18 def. The +9 attack is alittle sour but I am not without the ability to forgive because 4 force points with a great duo of force powers. Force Lightning 2 is my favorite force power. You get a lot for only 2 force. 30 damage and you kill the R2, AD next to it. Damages all the BG's running around aswell. Plus if you are trying hit something with Force Defense, you still have the option to get 6 spaces away from the piece they are next too and shock that...hitting both while being 7 squares from the character with Defense. The second power being Lightsaber Assault is a great second option. Enemy has Force Immunity? Lightsaber Assault! Enemy has 40 health left and Lightning just won't finish it? Lightsaber Assault! The low attack hurts but most of the time if I am attacking, it seems to be against an uggie or I am assaultin gthe 40 hp rex or a Vong in which case the defense is pretty low anyway. Well designed and looks cool.

5) The Dark Woman
Easy start with this one...another good female sculpt. Thank You, WOTC. This piece atleast gives us hope that WOTC can still think outside of the box, come up with new (and interesting force powers) and Hp vs Cost is not locked into a pre-generated formula. The Dark Woman bring alot to the table. At 110 points she can challenging to kill in 150 point games. Walking through walls provides some nice options for anyone willing to be creative. And on top of everything else she has Light Tutor and its not restricted by faction. 1 force point for Boba or Rex can go a long ways. Especially if you are getting some +attack to Dash or Jango via Quigon because of it.

4) The Jedi Exile
Now this really isn't my favorite scuplt, but I like that we got another piece that really didn't seem to fall into normal WOTC mini design. Average health vs HP (120 compared to 49 points) but it really nice to see her with a commander effect normally reserved for 70+ point figures. Repulse seemed like an odd choice for a force power for the exile but I really like that she recieved for Force Defense. Finally a character that isn't Yoda or Luke that can use Defense against force powers. Good combinations of abilities and stats. It would have been nice to get a lightsaber style on the character bu she got force renewel so I will be happy with what we got : )

3) Disciple of Ragnos
It's pretty cool that a common can be this good. With only 50 health it wasn't quite at Unique costing but remains very good for a non-unique. And with Imperial not getting alot in the set, this little jewel was a great boon. 20 points, 50 Health with renwel, Lightning 2 (you already now how I feel about this power) and he has Force Corruption 2 as a secondary option for when he is based. I also have to mention that being 20 points makes him perfect option for Ozzel reserves rolls! The paint job and sculpt evens looks good, especially for a common.

2) Grand Master Yoda
I got very excited when I saw the box art and new a Battle Yoda was incoming. The scuplt got me worried but the mini did not dissapoint. No mastery of the force but the mini really got everything else. 150 health, 55 points, 22 def, 15 attack, 3 force with Renewel, Defense and Lightsaber Defense. But Grand Master Yoda got a few new tricks aswell. Ataru Style Mastery granting twin aswell as +4 attack is a nice creative bonus to an already cool mini. The synergy between Lightsaber Throw 3 and Ataru Style Mastery just screams. Anyone willing to tow Yoda and count 6 squares can pull off some fun moves in casual play or DCI games. It is sad that we didn't get a battle scuplt for this mini but we get a nice CE. +3 Attack and Defense is impressive by itself even on a mediocre character.

1) Kol Skywalker
This was a really tough choice. In a set where there are a ton of great miniatures but nothing quite at the insane level...which is best? I had to go with Kol for this one. It's so easy to come up with pieces that have a ton of abilities and cost through the roof to justify them but Kol keeps it simple. For only 38 points this guy is a bargain. Block and Precision of a melee piece is nothing new, but if the idea isn't broken...don't fix it : ) Sticking aggressive stats on a Jedi is never a bad idea when the name of the game is "Star Wars". But Kol also got push 2, mastery and Renewel. I think Kol will find his way into tier 1 play, just because he does so much for only 38 points. I think it will take a few games before everyone really sees how tough this new jedi really is.

Now...with all that said...I have a few serious dissapointments...

3) Krath War Droid
This ended up being seriously mediocre. IG-100 magnagaurd droid is better for less points and is in a faction with better support. Atleast twin (instead of double) and 50 or 60 health would have been huge. I was really excited to see this figure included in the set but I thought 40 piece sets were intended to cut out filler...this could have cool and ended up being filler that just got dunked into silver paint. I am actually kind of happy we don't have promos for this because I wouldn't be surprised to see an awesome repaint for this that would just make me more annoyed the stats are lame.

2) Rocket Battle Droid
Very simple...no one felt like they needed more of these. Drop this...add Ugnaught Demolitionist and we wouold have been golden. This set was Champions of the Force 2.0 anyway.

1) Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
The stats were really sad when I saw them. Then I looked at Assajj and realized they were the same points. I got annoyed. Then I looked at the Jedi Battlemaster and realized I would still play a JBM over Maul if he were also 27 points. Atleast put Greater Mobile Attack on the piece so I can pretend he is okay. Kol Skywalker is EU and is considerably better in a faction with better support. It seems like this Maul recieved a vastly different costing structure than the rest of the set. Or maybe the triple attack is alot better in the designer's eyes than in actual play. This one hurt. And the sculpt looks so good too...blasted.
Doogle126
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:33:52 AM

well, this hit the nail with a sledge hammer!
Cecil Poppycock
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:53:56 AM

In addition to the Rocket Battle Droid, I thought another Stormtrooper was a little silly considering the previous set...
Doogle126
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:26:20 AM

Omnus wrote:

4) The Jedi Exile
Now this really isn't my favorite scuplt, but I like that we got another piece that really didn't seem to fall into normal WOTC mini design. Average health vs HP (120 compared to 49 points) but it really nice to see her with a commander effect normally reserved for 70+ point figures. Repulse seemed like an odd choice for a force power for the exile but I really like that she recieved for Force Defense. Finally a character that isn't Yoda or Luke that can use Defense against force powers. Good combinations of abilities and stats. It would have been nice to get a lightsaber style on the character bu she got force renewel so I will be happy with what we got : )

Actually, The Force Repulse is because of the Force Wave Power in KotOR (II)
I used it a lot, it was funny to kill something in the next room without opening doors, like a squad of sith troopers XD
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:31:03 AM

Doogle126 wrote:
Omnus wrote:

4) The Jedi Exile

I used it a lot, it was funny to kill something in the next room without opening doors, like a squad of sith troopers XD

I just thought force repulse was funny, because of all the powers that the exile had or could have in the game...repulse was the one she got. I thought that Force Heal, Knight Speed, Force Stun or something like that would be the more obvious choice. I am not complaining at all, I just think it's odd that Repulse was the one power they decided she should have besides defense out of everything she used.
Omnus
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:32:36 AM

Cecil Poppycock wrote:
In addition to the Rocket Battle Droid, I thought another Stormtrooper was a little silly considering the previous set...

Stormtroopers are in almost every set. Doesn't surprise me at all. And atleast alot of people want them for the RPG or something. And the mini is atleast still okay as far as 5 point minis go.
saeseetiin
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 1:35:57 PM

Kol is a beast for 38 pts can't wait to use him and another stormtrooper I don't get it.
kenred2
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:15:14 PM

Where's HK-50? Shouldn't that be on the list?
joelker41
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:24:04 PM

Omnus wrote:
Doogle126 wrote:
Omnus wrote:

4) The Jedi Exile

I just thought force repulse was funny, because of all the powers that the exile had or could have in the game...repulse was the one she got. I thought that Force Heal, Knight Speed, Force Stun or something like that would be the more obvious choice. I am not complaining at all, I just think it's odd that Repulse was the one power they decided she should have besides defense out of everything she used.

In all honesty it made her that much cooler for me because the coolest power (and honestly the most easy to win with) in that game is Force Wave which Repulse definitely represents. 30 damage and save 11 is spot on because it 'Stunned' opponents in the game.

However it could just be that a generic power like that was just thrown in, but the best powers in that game were Force Wave and Force Storm. Glad she had one of them.
Velox
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 8:44:18 PM

kenred2 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing at first, but the extra 10pt cost for 10hp, 1 att, and 10 damage really isn't worth it over the IG-86.

If you're playing a droid squad, 1 would help to drop the 70hp pieces in 2 activations, otherwise it's more cost effective to stick with IGs.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:21:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What about the new Stormtrooper?!? C'mon!
joelker41
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 3:51:43 AM

I would say the Sith Apprentice for sculpt and the Antarian for versatility are honorable mentions.
markedman247
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 3:59:53 AM

joelker41 wrote:
I would say the Sith Apprentice for sculpt ...

Yes, it's great to see Ming the Merciless as a Sith Apprentice. It was only a matter of time. :)
kenred2
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 4:04:19 AM

Velox wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing at first, but the extra 10pt cost for 10hp, 1 att, and 10 damage really isn't worth it over the IG-86.

If you're playing a droid squad, 1 would help to drop the 70hp pieces in 2 activations, otherwise it's more cost effective to stick with IGs.

The thing is that HK-50's have a higher HP, which makes a difference when running them using "obvious" droid Sep squads against Seps using Lancers, Sid Pawn, etc.... IG's are pretty fragile but still effective... but with that 10pt difference, you still get that extra 10 hp (survivability), 30-40 damage with AoO (not against flight such as Lancers).... but that's not all... since HK-50's base damage is 30, with GG-DAC/BDO, it is able to pick out the Lancer before it comes in for a strafe. Compared to IG-86's, Lancer would be at 10hp and it's survival will cripple your squad if Lancer isn't taken care of first. Which is why in certain "circumstances" HK-50's are actually beneficial... you just have to improvise how many is needed for an effective squad...for me, I'd use 2 with 1x- IG-86.
Omnus
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 7:33:14 AM

This set is too good...Hk-50...good but not top 10

a) simple sculpt, simple paint job

b) it's an ig-86 assasin droid with a slight tweak

It's a good mini but boring. If the point total is right, you may play 1 but if you are running 2 or more...you are probably better off with IG's.
Omnus
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 7:34:07 AM

joelker41 wrote:
I would say the Sith Apprentice for sculpt and the Antarian for versatility are honorable mentions.

I thought about "honorable mentions" but really it would probably be another 10+ minis
Volvagia14
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 7:56:10 AM

nice.

and to point out in the description of Leia, you stated her as a he by mistake in one of the sentences.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 9:03:05 AM

My top 10:

1 Leia Skywalker
2 Kol Skywalker
3 Jedi Exile
4 Dark Woman
5 GM Yoda
6 Kyle CI
7 Jedi Battlemaster
8 Jedi Crusader