RegisterDonateLogin

Otoh Gunga style

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Veers, Hologram and Gambit Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 6:42:09 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Can General Veers, Hologram collect gambit?
Cassus fett
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 9:19:49 PM
Groups: Member

Eh very sticky yes indeed. Technically living, however not subject to most Effects. Best guess says no however
Vankovich
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:11:56 PM

The hologram has a robotic base and the hologram isn't real so no, it cannot get gambit sadly, same rule applies with the Sid hologram, which ruined me in the last game I played.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 4:57:03 AM

Can't see why he wouldn't. He meets all the requirements for getting Gambit (Costing at least the Gambit value), and unlike Light Spirit, there is nothing in Hologram's definition saying that it cannot score victory points.

Quote:
The hologram has a robotic base and the hologram isn't real so no, it cannot get gambit sadly, same rule applies with the Sid hologram, which ruined me in the last game I played.

A "Robotic base" has no bearing whatsoever on a figure's gambit-getting ability. Holosid can earn gambit like almost any other piece.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 7:58:48 AM

See all the rules seem to imply he could gain gambit. But I feel this is one of those special exceptions. However if holosid can gain gambit then there is precedent for Veers to be able to as well
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:05:44 AM

Cassus fett wrote:
See all the rules seem to imply he could gain gambit. But I feel this is one of those special exceptions. However if holosid can gain gambit then there is precedent for Veers to be able to as well

Not really, actually. HoloSid is not a "hologram." He has HP and Defense and can be attacked and defeated. For all intents and purposes he is a regular character. Veers cannot be attacked, and has no HP; he can only be defeated by defeating all the troopers around him.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 12:31:07 PM

HoloSid can definitely get gambit - he doesn't even have the Hologram SA.

Veers I'm not sure about. In many cases it won't matter because he has to have someone else nearby, who is also likely in gambit. Although if that person nearby is a 5 point trooper they don't qualify to earn gambit points since you have to be cost 10 to earn gambit.

Light Spirits don't get gambit - that's in the FAQ or glossary or somewhere. I didn't find anything about Holograms either way, but a Hologram interacts with terrain pretty much just like a Light Spirit does, which is what made me wonder.
Vankovich
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 2:32:29 PM

Wonderful, I got lied to straight to my face mid game
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 8:21:38 PM

Hmm, I would have said that no, Holoveers cannot score gambit, but after some more research, I cannot seem to find anything that would prevent him from doing so.

Therefore, I believe he actually can score gambit.

gholli69
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 4:36:08 AM

I don't know that I would say you got lied to, that would imply that the person giving you the information was being intentionally deceitful, when it could have just been ignorance. It is a tricky situation and if flying arrow and urban Jedi are unsure then it probably isn't clear to most people and may need to be clarified/ ruled on by the balance committee. I would have assumed that holoveers could collect gambit as he is at least 10 points and has a mechanism so that you can defeat him by killing all his trooper allies. However I can see the argument that he is like a spirit with no def. Or HP being a reasonable train of thought as well.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 11:35:33 AM

Yes. As stated above, he meets the conditions.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:29:02 AM

Wow...

Battle of Hoth rulebook glossary wrote:
Hologram:
This character is an insubstantial projection. It ignores all terrain, but it cannot end its turn in a wall or solid object (a space bordered by magenta lines) or another character. It cannot open doors nor hold them open. It cannot attack or be damaged, and does not count as a legal target. It does not provide cover. This character cannot score victory points for occupying specified areas in scenarios that include such victory conditions. It is defeated if it activates when no trooper ally is within 2 squares.

vs

Clone Wars rulebook glossary wrote:
Hologram:
This character can move through enemy characters, and enemy characters can move through it, as long as no character ends its move in the same space as another character. This character does not count as the nearest enemy, and does not count as adjacent to other characters. This character is not affected by commander effects.

This newer version to me reeks of an incomplete rewrite and/or bad proofreading. It doesn't even covering ignoring terrain (though the card text mentions it). The older version doesn't mention not being subject commander effects.

This is kind of a mess between the two versions, and there is zero about Hologram in the FAQ. In any case, I highly doubt a decision was made to change it (so as to) allow HoloVeers to gain gambit, and nobody remembers... (that happening)

So I'm changing my mind.
Characters with Hologram cannot earn gambit points.

(post edits)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:20:04 AM

Bump.

Holograms don't earn gambit after all. Bumping simply because I did not see the update when it came up, and I thought some other people may have also missed it.

HoloVeers isn't played all that often, but this is significant for Snoke. Snoke's a bit weaker because he doesn't get gambit, but he does Summon Kylo Ren to get round 1 gambit, so that does help.