RegisterDonateLogin

It was meant to help you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Light Side vs. Dark Side Matches Options
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 7:43:59 AM
Groups: Member

Have a couple questions about this style of playing and not quite sure if I'm gonna be asking the right way. When I first played this way, we did so by opening up brand new booster packs, and the way I was taught was that once you pick a character for your squad, the rest of the characters you choose must be of the same side. Like if we pick Vader, then the rest of our squads must contain characters from Dark Side factions or if we choose Luke, then the rest of our squad must contain characters from Light Side factions. And of course characters from neutral factions can also be chosen.

So now begins the questions I have concerning this style of playing. #1 what are the Mandalorians considered to be? I've heard mixed opinions on this. I do remember reading in one of the instruction manuals that they were considered to be a Dark Side faction. Yet a few other people tell me that later on down the road, WOTC changed it to where the Mandalorians were considered a neutral faction like the Fringe. Somehow I kinda remember reading this too but for the life of me, I can't remember where I saw this change. I don't believe it was in a newer instruction booklet but I could be mistaken.

Question #2....let's say I'm using a squad that has Dark Side factions. If a Commander Effect says "Sith Followers" or "Yuuzhan Vong Allies", can every piece in your squad benefit from the CE? Or is it only pieces of that specific faction that are allowed to benefit from the given CE? I understand some CEs say "Allies" or "Characters" without a specific faction name attached to it and therefore, the whole squad can benefit from the CE. So there's no confusion there. I'm more asking about the CEs that specify factions attached to whatever increased powers they're granting.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
nickm1290
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 10:26:02 AM

bump. for my 2 cents, I vote dark.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:41:24 PM

Well in looking around, the only WOTC Official thing I can find as far as actual rules is this which refers to drafting from the old DCI floor rules referring to SWM.

In Draft tournaments, a player's squad must be a Light or Dark squad using the following
faction rules:

A Light side squad
may contain Old Republic, Republic, Rebel Alliance and New
Republic miniatures.

A Dark side squad
may contain Sith, Separatists and Empire miniatures.

Fringe, Mandalorian and Yuuzhan Vong miniatures can be used in either Light or Dark side squads.

When we used to run light side/dark side games, we always played

Dark Side: Imperial, Sith, Seps, Vong
Light Side: OR, Republic, Rebels, NR

Either side: Mandos, Fringe

So I suppose at the end of the day, it would be up to the TO to determine what set of rules they wanted to use. I like the 4 light/4 dark with 2 that are neutral myself as it feels balanced rather than 5/4 (if mandos are dark) or 4/3/3 (if Vong are considered neutral).

urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:43:45 PM

In a mixed faction squad, if a CE refers to a particular faction, it is for only characters of that faction, not everyone on your squad.

A perfect example of this is WOTC Jacen Solo (from COTF) can bring any Leia to your squad. If you choose to bring Princess Leia, her CE doesn't change. It still says Rebel Followers, so it would be very difficult for her to have a Rebel Follower in the squad to give the free attack to.

Hope that helps.
nickm1290
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:15:51 PM

anyone else?