Parry + Evade Options
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:29:17 PM
Groups: Member

I definitely forgot ahsoka
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:00:57 PM

I'm not a designer, I'm a player who likes to play shooter squads. When I won GenCon, I wanted to design a piece to make melee playable, because just as I believe the game shouldn't devolve into some dice-rolling rugby-like scrum in the middle of the map, it also shouldn't be a game where greater mobile shooters are popping out from behind a wall then ducking back behind it all game long. In my opinion, we don't need melee pieces that are next to impossible to hit. We need a way to get melee into the fray. If I play someone who just wants to play beefy characters but has no strategy on how to get them to the fight, then they deserve to get shot to pieces plodding their way there. The strategy in this game is getting to the fight.

Transports like I designed aren't the only way. Swap, levitate, charging attacks, master speed, mount and lift are a few ideas. Yeah, I know shooters can use those ideas as well, but I'll put my money on a melee character able to get adjacent and attack any day.

The problem, as I see it, is outactivate/smash. It doesn't matter if the major damage dealer(s) are melee or ranged, if you can't disrupt their end-round strategy, you're dead. Designers have to find a way to give options to disrupt that end-round sequence.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:11:22 PM

Obi-Kin is a bad piece... He costs 85, and is a Large? Can do.... 80? Compare that to Imp Troopers, who cost ...5? 13? and can do 60-80, while having.... 10+ of them? I'll take my chances on Obi-Kin making his SSM saves vs my mass attackers.

And before you start spouting the defense of "Well you have to pay X amount for the CE". I totally understand that. But what person wouldn't spend 80 points on multiple Commanders, to make 5-13 point Gods in a squad if you can run 10+ of them? I blame the person running those squads, because they are a crutch design. Your not a good player because you can run a Daala squad to perfection. It doesn't mean your a bad player, or can't run anything else. To me, it just means you can't be competitive unless you run a crutch design. But, I understand people running them, because its available. I blame the designers MORE, because they have allowed access to these types of squads. To This day I will never understand why anyone ever thought Naboo Troopers should EVER be competitive. I also understand, that this is strictly my PoV. I feel that way about MULTIPLE pieces and squad types.

I see the confusion tho, as you lump all of us together and say you say you want this, you say you want that. But I feel very consistent in my views. If its bad for the game, its bad for the game. Period. Jango, bad for the game, not because I think he is overly powerful, in my experiences against him, he hasn't really impressed me. But that doesn't mean he is good for the game. I could care less about the Qui-Gon, because he cost 56 and can't really do anything.

Mace Windu, LOTS, why is he bad? He encourages you not to attack him with a Melee piece. Why is that? Ask Corran Horn in Gencon, where Mace RIPOSTE him and killed a full HP Corran Horn. That is a bad mechanic. Mace Windu is my FAVORITE character in Star Wars. I stood up and booed when he was killed in Episode 3 in the theater on opening night. ( ASK THEULTRASTAR) That doesn't mean I want a piece of his to be made thats an NPE.

I have NEVER been on board with pieces that punish you for targeting them. Zannah is another one. LCE is a cool idea and all, but why on earth is it there? She can totally change a game... By my enemies attacking her. And I know the argument, well just don't attack her. I'm sorry, I thought this was a skirmish game where attacking and defeating your enemy is the point of it? So why are we creating pieces that don't follow those core rules?

I don't think the Baze Malbus is a great representation, because he is not. I tried to see the good in him (go back and read the posts) but I lost all faith, when the defense of his damage and attack not being high, was that he only attacked troopers, which I actually AGREED with. But then... I find out the Death Troopers would destroy Baze... Because they have 80 HP, and all this other neat stuff going on.

The issue is Melee pieces are not properly designed. Either the designers go out of their way to make an NPE, Mace, Caedus, Malgus, and so on. Or they over cost a good Melee piece, and he is lost in squad building, because small swarms eat them up. Is there an answer? Absolutely. But I don't think any designer is willing to go down that road. Because, for whatever reason, swarms are adored.

And Yes, before anyone gets their feelings hurt, their have been multiple good Melee designs. The Problem is, the bad designs out way the good designs, and prevent the good designs from seeing play. Darth Bane, Sith Ari, such a beast. But what Melee piece can really stand toe to toe with him? You can't knock out his FP. He can drop 100 Unpreventable damage. His attack is sky high. Where is the SKILL in him at all? There is none. He is a drop in. and attack piece. With no consequences. Unless of course, you are playing against a swarm squad, in which case he gets destroyed. So he is either an NPE if your opponent is playing Melee, or he gets destroyed and is worthless against swarms.

For the record, I find unpreventable damage to be just as ignorant as punishing someone for targeting you. It is a crutch design that allows one player to attack with NO consequences. Which is WAY different from attacking someone, and potentially having a GAME ALTERING consequence. And before we get petty, I understand that every roll, and every save COULD be game altering.But some COULDS have more effect than others. Example, I attack Mace Windu, he Ripostes and kills my full hp Jedi vs I attack someone, and they parry the damage. The first one is BAD, the second one is GOOD. I hope we can all agree on that, and see the difference.

My recommendation, be more creative with Melee. Put more time and effort into the idea of making Melee more powerful... Because they are more powerful. A single Jedi can change the tides of an entire war. But in SWM, a swarm of 10 troopers will mow down an entire squad of Force Users.

And before anyone gets their feelings hurt, again, this is only my PoV.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:14:29 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
I'm not a designer, I'm a player who likes to play shooter squads. When I won GenCon, I wanted to design a piece to make melee playable, because just as I believe the game shouldn't devolve into some dice-rolling rugby-like scrum in the middle of the map, it also shouldn't be a game where greater mobile shooters are popping out from behind a wall then ducking back behind it all game long. In my opinion, we don't need melee pieces that are next to impossible to hit. We need a way to get melee into the fray. If I play someone who just wants to play beefy characters but has no strategy on how to get them to the fight, then they deserve to get shot to pieces plodding their way there. The strategy in this game is getting to the fight.

Transports like I designed aren't the only way. Swap, levitate, charging attacks, master speed, mount and lift are a few ideas. Yeah, I know shooters can use those ideas as well, but I'll put my money on a melee character able to get adjacent and attack any day.

The problem, as I see it, is outactivate/smash. It doesn't matter if the major damage dealer(s) are melee or ranged, if you can't disrupt their end-round strategy, you're dead. Designers have to find a way to give options to disrupt that end-round sequence.

Agree with this completely. Except I think out act and smash is more deadly with a shooter, because there is no consequence if you don't go first the next round. Most of the time
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:40:36 PM

So, the most important part of this post: do you know what exactly you would like to see to make melee pieces more playable? It's a tough question, and I'm not expecting that you've got a doctoral dissertation ready to answer it, but in general, what do you think they need? Do we need a few well-placed bans on commanders that put Troopers over the top? Do Jedi need more damage negation? More movement?

I think Jedi are kind of in the same boat as Clone Troopers - Clone Troopers have billions of Commander Effects at their disposal, but are still worthless, because you can't get everything you need without spending most of your squad on support. Jedi can't really get much support by Commander Effect because usually the only people commanding Jedi are other Jedi. It doesn't fix the meta to say, "Here's Obi-Kin for 85 points, now all Jedi get Soresu Style. Problem solved." But if the support comes cheaply, it's either you-get-what-you-pay-for and not worth anything, or it's WAY too good for the cost (i.e. Imperial Knight).

For the record, I played a game the other night, and beat Elite Republic Commandos with a 5-man Imperial Tank squad. I freely admit that I used Vader of Lothal, and that he was important to the match (I also had the Grand Inquisitor, 5th Brother, 7th Sister, and Palps on Throne). However, it wasn't just "Vader of Lothal. I win." There were several moments in that game where, had things gone differently, it could've turned the game in my opponent's favor quite quickly. I (purely by accident) Battle Readied Vader to a position where he could Surprise Move up to Scorch right away. Killing Scorch right away was a major blow, but even with 6 attacks, Vader almost didn't take him down except for a crit. Also, Captain Rex failed a crucial Telekinesis save against the 5th Brother.

Sorry, I'm rambling. The thing I wanted to note is that the 7th Sister took very little damage in that game. She has 0 defensive abilities, except for Agile being able to keep her out of the way. On the other hand, the Inquisitor, JH died (my only casualty), despite having Lightsaber Deflect, 130 HP, DARK ARMOR, and endless FP from Palps. Even with defensive abilities, the Inquisitor got taken down pretty handily (dork couldn't roll an 11 to save his life), but even without defensive abilities, the 7th Sister made it through relatively unscathed. BECAUSE: I played strategically. I moved Vader in first to make sure he was the legal target, and brought her in behind.
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:13:58 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
I (purely by accident) Battle Readied Vader to a position where he could Surprise Move up to Scorch right away. Killing Scorch right away was a major blow, but even with 6 attacks, Vader almost didn't take him down except for a crit. Also, Captain Rex failed a crucial Telekinesis save against the 5th Brother.

Not trying to be that guy... But Battle ready happens after surprise move/attack. Carry on...
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 4:45:33 AM

Yes, their are a few ideas I have to make Melee better. And to note, my main issue is against swarms. Bobba Fett shooting a Jedi I don't have AS MUCH of an issue against. Its a 5-13 point pawn in the war, who all of a sudden can stand toe to toe with GOWK, because Daala is standing in the back. My ideas are as follows.

Ban Booming Voice, and make all CE Range 6.

Limit the number of non uniques per squad, I.E. You may only have 5 (random number) of any non unique in your squad

Set a cap on activations. You can have 30 pieces in your squad, but you can only activate 16 of them (random number)

Give out more Evade (Soresu)/Melee Duelist Combos. Or Cloaked/Melee Duelist

Change Soresu to work against adjacent

Start banning pieces. WOTC banned GOWK, so its not like we wouldn't be doing something they already did. One piece I would ban is the Mouse Droid

Make sure every faction has their own, cheap Door control, and then make Fringe their own official faction, where you can not use them in any other faction.

More HP on Melee pieces

More abilities with bonuses for saves

Penalty for targeting a character farther than X squares. 12 would be the number I would consider. And before people start complaining about how much time it would add to a game to count those squares, play against any Strafe or gallop squad.

* Note, I am not advising doing every bit of this. These a few different routes that could help. Doing them all would absolutely be absurd.

Special Abilities

Hero - Non Unique Enemies do not gain bonuses to their base attack when attacking this character.

Master Lightsaber Reflect - Force 1. When hit by a non melee attack, this character may negate the damage with a save of 11. On a success, he may choose any legal target, including the attacker, and that character takes the damage, save 11. ( wording is shotty, its early)

Lying in wait Replaces Turn. This character may wait to activate till all the enemy pieces are activated. ( Completely stole this from a fake Darth Maul stat block, but its a really neat ability, and I probably butchered the wording)

Gizmotronx
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 6:41:46 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Yes, their are a few ideas I have to make Melee better. And to note, my main issue is against swarms. Bobba Fett shooting a Jedi I don't have AS MUCH of an issue against. Its a 5-13 point pawn in the war, who all of a sudden can stand toe to toe with GOWK, because Daala is standing in the back. My ideas are as follows.

Limit the number of non uniques per squad, I.E. You may only have 5 (random number) of any non unique in your squad

Set a cap on activations. You can have 30 pieces in your squad, but you can only activate 16 of them (random number)
+100
+1
+1
Start banning pieces. WOTC banned GOWK, so its not like we wouldn't be doing something they already did. One piece I would ban is the Mouse Droid
Make sure every faction has their own, cheap Door control, and then make Fringe their own official faction, where you can not use them in any other faction.

More HP on Melee pieces

Penalty for targeting a character farther than X squares. 12 would be the number I would consider. And before people start complaining about how much time it would add to a game to count those squares, play against any Strafe or gallop squad.
+1. I really like this idea, something I've thought about too
* Note, I am not advising doing every bit of this. These a few different routes that could help. Doing them all would absolutely be absurd.

Special Abilities

Hero - Non Unique Enemies do not gain bonuses to their base attack when attacking this character.
Love this for real but it would throw off the balance and just encourage more ability focused swarms

Master Lightsaber Reflect - Force 1. When hit by a non melee attack, this character may negate the damage with a save of 11. On a success, he may choose any legal target, including the attacker, and that character takes the damage, save 11. ( wording is shotty, its early)
Love it

Lying in wait Replaces Turn. This character may wait to activate till all the enemy pieces are activated. ( Completely stole this from a fake Darth Maul stat block, but its a really neat ability, and I probably butchered the wording)
Super love it

urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 10:05:15 AM

shmi15 wrote:

Make sure every faction has their own, cheap Door control

This has been one of my goals since becoming one of the PTers and later a designer for the V-sets. Having each faction have its own form of door control so you don't have to see a bunch of ugos on the board.

And I think we have hit the mark for the most part

Spaarti
Mando Demo
AoL trooper
Bothan Sab
zonomo sekot scout
shamed intendent

plus additional fringe option
killik drone
Klat Black Sun Thug

jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 10:47:49 AM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Out of these the ones that might be competitive right now imo are:

Skyborn Ranger on Uvak
Amanaman
Covenant Defender
Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
Ben Skywalker, Jedi
Kylo Ren
Zayne Carrick, Jedi Loner
Vima Sunrider
Warb Null
Ahsoka Tano, Champion of the Rebellion
Darth Vader of Lothal
Darth Cognus
Darth Plagueis, The Wise
Revan, Returned

This looks like a decent list, but I think we can narrow this down to potential pieces that can compete.

to

Lando
Ben
Kylo
Vima
Ahsoka
Vader of Lothal
Cognus
Plagueis

But than again a lot of those have been played and have not faired so well.
With those, I do not see many that can or will win anything. Lando being a decent bet, he is not even a force user.
Ben Skywalker, I feel, is the most competitive in the bunch.

CorellianComedian wrote:
So, the most important part of this post: do you know what exactly you would like to see to make melee pieces more playable? It's a tough question, and I'm not expecting that you've got a doctoral dissertation ready to answer it, but in general, what do you think they need? Do we need a few well-placed bans on commanders that put Troopers over the top? Do Jedi need more damage negation? More movement?

To make Melee playable they HAVE to have a balance of three things.
Offense, Defense, and offensive Movement.

Bane, Sith'ari is he playable? yes, does he win things? not right now.
why not?
His defense sucks. 20 base sucks. 170 hp is great and djem so is a kind of defense. So he takes tons of damage. Is there ways to boost his defense? illusion from Marka Ragnos (add 17 onto the cost).
His offensive movement is good (Leaping Assault) and he has the ability to Lightning from 12.

Mace Windu is he playable? yes, does he win things, probably can with the right build.
Why is he competitive?
Well he does have reflect and he has riposte and absorb, so his defense is ok-ish. His attack is amazing and his offensive movement with GMA is great. He also has speed in the faction with r2 and board wide swap.

Obi-Kin is he playable? not really, does he win things? no
Why not?
His attack sucks and his size sucks and his cost sucks for limited damage.
His defense is absurdly great.

Mara Jade, Jedi is she playable? haven't seen her in forever
why not? her faction has levitation and evade access, she has stealth and lightsaber block.
is it because for 45 there are better options? not really. assault and twin sound great with lightsaber. she is a 120 drop. but it is required adjacency and before activation. cunning! Cunning is actually the limitation? quite possibly.

All of these people have some sort of weakness to them.

Ven Swallow

Ven Zallow, Jedi Master
Old Republic

HP 130
A 15
D 21
Dam 20

SA

Melee
Double
GMA
Evade
Force Attuned - Once per turn he can use a Force Power that replaces attacks or turn, without it replacing attacks or turn.
Stalwart
Stifling attack - on this characters turn, adjacent enemies can not respond to his attack

Fp 3
Renewal 1
MOTF2
Force Push 2
Lightsaber defense
Recovery 20 - Replaces turn, remove 20 damage

built in evade, built in recovery for more life, built in prevention prevention (stifling attack). Built in Damage reduction, built in offensive movement, 40 damage but it is boostable to 60 with possible push to get 80. So the end of turn push becomes Tech when you add in GMA.

He also has faction based boost of Lightsaber defense in Arca Jeth.

His biggest weakness is damage dealing (40 with possible 60) since his defense and offensive movement is great. but his offense is boostable and his offense "sticks" because of stifling attack.

This is why it is a staple imo.

Corran Horn at 60.
great offense (melee reach 2 so you can get one square away and be adjacent, good defense (force and ranged and if you get adjacent take 30), movement is his weakness, but! knight speed helps for range and attack and you can get adjacent while the opponent is not. so you can attack them and if they want to attack you they have to move to you and take 30 damage. You can also jedi mind trick from 2 squares away after attacking them.

The tech on the piece helps negate its weakness.

We need Melee pieces that have weaknesses, but whose built in tech or faction support help the weakness not be a glaring hole.

Sith'ari needed deflect instead of sweep and it is a highly usable piece.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:13:32 AM

Melee needs speed, speed, and more....speed.

pieces like zam wessel, morrigan korde, watto, etc that can make the ranged damage stick on melee pieces will hold just adding defensive abilities in check for quite awhile. What matters is speed. melee just can't close the gap in enough time for it to matter in the game. yay I made it to you...well here take your 60 damage and then kill me because I have 60 life left. Even evade isn't the answer because its a save not an auto prevent ability, so most of the time by the time they close the gap...they are almost dead anyways.

This is one my of my all time favorite pieces to play:

Jedi Master, Shaak Ti 52

Hit Points:
Defense:
Attack:
Damage:

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Acrobatic (Ignores enemy characters when moving)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, she gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Camaraderie (A character name Maris Brood gains Stealth)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Makashi Style (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. Shii-Cho Style cannot be used against this character.)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Master Speed (Force 1: This character can move 6 extra squares on her turn as part of her move)
Force Alter (Force 1: range 6; any 1 enemy rerolls its last attack)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 1 follower within 6 squares can immediately move 2 squares

She flips the script on shooters, suddenly you can't wall her off and she can do 60 to you before you do 60 to her. now the shooter is in trouble not the other way around. if a shooter gets adjacent well do your thing to her, but this build allows the melee character to have a chance to dictate how the fighting will go down even though the shooter has the advantage of being ranged.

Ven Zallow is awesome because of the build he has access to, body guarding, healing, boardwide disruption of commander effects, etc.

until melee can close the gap on shooters the game will be shooter driven.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:44:17 AM

Okay, if I haven't publicly said it elsewhere, I'm a huge fan of Ven Zallow. I do think he deserves to be head-and-shoulders above most other Jedi, so while he certainly breaks new ground, I don't think he should necessarily become the new standard. (meaning: not everyone should suddenly be as good as Ven Zallow, but I like the style of the piece)

BUT, pieces like Ven help the rest of your melee squad simply by being good pieces. If you have a good damage soak out front, you should be able to get your tanks into play just fine. I used VoL to keep the Commandos off of the 7th Sister until she could line up for a good Assault.

I guess I need to get on Vassal and play you guys some time. Most games I've played I was perfectly fine getting my tanks into the fight if I played smart, and used walls to my advantage. Even when I play ranged pieces, I'm super cautious about how close I get to enemy melee pieces... which results in me playing slowly, because it's hard to stay more than 8-12 squares away from the fight. My opponent rarely goes all-melee, so it's pointless anyways, but I usually am able to find good cover all the way up to gambit.

EDIT: On the topic of speed, maybe a cheap Jedi with Force Bond giving out Knight Speed/Master Speed?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 11:47:46 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Okay, if I haven't publicly said it elsewhere, huge fan of Ven Zallow. I think he deserves to be head-and-shoulders above most other Jedi, so while he certainly breaks new ground, I don't think he should necessarily become the new standard.

BUT, pieces like Ven help the rest of your melee squad simply by being good pieces. If you have a good damage soak out front, you should be able to get your tanks into play just fine. I used VoL to keep the Commandos off of the 7th Sister until she could line up for a good Assault.

I guess I need to get on Vassal and play you guys some time. Most games I've played I was perfectly fine getting my tanks into the fight if I played smart.

the issue is the rise of stuff like boba--- accurate shooters so tanky pieces don't matter as much when they just target your other piece, now satele and him together is awesome because she can bodyguard and spread some damage around while bastilla limits the damage its just a strong squad option, but it meshes perfectly which is what matters.

the other problem is that, like I said if you give out enough evade/soresu etc. there are already shooters in place to handle that change as well. pieces have to be able to close the gap to be very effective.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:27:57 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Okay, if I haven't publicly said it elsewhere, I'm a huge fan of Ven Zallow. I do think he deserves to be head-and-shoulders above most other Jedi, so while he certainly breaks new ground, I don't think he should necessarily become the new standard. (meaning: not everyone should suddenly be as good as Ven Zallow, but I like the style of the piece)

I guess I need to get on Vassal and play you guys some time. Most games I've played I was perfectly fine getting my tanks into the fight if I played smart, and used walls to my advantage. Even when I play ranged pieces, I'm super cautious about how close I get to enemy melee pieces... which results in me playing slowly, because it's hard to stay more than 8-12 squares away from the fight. My opponent rarely goes all-melee, so it's pointless anyways, but I usually am able to find good cover all the way up to gambit.

EDIT: On the topic of speed, maybe a cheap Jedi with Force Bond giving out Knight Speed/Master Speed?

I agree it should not be the standard for everyone would be as powerful. But if you want melee to be playable in the 45-50 point range it will be close to the same power level.

I think pieces need to have strengths and weaknesses but offensive movement had to be available in some form or other.

Legends has a force power called force dash force 3 replaces turn this character can move double speed and make all it's attacks this turn.

Kind of a one time thing just to allow the piece to get where it needs to be and still drop some damage
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:15:58 PM

Charging Assault, sir, Charging Assault.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:20:40 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Charging Assault, sir, Charging Assault.

well it is not Charging Assault. Charging Assault only allows for one attack and no force points.

This costs force points (I think it should be 2 not 3). and allows for ALL attacks. So think like Ambush or Backlash but for 12 squares and no stipulation on activation.

Really powerful stuff b/c it can be used anytime really. If it is in New republic or Rebels you have levitation to get deep strike. If it is in Act Control you can Muun tactics Broker and go first. If it is in Republic you can swap or tow
kezzamachineII
Posted: Friday, August 4, 2017 1:25:32 PM

I'm a designer and I prefer melee!
jak
Posted: Friday, August 4, 2017 2:16:10 PM

shmi15 wrote:

More HP on Melee pieces

Special Abilities

ban the mouse droid!Laugh that ridiculous!
sound like you want to play a different game than SWM
there's always Kickstarter, to get your game going, but what your suggesting isn't SWM