RegisterDonateLogin

Will never be rendered obsolete by power creep.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

War in the North (Alberta/Canada Regional) 2017 Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:39:51 AM
Groups: Member

Alberta/Canada Regional

It's happening again!

WAR IN THE NORTH!

Sunday, March 12th, 1800 hours

Address:
314-248A Grosbeak Way
Fort McMurray, Alberta

Tournament Start: 1900

200 points
SWMGPA floor rules
Restricted Map lists A, B, C

Swiss hour long rounds, followed by playoffs for top 4 positions, players not in playoffs can join in on an Epic multiplayer game or transfer to Tile Wars game.

Head Judge: General_Grievous

Like last year, more of a friendly tournament as far as no prizes go as our location means none of us can make it to Gencon but expecting a good turn out with 6 players already signed up and more maybes, should be epic fun.

Contact me via bloomail on here if you have any questions.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 6:06:58 PM

Play Report!

We had a few last minute that couldn't make it out but still ended up with 7 players and a wide variety of new and old were represented. Players and their squads:

Amanda (2, 0)
Bastilla, Atris, Echani's

Obi_Dan_Kenobi (1, 0)
Obikin, Macewalker, Master Yoda, R2, Rodian Trader

NikGillies (1, 2)
"Chazrach, Meshach and Abednego" (Chazrachs, Celeste, Quorreal, Nei Rin, Malakili, Rancor Keeper, Yammosk)

Nathan (1, 2)
"Ghost Recon" Kanan Jarrus, Ahsoka Tano, Champion of the Rebellion, Hera Syndulla, Ezra Bridger, Padawan, Sabine Wren, Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2), See-Threepio (C-3PO)

Joshua (2, 2, 0)
"Sketchy Attack" Darth Plagueis, The Wise, Darth Zannah, Lord Scourge, Darth Bandon, Darth Wyyrlok III

Luke (1, 1)
"The True Mandalorians" Mandalore the Vindicated, Jango Fett, Mandalore, Boba Fett, Assassin for Hire, Mirta Gev, R7 Astromech Droid

General_Grievous (me!)
"Three" The Father, Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster, General Grievous, Hero of Hypori

Rundown of the finals with seven players was:

Obi_Dan versus Joshua (Sith Win)
Poor Obikin was wiped out in one turn by Scourge's 200 damage attack. The rest was corrupting of Mace and overwhelming the fleeing Yoda.

Amanda versus Nik (OR win)
Echani's bottle-necked the Chazrach's in a hallway, shut down their CEs and tore them to shreds. I wanted to fight neither of these teams with my three activation thematic team.

Nathan versus Me
He won map choice and chose Cantina. I had no idea how my squad was going to perform because it was a last minute decision of madness to bring it, and even more so Kyle. While I really wanted to bring Grievous (if you wonder why then look at my username hahaha) and the Father I wasn't sure who to fill the last spot with and it came down to force-power dependent Caedus, Cin to boost up Grievous, or Kyle. I'm a huge dark forces fan and Kyle still stole the death star plans in my book. Also in the end I figured that his versatility with grenades 40, powers, solid melee beat and sweet sweet disruptive was what my team lacked. Seeing the half shooting and half ignoring my defensive abilities facing me made me think my mad idea would fail me.

I chose the safer covered gambit side to hide my three man war party in and hopefully draw his pieces into a cluster as they approached. He didn't dissapoint. My first round levitating gambit grab caused my opponent to push up with his entire squad, I hung back for the second round out of sight and let him draw closer as the Father charged his batteries. I won the third round initiative and gave it to him, then proceeded to activate the Father, move, destroy the door separating our squads and then levitating Grievous directly into the small room adjacent to Kanan. Grievous proceeded to spinning blade attack/wall climber Kanan, Ezra, Ahsoka, 3PO, and Hera. The father cancelled Kanan's counter push and Grievous's only unlanded hit was on Hera. 230 damage to his team later and three crippled Jedi, a dead C3P0 and only Sabine and R2 had escaped taking damage.

I expected Grievous to be killed but instead the force was with me and I was one with the force. ALL of his characters converged on Grievous, I think he only rolled four dice that were over 5, two of which I used parry to avoid. Kyle's disruptive also was key.

Grievous survived the round and the next round as well from Ahsoka failing to connect with more than one hit. Crippled but still alive, Grievous held fast and finished off Ahsoka after Kyle chucked a grenade that connected with all of his characters. Grievous fell but the crippled Kanan and Sabine were no match for full health Kyle.

Semi finals were Josh against Luke who had the first round bye and me against the Echani's.

I chose Rhen Var and faked for gambit as Amanda sent the Echani's in. Then, not wanting to face the insane amount of ranged fire power, I moved the Father in as far as he could, and then levitated Grievous 12 squares closer. With a force point for movement the General strafed Atris and Bastilla. Both critically wounded and unable to run away all they could do was try to land hits on Grievous's parry with rerolls. Next round Grievous finished Bastilla off and Kyle was moved into place to kill Atris. The now much weaker echani's just couldn't connect with the Father's 28 defense who was obstructing their shots. Grievous got lifted into place to take out two echani's each round and even though Kyle was wounded by three 20s in a row to 10 health, I still pulled off a 3 point win.

In the other game Sith managed to scrape out a win over the powerful Mandalorian team and went on to face me in the finals. Unfortunately Amanda was unable to play the "bronze medal" third place game so Nik took on Luke for that one. Vong against Mandalorians in that battle.

I had seen how much damage Scourge could deal when he destroyed Obikin in one attack and knew he was my primary target. With only two attackers I couldn't lose one of them. I won map roll and chose Rhen Var again, moving into Gambit to draw the sith in. My opponent Josh has been playing the game for 10 years and like me is pretty skilled at it. He was much more cautious and spread out his approach. But even he underestimated my main party trick that had won me the games thus far. I won the next initiative and let him go first, only to then move the father forward, blow the central door, and levitate Grievous next to Scourge. I had to make all four attacks to kill him missing even one would mean I would lose Grievous. But it was an easy roll and I made them all. With scourge down, The father cancelling most of the corruptions (too late for wounded Kyle) I managed to overwhelm first plageuis and then spinning blade attack to death his support characters. This left only Zannah who just couldn't connect with Grievous while the general unleashed round after round of quad strikes on her. A final and fitting three point win for my odd Father team.

Oh and third place went to the Vong

In summary:
-Our meta was heavy melee and it helped that that is Grievous's jam.
-Spinning blade attack is amazing.
-Flying Grievous is amazing
-There is nothing cooler than blowing open a door with the force, stepping through that door, and then hurling a four-armed lightsaber slashing character at your unsuspecting enemy.

Great job designers on the Father
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:52:19 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
I expected Grievous to be killed but instead the force was with me and I was one with the force. ALL of his characters converged on Grievous, I think he only rolled four dice that were over 5, two of which I used parry to avoid. Kyle's disruptive also was key.
I know THOSE dice.Cursing

General_Grievous wrote:
-There is nothing cooler than blowing open a door with the force, stepping through that door, and then hurling a four-armed lightsaber slashing character at your unsuspecting enemy.
Nice imagery.Laugh
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:41:02 AM

Quote:
odd father team

That should have been the name of the squad! "The Oddfather."
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:21:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Congrats on the win. Still surprised how well it did. I might have to try that squad myself.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:59:30 AM

Thanks! And I definitely did not expect it to do as well as it did at all. But a fun challenge