RegisterDonateLogin

Caution: May bring balance to the Force.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Which pieces are now obsolete? Options
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 7:59:21 AM
Groups: Member

I think every time I go on to Bloomilk, the majority of my time is spent browsing characters and reading players' thoughts and opinions on certain pieces. I like reading suggestions like "this piece would go well with that piece" or "this piece is useless now" and so on. Gives me ideas on how to make certain pieces more useful.

One of the biggest things I try to catch is seeing what pieces are obsolete now because of something newer that was released later by WOTC. One example of what I mean is how the Old Republic Recruit is now completely obsolete because of the Old Republic Guard having the exact same cost, same abilities but now has a +1 higher Defense. Another example I read was how Kol Skywlaker now makes Wolf Sazen obsolete. These aren't my opinions. This is stuff I read posted from other BM members.

So my question is this. Can anyone give me other examples of how one piece now makes another useless? Please don't include Vsets in this. I'm asking about WOTC pieces only. I wanna try and cut down my collection a bit and get rid of stuff that would now be useless because of updated pieces..."trim the fat" in my collection so to speak. Come on Cassus.......you're usually pretty good at responding to this kind of stuff lol! What do you think?

I appreciate any answers to this. Thanks!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:06:10 AM

We may need more information, do you have every piece in the game? Are you looking at obsolete meaning for competitive play?
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:15:37 AM

Competitive, casual or whatever. Take the example I gave using the OR Recruit and the OR Guard. Both have 10 HPs, +5 Attack and do 10 Damage. But the Guard has a 14 Defense while the Recruit has only a 13. So why would anyone even wanna use the Recruit in any style of a match, whether it's competitive or casual play when they both cost 5 points? Thus the Guard makes the Recruit useless and obsolete. Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

And no, I don't have every piece in the game because I already started cutting my collection down a bit but wanna continue to do so depending on what kind of feedback I receive here.
Echo24
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:31:15 AM

Very few characters complete obsolete another one. Like Kol Skywalker doesn't actually obsolete Wolf Sazen, because there are some things Wolf does better (most notably has higher max damage output with Opportunst), but Kol is just generally considered a better piece. If you go by that logic, you'll be trimming a LOT from your collection.

I can't think of any other directly obsoleted characters like the OR Guard/Recuit off the top of my head, but I think there are one or two more. Hopefully somebody else can dig them up for you.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:43:44 AM

The first one to do it that I remember was Ewok vs Geonosian Drone. No reason ever to not run an Ewok (in the WotC era - since the there are CEs that give boosts to the Geonosian Drones that Ewok don't get)
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:47:11 AM

Maul-Ordo wrote:
I think every time I go on to Bloomilk, the majority of my time is spent browsing characters and reading players' thoughts and opinions on certain pieces. I like reading suggestions like "this piece would go well with that piece" or "this piece is useless now" and so on. Gives me ideas on how to make certain pieces more useful.

One of the biggest things I try to catch is seeing what pieces are obsolete now because of something newer that was released later by WOTC. One example of what I mean is how the Old Republic Recruit is now completely obsolete because of the Old Republic Guard having the exact same cost, same abilities but now has a +1 higher Defense. Another example I read was how Kol Skywlaker now makes Wolf Sazen obsolete. These aren't my opinions. This is stuff I read posted from other BM members.

So my question is this. Can anyone give me other examples of how one piece now makes another useless? Please don't include Vsets in this. I'm asking about WOTC pieces only. I wanna try and cut down my collection a bit and get rid of stuff that would now be useless because of updated pieces..."trim the fat" in my collection so to speak. Come on Cassus.......you're usually pretty good at responding to this kind of stuff lol! What do you think?

I appreciate any answers to this. Thanks!

Well I must say im flattered to be asked for by name, i have thoughts oh yes. This is a topic i take great pleasure in examining.

The example that springs to mind first would be that 3 versions of Vader (5 if you count both versions of ROTS Vader, but ill get to them in a second), were made pointless by Vader Jedi Hunter. So Vader Dark Jedi and Vader Sith Lord and Vader Champion of the Force (which came out AFTER Jedi Hunter) were rendered obsolete by him. The reason i dont count the ROTS versions are because they are good budget pieces, both are under 50 points, both have some nifty tricks and both have access to, two different Palpatine's for a force battery. However this is somewhat subjective so ill move on to more objective ones.

I think that Raxus Prime troopers replace normal stormtroopers pretty handily. For the same cost (5 points), you lose 1 defense, gain 1 attack and wallclimber. Id call that a good deal, plus they're open to most imperial commander effects so why get normal stormies.

There is no WOTC General Grievous that is worth using over GG Droid Army Commander. I'm sorry but there just isnt. He is too good, too cheap and bring too much to the table. You'd be a fool not to use him always (with droids that is). The only wiggle room here would be taking Scourge of the Jedi in a Rock type squad with maybe a Dooku and Asajj or Dooku and Maul etc... But in the WOTC era living seps were trash.

There is the classic example of Boba Bounty Hunter being the only Boba you should use. However i disagree heavily on this point, and since you didnt ask for a 3 page discourse on why there are better Boba's ill stay on topic. (Get whatever Boba you want they're legit all good, except maybe kid Boba and now with v-sets even that's debatable)

On the topic of C.I.S. both of the newer Asajj's from WOTC invalidated the original one, unless you're in a budget situation. In fact Strike Leader could be seen as a whole modernized remake of the original, even having the same CE only better.

In a striking exception, i feel i have to note that personally, i feel that no variation of Clone Troopers are better than the Base clone trooper. I can see arguments being made for the 501st Legion Clone Troopers, and the Clone Trooper Pilots but I dont know.

Thats what ive got for the moment, but ill be back after doing some digging.
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 8:58:08 AM

Yes! Thanks Tim. So you get where I'm going with this. And yes, trying to trim A LOT is exactly my goal. Just wanna make things easier on myself when carrying all my stuff with me whenever I travel to someone else's place for some gaming. Haven't counted my pieces in a while but I think I may have somewhere between 1000-1100 and I bet there are about 500 or so that I've never used or probably never will.

A couple more examples that were given to me were A&E Lando outdoing Universe Dash. The ONLY thing Dash had on Lando was 10 more HPs. But for costing 3 less, it's worth sacrificing them 10 extra HPs because of the other things Lando has that Dash doesn't, like Evade and Mobile Attack. Or that the R7 now makes R2 from Rebel Storm kinda useless. Again, these are not my opinions. This was info passed on to me from other players. So I'm not real sure how accurate this info is.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 9:00:21 AM

Maul-Ordo wrote:
Yes! Thanks Tim. So you get where I'm going with this. And yes, trying to trim A LOT is exactly my goal. Just wanna make things easier on myself when carrying all my stuff with me whenever I travel to someone else's place for some gaming. Haven't counted my pieces in a while but I think I may have somewhere between 1000-1100 and I bet there are about 500 or so that I've never used or probably never will.

A couple more examples that were given to me were A&E Lando outdoing Universe Dash. The ONLY thing Dash had on Lando was 10 more HPs. But for costing 3 less, it's worth sacrificing them 10 extra HPs because of the other things Lando has that Dash doesn't, like Evade and Mobile Attack. Or that the R7 now makes R2 from Rebel Storm kinda useless. Again, these are not my opinions. This was info passed on to me from other players. So I'm not real sure how accurate this info is.

Not necessarily, technically yes, but the R7 really just means that Rebel, Republic and New Republic arent the only factions with door control.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 9:09:23 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
The first one to do it that I remember was Ewok vs Geonosian Drone. No reason ever to not run an Ewok (in the WotC era - since the there are CEs that give boosts to the Geonosian Drones that Ewok don't get)

And there is still no good boost for the drones with Poggle nerfed.

Also it depends on if you are just talking WOTC or with the Vsets. One of he fantastic things about the Vsets is how they come out with boosts for for many obsolete pieces like Yaddle making the entire republic Clone Wars set good. But off the top of my head here are a few for the separatists and Vong my favorite factions:

All Grievous's except for Droid Army Commander and possibly Supreme Commander (of you include Vsets then hang onto the wheelbike and Jedi Hunter)
All Dookus except for Sereno and Darth Tyranus with lighting 4
All Asajj's except for Separatist Assassin (or nightsister with Vsets)
The old Durge
And unless you are playing with the Vsets you can basically not bother with the entire separatist faction's non-uniques with the exception of the basic battle Droid (was still good in the pre-Bastilla days of evil as a basic swarm unit), the Lancer (if you can bring yourself to play it) and the fringe IG-86s ( Every other separatist unit fails in comparison to the raw stats and cost efficiency of the IG-86). If you include Vsets you can keep the commando droids, dwarf spider droids, and commando droids and MAYBE the Hailfire droids as they are the only things remotely competitive.

For the Vong:

The only pieces worth anything are the Ossus guardians, Jedi Hunter's, Shaper, Priest Lah and Nom and really just Nom and fringe bombs (pieces with stealth) if you include the Vsets then keep them all because you will want some variety to act out the cool amounts of different Vong
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 9:11:59 AM

An Interesting predicament i just found in Sith. It can be argued that the Sith guard is better than the Sith Troopers, they're stats and base damage are weaker, but at 3 points cheaper (5 vs 8) you could squeeze a few more in. In the opposite direction for 2 points more (10 vs 8) you get the Sith Operative you lose, 1 attack and 10 damage but gain cunning attack 20 and they're still open to any Trooper commander effects. This isnt an absolute, but its an interesting situation.

Its hard to argue for picking original Shaak Ti over Jedi Master Shaak Ti
Same with Quinlan Vos Infiltrator > O.G. Quinlan.

Also i must correct myself. Arf Troopers are superior to clone troopers. 2 extra points for +2 to attack abd defence, stealth and Recon? Yes please

In response to General Grievous above me (btw, sorry that most of you are garbage Flapper Flapper Flapper )
I would argue to get at least one of each Vong piece just to have them since they're quite cool (in my opinion!) But he is correct that in the WOTC era the only viable strategy was Nom Bombs with stealth fringe (Kel Dor bounty hunters or black sun guys if im not mistaken)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 9:50:38 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

For scenarios nothing is obsolete.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 6:51:36 PM

You could very easily argue that MAster Windu from MOTF obsoletes Mace Jedi Master from ROTS, however neither are actually all that good or competitive.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:42:06 AM

Imma bump this thread cause I love it.

I noticed the Tantive IV trooper replaces the Rebel Trooper.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 6:48:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

There are lots of pieces that are obsolete, but it's relatively rare that a piece is completely 100% replaced because another piece is better in every situation. Tantive IV eclipses Rebel Trooper's stats and adds and SA for the same price, but Rebel Trooper is currently the cheapest filler available in a New Republic Resistance squad.

Dark Side Enforcer is eclipsed by both Sith Lord and Sith Apprentice. Better stats, cheaper cost, and they both have all of Dark Side Enforcer's abilities plus some extras.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 11:59:02 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
You could very easily argue that MAster Windu from MOTF obsoletes Mace Jedi Master from ROTS, however neither are actually all that good or competitive.

Windu LotLS replaces master Windu straight up.