RegisterDonateLogin

Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

At it's core - "What defines a piece in Star Wars miniatures?" Options
Boris
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 3:39:57 AM
Groups: Member

Lord_Ball wrote:
Boris wrote:

Advanced Battle Meditation may seem a little off track for the game, but this really has more to do with a lack of unique flavor in development during the WotC era than anything else. The ability works largely for her as it did in the video game upon which she is based.

Problem is, this isn't a video game, it worked just fine that way in KOTOR because it was merely for story effect and nothing else. In SWM it had/has a much larger (and I will personally add "negative") impact.

All of the characters in this game are designed from their flavor in the story. There are ways to counter it, just as there are with special abilities that do something similar. It's one piece in one faction that was the weakest faction in the game for its entire WotC lifespan.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 4:15:05 AM

Boris wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:
Boris wrote:

Advanced Battle Meditation may seem a little off track for the game, but this really has more to do with a lack of unique flavor in development during the WotC era than anything else. The ability works largely for her as it did in the video game upon which she is based.

Problem is, this isn't a video game, it worked just fine that way in KOTOR because it was merely for story effect and nothing else. In SWM it had/has a much larger (and I will personally add "negative") impact.

All of the characters in this game are designed from their flavor in the story. There are ways to counter it, just as there are with special abilities that do something similar. It's one piece in one faction that was the weakest faction in the game for its entire WotC lifespan.

Story doesn't always translate well to mechanics. As I have mentioned before, there is more than one way to skin a Tauntaun, ABM was designed poorly from a mechanics aspect and has been a crutch for that faction ever since, and it has led to the prevalence of multiple counter abilities (Disciplined leader/Camaraderie).

You said it yourself OR was the weakest faction, so how can 1 character take it from the bottom to competing with the top? Simple answer being, by utilizing an "unfair" advantage. It's a part of the game now and will not change, nor am I asking for it to be changed, I was merely using it as an example of how the V-Sets have infact altered the fundamentals of the game from day one, and only by creating new abilities (Disciplined Leader and Camaraderie) and making them so commonplace are they attempting to restore such a fundamental aspect.
Boris
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 4:27:03 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
Boris wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:
Boris wrote:

Story doesn't always translate well to mechanics. As I have mentioned before, there is more than one way to skin a Tauntaun, ABM was designed poorly from a mechanics aspect and has been a crutch for that faction ever since, and it has led to the prevalence of multiple counter abilities (Disciplined leader/Camaraderie).

You said it yourself OR was the weakest faction, so how can 1 character take it from the bottom to competing with the top? Simple answer being, by utilizing an "unfair" advantage. It's a part of the game now and will not change, nor am I asking for it to be changed, I was merely using it as an example of how the V-Sets have infact altered the fundamentals of the game from day one, and only by creating new abilities (Disciplined Leader and Camaraderie) and making them so commonplace are they attempting to restore such a fundamental aspect.

Actually, Camraderie was my idea. It had nothing to do with ABM. I wanted to create a Rebel Hero synergy of sorts that didn't rely on Rieekan. The other designers on that set were kind enough to indulge me.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tim.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 4:38:06 PM

I still really like ABM, and I think one of the annoying problems with the game is that the factions that can deal with it the best (Imperials with Pellaeon and Ozzel, Vong with Force Immunity) both got given strong swarm options. I liked it when it was a big risk to bring a CE heavy squad.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:28:57 PM

ABM is stupid, always was. Even if it wasn't seen as such at the time.

Did it serve a purpose? sure. but the set had 6 pieces. only 2 of which are any good...

But it also is a reminder to not try to fix things quickly.

I believe that things should be fixed in short steady ways. So if OR is not powerful enough. Maybe a Jedi with twin that can grab extra from Exile maybe a fast moving jedi that has gma, knight speed, and Triple. There were other ways to equal the playing field.

I wish ABM was disruptive and +10 damage. Than it would be great imo!

Than there would be no need for a pendulum swing back this direction.

I hate the Pendulum swinging. Best case scenario is that it swings once and than slowly finds its way back or moves back fast in a way that there is no need for it to continue going.

TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:23:14 PM

My perception from playing is that the game was pretty balanced between Destiny of the Force and v-set 6 - I think it was the pinnacle of the game. Most factions could compete, and I think Bastila keeping commander effects under control was a big part of that.

V-set 6 did too much at once, disrupting the balance of the game by:
i) Introducing powerful new swarms that Bastila didn't help much against - Vong blast bugs and Daala
ii) Making it tough for rock squads and Jedi by introducing Ysalamari to a new faction and more unpreventable damage from Blast Bugs.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:26:24 PM

Boris wrote:

Actually, Camraderie was my idea. It had nothing to do with ABM. I wanted to create a Rebel Hero synergy of sorts that didn't rely on Rieekan. The other designers on that set were kind enough to indulge me.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tim.

I wasn't necessarily referencing the abilities creation, but it's (over)use is likely due to the over abundance of CE cancellation. I may be wrong, but it certainly seems that way.
Boris
Posted: Sunday, August 6, 2017 9:32:07 AM

TheHutts wrote:
My perception from playing is that the game was pretty balanced between Destiny of the Force and v-set 6 - I think it was the pinnacle of the game. Most factions could compete, and I think Bastila keeping commander effects under control was a big part of that.

V-set 6 did too much at once, disrupting the balance of the game by:
i) Introducing powerful new swarms that Bastila didn't help much against - Vong blast bugs and Daala
ii) Making it tough for rock squads and Jedi by introducing Ysalamari to a new faction and more unpreventable damage from Blast Bugs.

Can't speak to that. The last set I worked on was set 5, and not even all the way through. Life happened.