RegisterDonateLogin

Living proof that the Force has a sense of humor!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Interest in VA event? Options
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:16:42 PM
Groups: Member

So I live in Wisconsin, but I go to school in Lynchburg, Virginia. I am thinking about possibly hosting a regional while I am there. There is a venue that I could use, and I have some friends who I think might be interested. Are there any other players who are close enough and might be interested? Not sure how far away from the Tennessee or Pennsylvania groups I am. I have no timing for it at this point. Since I am running a Vassal event this fall and would still have to teach my friends how to play, I was thinking maybe a spring event. Are events during the school year possible for people given enough advance time? Just kinda throwing an idea out there.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:27:53 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm in PA. Lynchburg is too far for me to make it. If it were northern VA near DC I probably still wouldn't make it, but I'd at least be a maybe in that case.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:37:07 PM

Do you go to Liberty? My son goes there and he plays.
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:40:10 PM

Yes, I do.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 6:47:14 PM

I would be interested if we were able to turn the weekend into a trip to see our new grandbaby. I know Kris would play as well. Matt Spry would be a possibility geographically, but I'm not sure who else is close. The Atlanta guys don't play anymore, and the old Virginia gang are all X Wing players now. I'm not sure who else is close.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 7:38:59 PM

I'd definitely go to this. I think Liberty is about 3hrs from here and we could all crash with Kris and play with the baby lmbo.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2017 11:57:39 PM

Naarkon wrote:
So I live in Wisconsin, but I go to school in Lynchburg, Virginia. I am thinking about possibly hosting a regional while I am there. There is a venue that I could use, and I have some friends who I think might be interested. Are there any other players who are close enough and might be interested? Not sure how far away from the Tennessee or Pennsylvania groups I am. I have no timing for it at this point. Since I am running a Vassal event this fall and would still have to teach my friends how to play, I was thinking maybe a spring event. Are events during the school year possible for people given enough advance time? Just kinda throwing an idea out there.

Yes, you can do an event pretty much anytime you want.

The last couple years, Frosty has kicked off the regional season in Feb, and before that it was usually MI in late march or early april, so anytime would qualify.

As far as interest, I'd have to check the distance, but I travel well.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:14:09 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Naarkon wrote:

Yes, you can do an event pretty much anytime you want.

The last couple years, Frosty has kicked off the regional season in Feb, and before that it was usually MI in late march or early april, so anytime would qualify.

As far as interest, I'd have to check the distance, but I travel well.

I'd guess that you would be between 10-12 hours Jason. I know it would take me right at 12hrs to get to Chicago and you'd end up with about the same route time.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:24:09 AM

Always love more events. No guarantees with that distance.

Advice - turn it into a weekend of events, and people will travel further for it.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:11:11 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Always love more events. No guarantees with that distance.

Advice - turn it into a weekend of events, and people will travel further for it.

What do you suggest? Other formats? Other non-minis Star Wars games? Other games entirely? I couldn't do too much other than other minis formats, since I can't transport that much stuff with me.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:28:17 PM

EPICS!!!!!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 2:52:11 PM

Tile wars, royal rumble, fantastic 4, casual format, etc.

The other thing that always increases attendance is providing a place to crash. Even if it's just floor space for sleeping bags.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:05:14 PM

That and Tim not bringing a high activation tempo controlled squad 😂
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:44:18 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

That I can handle. I've never really played those but I have the stuff for it and have always wanted to play some of the other formats.

TimmerB123 wrote:
The other thing that always increases attendance is providing a place to crash. Even if it's just floor space for sleeping bags.

While I would be willing to do that, my dorm room doesn't offer a lot of space for sleeping bags. LOL

Edit: just to be clear, you can't stay overnight on my dorm room floor.
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:46:32 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
EPICS!!!!!

That and royal rumble would most likely be my first choices. Maybe a short campaign-type thing? I wouldn't know how to put that together but it could be interesting.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:01:43 PM

TN guys are 6.5 hours away. I know some of them are trying to travel to the Indiana or PA regional, I forget which
I, myself, am 4.5 goes away and would look into going if the timing was right, is there an idea of when you might want to do it
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:34:08 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Thanks guys are 6.5 how's away. I know some of them are trying to travel to the Indiana or PA regional, I forget which
I, myself, am 4.5 goes away and would look into going if the timing was right, is there an idea of when you might want to do it

At this point I'm thinking sometime in spring. I can't be any more specific right now since I'd have to check when the venue is available (I'm at home in Wisconsin right now).
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:22:47 AM

Naarkon wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

That I can handle. I've never really played those but I have the stuff for it and have always wanted to play some of the other formats.

TimmerB123 wrote:

While I would be willing to do that, my dorm room doesn't offer a lot of space for sleeping bags. LOL

Edit: just to be clear, you can't stay overnight on my dorm room floor.

Lol - I didn't suspect you were in a position to do so being at school and all. Just passing along my observations on what makes for a successful event.

My general equation is that gaming time must be greater than travel time one way (at the very least). More games = more appeal.

The flip of that though is that more gaming time = more days. That makes cost skyrocket with accommodations.

It's a catch 22 that has a pretty sweet solution for those in the position to put people up.

If not - you have to decide the balance to get the most people there
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:06:12 AM

I'm up for it, let's do this thing...