RegisterDonateLogin

We're gonna have company!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Self-Made Custom LAAT Gunship Stat Card Options
BZNintendo
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:35:09 AM
Groups: Member

Made a custom LAAT stat card for my battle of geonosis recreation and would like some feedback on if it is balanced and fair? Like if the point cost of 100 is a fair price to pay for what it can do?

Here is the link to the image: http://imgur.com/a/Ah5IV
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:26:13 PM

Welcome to Customs and to Card Making!

Nicely done card!

Some thought for your consideration.

Lets start with the abilities.

Levitation - I Understand the idea (You might want to insert something about lightsabers ignore this since you can throw them.) The word Levitation is awkward and slightly misleading, something about it being In Flight instead??

Colossal? Huge maybe. If you've got a model, it'll be apparent and you don't need to name it. Also, if technically "In Flight" characters walking under it shouldn't be bothered by its presence as such.

Blow Away - Interesting idea .... like the idea ... would the be dmaged if they hit an object or wall?

Missles And Turrets - You can attack with each during each turn? Thats a Lot of damage if you want to stick to this format (Staggered Activations.)

The last two look like you just copied them from the AT-AT

Relentless - It hovers and flies! Why can't it turn around?

Rigid? Check

Staggered Activation - Understand the rational as you explain the movement but ... what Mass Driver Cannon? ooops its an AT-TE??

100 is overpriced. I "made" a card 5 years ago for an LAAT and it cost 41. I won't show it here (your thread) but it was

HP 120
Df 16
At 3
Da 20

Order 66
Twin Attack
Flight
Greater Mobile Attack
Missles 20
Speed 10
LAAT (sam as your except I carried 5)

Just some thoughts and Welcome Again BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 2:39:50 PM

you're on a roll BZNintendo! 2 from 2, my only complaint?
when will the fringe and droids get some attention hehe.

it would be nice to see transport X, where X is the stats for an LAAT/i from the "Incredible Cross-Sections" technical schematics.
being able to move ~36 CT's and 4 speeder bikes to a position would be very nice for mass-battles hehe.

I think Relentless is an artifact anyhow -
rather than amend or errata the rulebook, to deal with the irregularity of the base of large or colossal vehicles...
they put relentless to prevent those irregularities. go figure -
they're happy for circles which do not entirely fill a square, but, for the large colossals, they can't handle that it might be partially through multiple squares...

when all they needed was consistency from the aiming LoS rules - granted, SWMinis doesn't discern 'height' very well, it's a 2D flatland really hehe BigGrin it also doesn't model terrain destruction, except for in Tile Wars hehe.

when turning, choose a corner that corresponds to the direction of movement. so you move from that corner.
any square partially encompassed by the turning model counts as it for targeting, cover, etc.
the only time a colossal character gets cover, is when a solid wall line boundary obstructs 3 of the 4 corners used in determining LoS to target.
job done, this works quite well for vehicles and prevents what the?!'s

Staggered Activation allows a points-sink like a high-risk vehicle,
be an activation factor for 'out-activate' strategies. Ion weapons and other attacks can be brutal to vehicles in SWMinis,
so staggered activation offsets that somewhat.
instead of spinning an Uggie or Mousie, you move 2 steps forward and 3 steps back etc... BigGrin
blemelisk
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:37:28 PM

If it isn't colossal then it is at least garg, though with how wide it is as well (wings) i could see it staying colossal. I think it should be able to turn. Id say for simplicity sake, it can turn 90 degrees (so the squares line up base wise to the grid if using said grided maps). Transport should be higher, should in my view be able to carry say 4 large, 1 huge, or maybe up to ....12 medium/small characters.

Lastly missiles confuse me, you are having me roll to hit with them but then my enemy gets to roll out of them with a save 11? Either I roll to hit and they hit, or i dont roll to hit and they roll to dodge out of them. Or is the save 11 for the splash of the missiles only?

Also id say this guy ignores walls when moving as well and id up the speed for the move to 3.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 12:51:38 PM

here's my take on LAARTi

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/4797/laart-i

maybe you'll see some thing you like for yours
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:49:07 PM

Bryan,

The "error" from Photobucket is why Nobody can see Photobucket pics anymore. Google photobucket and you'll see "why."

However since you asked for it, here's that Poggle card. Made it about 5-6 years ago.

BZNintendo
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:47:00 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Welcome to Customs and to Card Making!

Nicely done card!

Some thought for your consideration.

Lets start with the abilities.

Levitation - I Understand the idea (You might want to insert something about lightsabers ignore this since you can throw them.) The word Levitation is awkward and slightly misleading, something about it being In Flight instead??

Colossal? Huge maybe. If you've got a model, it'll be apparent and you don't need to name it. Also, if technically "In Flight" characters walking under it shouldn't be bothered by its presence as such.

Blow Away - Interesting idea .... like the idea ... would the be dmaged if they hit an object or wall?

Missles And Turrets - You can attack with each during each turn? Thats a Lot of damage if you want to stick to this format (Staggered Activations.)

The last two look like you just copied them from the AT-AT

Relentless - It hovers and flies! Why can't it turn around?

Rigid? Check

Staggered Activation - Understand the rational as you explain the movement but ... what Mass Driver Cannon? ooops its an AT-TE??

100 is overpriced. I "made" a card 5 years ago for an LAAT and it cost 41. I won't show it here (your thread) but it was

HP 120
Df 16
At 3
Da 20

Order 66
Twin Attack
Flight
Greater Mobile Attack
Missles 20
Speed 10
LAAT (sam as your except I carried 5)

Just some thoughts and Welcome Again BigGrin

Thanks for the feedback, really helped catch some mistakes I didn't realize.

For levitation I didn't really know what else to call it so I went with that but I like "In Flight" better so I will change it.

I am using a very large piece with a big base so I defiantly had to make it colossal size, Here is a picture of it: http://imgur.com/a/jzSkt (also that is why I made it so it can only transport 4 medium pieces is because that is how many fit in the ship, anymore and it would get too crowded.

The blown away ability was because of the middle pole connecting the ship to the base. Originally I wanted to make it so every time the ship moved, any character on its base or about to enter its base moves backwards from where the ship is moving (making it like the ship is moving over them as they stay in the same spot instead of moving with it unrealistically). But then the problem was that if any chacater was in the middle of the base it couldn't occupy the spaces where the pole is located so I had to scrap that idea and made blown away instead to solve this. As for taking damage from hitting a wall, I did not think of that but just to keep it simple I think I will keep it as is.

Not sure what you mean by being able to use missiles and turrets each turn? With staggered activation the ship will only be able to use each attack once per round so it isn't too overpowered with damage output. That is how I understand staggered activation, if I am mistaken then please let me know as I am still new and may be missing something?

And yes this one, just like my custom AT-TE is mostly basing off the AT-AT as I feel it is still a good base to start on since it is the only other official colossal miniature to take inspiration from.

For relentless I feel this is needed as it would be difficult to turn around a colossal piece like this one, plus in the movies like the Episode II during the Battle of Geonosis the ships moved forward only during the attack and we never see them turn around so I thought it would be simpler to keep it that way.

I completely agree Rigid should not be there, just wasn't giving much attention to that when making this. Taking that out now.

Yeah completely missed that Mass-Driver Cannon wording there as I used my first AT-TE stat card as the base for this one, forgot to edit that but now I did so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the price I think its fair as it is somewhat equally as good as my custom AT-TE (100 Points) which is based off the AT-AT (200 Points) but at half the power so equally the LAAT should be at the same half cost (100 Points). I feel with those crazy good attacks and decent HP and damage reduction, it is worth the 100 Points but then again I am still new and don't understand point costs all too well. If you could go into more detail as to why it is overpriced I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the feedback really helped.
BZNintendo
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 6:55:59 PM

blemelisk wrote:
If it isn't colossal then it is at least garg, though with how wide it is as well (wings) i could see it staying colossal. I think it should be able to turn. Id say for simplicity sake, it can turn 90 degrees (so the squares line up base wise to the grid if using said grided maps). Transport should be higher, should in my view be able to carry say 4 large, 1 huge, or maybe up to ....12 medium/small characters.

Lastly missiles confuse me, you are having me roll to hit with them but then my enemy gets to roll out of them with a save 11? Either I roll to hit and they hit, or i dont roll to hit and they roll to dodge out of them. Or is the save 11 for the splash of the missiles only?

Also id say this guy ignores walls when moving as well and id up the speed for the move to 3.

The custom piece I am using is better than Huge so it has to be colossal. As for being able to turn, I just don't like the idea because it would be really difficult to pull off, plus in the movies we really only see it moving forward so I like staying with that.

I wish I could make transport higher but the custom piece I have can only fit 4 medium/small characters with anymore being added making it too crowed or just not fitting. Here is a picture of it showing this: http://imgur.com/a/jzSkt

With the missiles attack the save 11 is just for splash damage only. How else should I word this so it is not confusing?

And yes I agree it should ignore walls, I have updated the card to make it so it does ignore walls. And the speed I guess should be 3 since it should be way faster than an AT-AT or an AT-TE so thanks for giving that feedback making me realize these changes.

blemelisk
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:05:10 PM

BZNintendo wrote:
blemelisk wrote:

The custom piece I am using is better than Huge so it has to be colossal. As for being able to turn, I just don't like the idea because it would be really difficult to pull off, plus in the movies we really only see it moving forward so I like staying with that.

I wish I could make transport higher but the custom piece I have can only fit 4 medium/small characters with anymore being added making it too crowed or just not fitting. Here is a picture of it showing this: http://imgur.com/a/jzSkt

With the missiles attack the save 11 is just for splash damage only. How else should I word this so it is not confusing?

And yes I agree it should ignore walls, I have updated the card to make it so it does ignore walls. And the speed I guess should be 3 since it should be way faster than an AT-AT or an AT-TE so thanks for giving that feedback making me realize these changes.

so you hit you do 60, i understand now sorry about that! What you could do to represent it carring more than 4 chars is give it reinforcements (requiring order 66)
BZNintendo
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:27:34 PM

blemelisk wrote:
BZNintendo wrote:
blemelisk wrote:

so you hit you do 60, i understand now sorry about that! What you could do to represent it carring more than 4 chars is give it reinforcements (requiring order 66)

I like the idea of reinforcements but I feel like that is too good of an ability to add to it which would make me have to rise the point cost more (which I would rather not do).
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:36:26 PM

[quote=BZNintendo] I am still new and don't understand point costs all too well. If you could go into more detail as to why it is overpriced I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the feedback really helped. [/quote

I should probably start a new thread with this question; How do You figure character costs? .... Actually, I think I will!