RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo or Bloo not, there is no try.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

MN Event? Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:04:43 PM
Groups: Member

Didn't see this until just a couple of days ago, but would anyone be interested in trying to get a Minis tournament in here next year?

http://www.lionheartgamesmn.com/lioncon.html
Lafcadio
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 5:58:49 AM

I'd DEFINITELY be interested! Woot
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 6:01:32 AM

Oh man! I am totally going to this if we get a spot. A tournament in Minnesota! You mean I don't have to drive 7 hours to get to the nearest regional? Sign me up!!!!!!!! ThumpUp ThumbsUp

Also if we do get this going, i know at least a few others that would join in. 2 guys are in my play group and there is 2 more that probably would play in it also that I get Vsets for.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 10:46:56 AM

Timing is unfortunately the weekend after GenCon.

GenCon wins hands down.

If it were any other month I'd consider the trip.

That aside - why don't you MN guys hold a regional?
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 11:40:26 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Timing is unfortunately the weekend after GenCon.

GenCon wins hands down.

If it were any other month I'd consider the trip.

I had heard there used to be a regional a while back but there wasn't enough players to keep it going. I had met Boba52 (his swmgamers name, Chris irl) and another guy from his local playgroup and gotten the first V-set from him as he was the pointman when I first moved here. They have left the game unfortunately (boba52 is the nicest guy I'd ever met in gaming! he was a really great player also!) but they told me that the regionals were no longer around for Minnesota. I've since met a few other players that haven't played competitively before for star wars minis but love playing it. I've been getting them the V-sets for many years now, so maybe getting a regional again would be worth looking at? It would have to be somewhere near Minneapolis to have it cause my little town is rather out of the way, although our local game store is awesome and we do tournaments there all the time for all sorts of competitive games. I'd probably get 4 people on my end to participate in one. Need probably 8 or more to get a legit regional. If we could do both a regular tourney and a regional, that'd be great! I'd like to meet other star wars mini's players around here and get something started up again.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 11:56:54 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Well, I for one have never actually been to a real event, so I don't have a solid idea of what I need to provide. I don't have the space for a tournament at my house, and the best I could do for overnight accommodations is to point you towards the nearest Holiday Inn.

But there are some gaming shops in town with rent-able spaces, and plenty of restaurants just about everywhere.

I'd be down for a Minneapolis regional, but that's a little far away for me to coordinate. However, assuming scheduling works out, there'd be at least 2 from central MN, maybe as many as 4.
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 12:24:45 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Well, I for one have never actually been to a real event, so I don't have a solid idea of what I need to provide. I don't have the space for a tournament at my house, and the best I could do for overnight accommodations is to point you towards the nearest Holiday Inn.

But there are some gaming shops in town with rent-able spaces, and plenty of restaurants just about everywhere.

I'd be down for a Minneapolis regional, but that's a little far away for me to coordinate. However, assuming scheduling works out, there'd be at least 2 from central MN, maybe as many as 4.

so what city do you live by since your in Central MN if you don't mind me asking? we could do it at my store (located in Morris, MN) if that would be closest to everyone cause I know for sure my store owner would let us play for free there and I can provide prize support. As far as being a judge, I can do that to, although I'd probably need to consult with better more experienced players on the more technical rulings since guys like FlyingArrow and swinefeld know muuuuuch more than I do and i'm not sure if they'd be available instantly to answer questions as we play.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 12:29:35 PM

Greater St. Cloud area, I guess? Most of my group lives out of town, but Saint Cloud is the nearest "big city."
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 1:09:31 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Greater St. Cloud area, I guess? Most of my group lives out of town, but Saint Cloud is the nearest "big city."

Cool! yeah, St.Cloud is 1-1/2 hour away from where I live. I head to St.cloud to hang out with my friends all the time, so the distance is perfect for me and shouldn't be an issue with my playgroup if we get a regional set up there. Are there any players in Minneapolis that you know of? I could probably talk my brother into coming, who lives there. If we find some more around Minneapolis it'd be best to use St.Cloud as a good central location to play at. there are some excellent places to eat also there. My favorite is Ciattis Ristorante. Great food!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:50:48 PM

So do it! You have all the resources you need from all of us here on Bloomilk!

It's a realistic possibility that you might even get a crew from Illinios, Indiana, Michigan and or Wisconsin coming out.

It's really not that hard to do. Once you have a space and a date, the rest is easy.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:01:39 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
So do it! You have all the resources you need from all of us here on Bloomilk!

It's a realistic possibility that you might even get a crew from Illinios, Indiana, Michigan and or Wisconsin coming out.

It's really not that hard to do. Once you have a space and a date, the rest is easy.

I'll look into it. Would be cool to see how many players we can get to come and maybe even expand the player base a bit! ThumpUp
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:03:06 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

That is unless you have a spot, it backs out on you, so you get another place that closes early, and then you play your last round out in the blazing sun. Other than that, it's simple LOL
MinnesotaMiller
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:23:55 PM

Any Minnesota player still want to meet up?? Myself and 2 of my friends here in MN still play. Doesn't have to be a tournament by any means, we're just looking for some other people to play with. We reside in the Mankato area so close enough to everything but the way north.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:41:41 AM

MinnesotaMiller wrote:
Any Minnesota player still want to meet up?? Myself and 2 of my friends here in MN still play. Doesn't have to be a tournament by any means, we're just looking for some other people to play with. We reside in the Mankato area so close enough to everything but the way north.

Good to see some more players from MN here! I'm going to try and get a regional going this next year, so I'll keep you appraised of that via bloomail when the times comes for it. I've been thinking of setting it up in a store in St.Cloud since it seems to be a central enough location that its not to far for people to drive.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 8:57:07 AM

Been really busy with real life lately (going to be getting married soon) and I'm going to be moving this coming summer while also selling my house and getting some projects done to help it sell. So i probably will have no time to plan for a regional in MN this year. Hopefully someone else in MN can step up and get this going.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:40:15 AM

Mando wrote:
Been really busy with real life lately (going to be getting married soon) and I'm going to be moving this coming summer while also selling my house and getting some projects done to help it sell. So i probably will have no time to plan for a regional in MN this year. Hopefully someone else in MN can step up and get this going.

Congrats on the marriage! I can empathize on it being a bit consuming, I just got married last year.

Hope someone else steps up to put it together!