RegisterDonateLogin

I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it on Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Escape from Hoth Options
DARPH NADER
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 6:35:32 AM
Groups: Member

So....

It has been a long time and while I have been enjoying the temperate climate in Houston, I still get pangs for the frigid northeast. It occurred to me not too long ago that the means to run a truly epic Hoth event are available. Therefore, I will be beginning to frame out a three tiered event here in Houston, which will incorporate Star Wars Armada, X-wing and SWM. Timing looks to be some time in Q2.

As many of us have done Hoth in the past I'd like to hear what you've done as rules variants, new Vset pieces i.e. (Wedge's Snowspeeeder) to make the ground assault more competitive for the Rebellion.

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 6:36:53 AM

Wowza yowza padowza!

Would love to come see you and yours in Houston.

Specific to the event - say someone is not an armada nor xwing player, how would that work for them (if at all)?
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:04:22 AM

So to that end... What I envision is all three facets running simultaneously. For the ground assault I see both an internal Echo base battle as well as the snowfield shield generator battle being available. This way participants can gravitate to their favorites while offering the opportunity to try something different. The key is to truly represent the three phases of an escape from Hoth.

As I had mentioned its still in the formative stages and as such the reason why I have de-cloaked to ask our SWM community their thoughts on the classic Hoth scenario. Many new vset pieces will help the Rebellion but I don't want to water down the Imps either, it should be balanced enough to provide a reasonable chance of victory for either side.
jak
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 12:28:15 PM

Houston? what planet is that on?
I thought,by now, you sold all things Star Wars for ass-less chaps and cowboy hatsLOL

if you're really missing the cold, there is always Frosty Con!ThumbsUp
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 2:36:50 PM

jak wrote:
Houston? what planet is that on?
I thought,by now, you sold all things Star Wars for ass-less chaps and cowboy hatsLOL

if you're really missing the cold, there is always Frosty Con!ThumbsUp

I may live in the great state of Texas but I shall always be an uptight Easterner... no Hats... no Pickup truck...

I am afraid the weekend is out do to XW Regionals the previous week in Rochester, then Vegas the following weekend. I'm good but a three weekend hall pass would be pushing my luck with the Lady of the Lake.
jak
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 3:32:31 PM

Xwing over SWMCrying
a big reason our game is dying
DARPH NADER
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 8:34:26 PM

jak wrote:
Xwing over SWMCrying
a big reason our game is dying

Alas tis true but this thread is about a wider vision, one in which multiple games can come together to do Hoth on a grander scale. Imagine Wedge, Hobbie, Wes breaking a TIE fighter picket line for Bright Hope's escape in their T-65's. Or the Bright Hope attempting to run the Imperial blockade vs the ISD Avenger. Meanwhile the pitch battle rages on the surface of Hoth, using the best ground based mini system.

So much raw potential across three game systems, then pause to consider what an Endor event could be like...
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 11:42:16 PM

Also props for the double entendres of us folks from the frigid North "escaping Hoth" by visiting you down in the Texas heat.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:26:42 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Also props for the double entendres of us folks from the frigid North "escaping Hoth" by visiting you down in the Texas heat.

but, when the event is staged, we'll be escaping summer heat, for something closer to Tatooine heat.
ps-I miss Lockport
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:44:02 AM

jak wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

but, when the event is staged, we'll be escaping summer heat, for something closer to Tatooine heat.
ps-I miss Lockport

First off, Q2 = Spring, not summer

But yes, point taken.

still, weather is erratic up here. It could snow in Chicago in April.

I remember when Gerry first announced when he was moving. I tried to convince him that he needed to continue Frosty-con (before Jak picked up the torch).

His response was - I'll be in Houston. How could that be Frosty-Con?

I immediately started brainstorming new names (none really sang out as perfect).

Perhaps it wasn't intentional on Ger-bear's part, but in my mind I was like, "that's it! That's the name! Even better that it is a new format which is solidly the theme!"

Besides, I figured Q2 was just a practical function based on Gerry's schedule.