Death Troopers Options
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 12:48:15 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
You kiwis really don't like strafe, do you. Wink

Luke and Leia on speeder crushes death troopers.

That is certainly not to take away from Mike.

Great squad, well played sir!

I had three squads in mind for this tournament, one of which was the speeder. I think it would have done really well against the two finalists, but would have struggled with Sharron's Solo Charge - he has disruptive, so I don't get the +20, and he can probably track the Speeder down with Ganner and Mara.

Good call.

Unfortunately, there are so many options these days, I think you gotta build squad that does well vs most of the meta you expect to see, and hope you don't face your bad matchups. Nothing beats everything. So many squads are so extreme in one direction, that squads that don't have direct counters will lose most of the time. There's too much to be able to counter everything.

I will admit that Mike had a brilliant combo. It was missed by our design team and all of the play testers. The design team play tested 4-5 matches in person vs different squads, as well as you playing a couple as a play tester. In all but 1 of playtests Death Troopers lost badly. Hux/Snoke/Ren gives them a massive boost. We are a little concerned about the combo.

In all your play tests the Death Troopers lost badly? I would love to know who played, and what was played against them. Because they have been the most dominate thing I have played with in this set. I didn't bring them to the Vassal tournament because I honestly thought they were to good.... What about them is bad? And was Snoke/Kylo/Hux never used with them? Snoke was one of the first pieces I thought about when I started bulding. DoF with them is HUGE.

I didn't want to jack the LowerHuttacon thread, so I moved this stuff here
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 12:54:49 PM

This squad includes extra movement from Agent Kallus, who also gives them the +4/+4 in case Krennic isn't around. Act control and 11 activations

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/178681/the-dead-is-our-enemy

This one is more mass activations, Opportunist, and then act control as well. You use Droopy to collect gambit, and force your opponent to come closer to you so you can unload.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/178746/i-brought-death
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 1:20:23 PM

Ya the reducing damage bit from Unit Bodyguard and the spreadable ability of it is very very powerful.

Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:54:30 PM

I Personally love the Death troopers. Them and Krennic are my favorite thing out of the set. I’ve found that their cost even with Rapport makes them difficult to build with.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 3:10:49 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
I Personally love the Death troopers. Them and Krennic are my favorite thing out of the set. I’ve found that their cost even with Rapport makes them difficult to build with.

Have you looked at the squads I built?
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 9:43:58 PM

Please by all means make squads and let's look at them.

As a designer on the set - I admit they have significantly surpassed the power level we thought they were at, mostly through unexpected combos.

Mike's squad is sick. I have a feeling that may be the best one out there (or similar with a few tweaks).

The squads that Shmi posted were considered and similar ones were PTd and not found to be problematic.

Let's use community hive mind to see what stones are yet unturned.

We don't want another Daala fiasco, and I'll be the first on board to get changes made if we need them to be.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 10:17:35 PM

Just a couple of PT snippets. (All edited for brevity and pertianant information. This is not all of the PTs, but ones I felt showed a nice variety).

-DTs with 100pt Sidious vs Mandos with a rally master, captain, 4 scouts, gunslinger, gunsmith.
(From the PTer)
against Cloaked I picked him off pretty easily.

-(With Kallus, in a similar to Shmi's squad above.) They were beat down by a Jyn/Andor + RC Luke, Princess Leia, and the 3 generals.
The major damage output of Jyn and Andor just took down the DTs fairly quickly. Krennic was too valuable to risk moving too close to the action without multiple DTs next to him. As soon as a DT was separated from the rest - they were jumped on and destroyed, Leia's cannon shot being key. Of course Evade and Mobile were keys that helped keep the Rebels alive, and RC Luke getting them where they needed to be. Of course they also outactivated the Imps,which helped a lot.

-In another playtest - 100pt vader was the beast in the middle. It was the DTs only win in PTs
(From the PTer)
I wanted to try him with 100 point Vader since his CE has movement tricks for Troopers, and because the three standard bases for Imperials (Thrawn, Daala, VoLothal) are all unavailable for Krennic. The troopers were good support shooters, although Unit Bodyguard and Dark Armour don't synergise very well. OR struggled to get through Vader. Vader and Krennic's CEs allowed lots of movement, but the squad is low activation enough it's not a problem IMO.

-DTs, Krennic, a few Death Star Gunners and troopers, Motti and Jerrjerod vs Bo-Katan, Pre-Vizla, Death sabaterus, Mando captain, Kelborn, and an Outrider on speederbike.
This match was a joke. DTs whole thing is reducing damage through bodyguarding. The bike separated them all and dropped them individually like flies. When they were grouped, they were punished by Bo-Katan's Thermal Detenator.

Overall we concluded that Strafe/gallop with damage boosts (Luke and Leia on speeder, Grievous on wheel bike, etc), any enemy moving abilities (push, barrel through, repulse, etc), and direct damage - especially with splash effects (Mira of Nar Shadda, flamethrower, missles, grenades, lightning, Thermal detonator, etc) provided enough bad matchups that they were not going to be overpowered.

I will concede that Snoke/Hux were not considered - and I see that it may be an issue.

Again - community hive mind - let's brainstorm all the combos that may be problematic.

jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 10:38:48 PM

I will just say, that it will not be a huge problem. It is just really good.
but it hurts melee rock squads more than anything else and that is why Krennic's damage reducing bit should be taken away.

things like Drallig, Serra, and Quinlan will struggle hardcore. Drallig finally gets adjacent and precision 20 the first one, needs a (if i am understanding they get +4 from Hux and +4 from Krennic to defense giving them a 25 defense) 10 to hit. both hit! the first deals 20, the second deals 10... Lightsaber precision 20 just to deal normal damage?!?
Cin deals 30 damage a round.

Cognus is liked by lots of people, she would get eaten alive. surprise attack, go ahead. does 20 damage.

Even accurate shot does not work that well since they just spread the damage wherever they want to.

But Jacen Solo you are the Death trooper scourge.

Caedus splits them up.
Jacen Solo Spinning Blade Attacks everyone for 40 damage (stifling attack!)
Ol' Ven Zallow has Stifling and a force push at the end of the turn. Satele has absorb energy, might make a good melee squad that can hold its own against death troopers.

DarthO's Yoda and friends throwing toys army (forgot name) is awesome.

TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 12:55:34 AM

I don't think huge damage potential and huge damage reducing potential should be on the same piece, and they're not subject to disruptive either.

They're super cheap - I reckon they could be 10 points more and still be playable.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 7:57:11 AM

I'm thinking offense needs to come down.

Krennic doesn't give cunning, and instead of making all "Death" allies gain Stormtrooper, simply make them count as the same name for squad abilities. This solves the Stormtrooper only boosts from stacking (Hux can't make them FO).

jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:17:07 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I'm thinking offense needs to come down.

Krennic doesn't give cunning, and instead of making all "Death" allies gain Stormtrooper, simply make them count as the same name for squad abilities. This solves the Stormtrooper only boosts from stacking (Hux can't make them FO).

offense without movement should still be fine, if the defense is not around. losing cunning, they can still gain opportunist. and still have a lot of damage reducing properties. The issue is that they have the best damage reduction and Bodyguarding abilities in the game. literally, the best. 3 of those guys together can take so many attacks. Think about it, if someone only deals 20 damage, like my Cloning Dash Rendar squad. 4 attacks at 20 damage. you have 3 unit bodyguards next to eachother at 80 HP each.

that means that I can hit 21 times and no one dies. 21 x 20 = 420 damage and not a single one of the three dies

but if you get adjacent and the target stays the same you can do 7 and 7 and than 3 before anyone dies. so that would be 17

that is 20 x 17 = 340 damage, not a single one dies.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:39:49 AM

Their whole concept is damage reducing. In your scenario literal damage reduction is far worse (they don't have to be adjacent, and 10 damage hits do nothing).

I agree with Hutts in that the issue is both offense and defense combined. Defense is their point, so offense needs to come down.

An option for a defensive reduction to help Jedi could be the addition to Unit Bodyguard - "Except from attacks by Lightsabers"
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:42:59 AM

It's also much harder than it appears to have more than two adjacent at once on the move. In playtests, DTs were taken down the phase when they are separated. Ozzel exacerbates this, since you're only moving one at a time. So Ozzel + Piett is a detriment combo, especially considering the +31pts.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 9:44:31 AM

Just to throw my hat in the ring real quick, Cin Drallig should use Brutal Strike instead of Lightsaber Precision. Spend 1 FP to deal 40 damage instead of 2 to deal 30.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:21:46 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Just to throw my hat in the ring real quick, Cin Drallig should use Brutal Strike instead of Lightsaber Precision. Spend 1 FP to deal 40 damage instead of 2 to deal 30.

Valid discussion, but respectfully it should be in a new thread.
shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 12:00:12 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

Valid discussion, but respectfully it should be in a new thread.

I think he is saying Cin could Brutal Strike through their defense, instead of Lightsaber precisioning the atack... I think thats what he is saying at least
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 12:11:35 PM

I think Mike was talking about his build having Death Troopers at 31 defense in cover, and doing 50 damage shots with Cunning.

31 defense with 80 hit points and unit bodyguard is a pretty huge defensive roadblock. If we're going to keep all that, I'd probably favour raising the cost of the Death Troopers (possibly by removing rapport), removing some offense, and making Jedi cut through Unit Bodyguard. Right now Jedi are just going to get slaughtered walking into the crossfire, unless they have swap or something.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 12:23:13 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I think Mike was talking about his build having Death Troopers at 31 defense in cover, and doing 50 damage shots with Cunning.

31 defense with 80 hit points and unit bodyguard is a pretty huge defensive roadblock. If we're going to keep all that, I'd probably favour raising the cost of the Death Troopers (possibly by removing rapport), removing some offense, and making Jedi cut through Unit Bodyguard. Right now Jedi are just going to get slaughtered walking into the crossfire, unless they have swap or something.

I think that could be good.

(Btw, I count 29 defense in cover. Still too high, but am I missing something?)

If it comes down to changes, changing one card is much better than changing two. Krennic is the problem, not Death Troopers. In the same way that Daala is the problem, not her Troopers.

Cutting out Hux (no "Stormtrooper") gives them a -4 attack defense ceiling, so I think that's a must. They would be able to play with Hux, and even bodyguard him - they just wouldn't be first order.

So I'm thinking:

Lose - Stormtrooper" (replaced by Trooper followers whose name contains "death" count as having the same name for purposes of abilities whose name contains squad)
Lose - giving out cunning
Lose - rapport
Lightsabers ignore Unit Bodyguard

gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 6:44:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I think that could be good.

(Btw, I count 29 defense in cover. Still too high, but am I missing something?)

If it comes down to changes, changing one card is much better than changing two. Krennic is the problem, not Death Troopers. In the same way that Daala is the problem, not her Troopers.

Cutting out Hux (no "Stormtrooper") gives them a -4 attack defense ceiling, so I think that's a must. They would be able to play with Hux, and even bodyguard him - they just wouldn't be first order.

So I'm thinking:

Lose - Stormtrooper" (replaced by Trooper followers whose name contains "death" count as having the same name for purposes of abilities whose name contains squad)
Lose - giving out cunning
Lose - rapport
Lightsabers ignore Unit Bodyguard

While I agree that they shouldn't count as Stormtroopers, I don't see the point of the first revision. Death Troopers are the only character whose name contains "death" and are troopers, and they already count as having the same name as each other. So that effect would do nothing, unless I'm misreading it? I would say the replacement should be something like:

Characters named "Stormtrooper" count as having the same name as characters named "Death Trooper" for the purposes of special abilities whose name contains squad.

So Death Troopers can still have the benefit of their squad abilities that they got from counting as being named Stormtrooper, while not being named Stormtrooper so not able to become First Order. Unless the intent was to remove the synergy with Stormtroopers as well? In that case, the effect can just be removed altogether, as it is redundant (unless elite death troopers or some such are added?).
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:00:53 AM

First, let me apologize, I mistyped when I put "Trooper." It should have said "Imperial ally" just like the original.

The original CE is:
"Imperial allies whose names contain Death gain Stormtrooper (Counts as a character named Stormtrooper) and Cunning Attack."

This intentionally included:

Death Star Troopers (Ah-ha! Another trooper with death in the name!)
and
Death Star Gunners

(There was some connection between Krennic and the Death Star, but I forget what it was Wink)

In addition to making use of these rarely played pieces, that provides the synergy for Moff Jerrjerrod and Admiral Motti - 2 more pieces rarely used. Then that also loops in the RA-7 Death Star Protocol Droid for Jerrjerrod's Rapport.

Suddenly 5 pieces that are virtually never used become playable.

Future Death Trooper Pieces could obviously be roped in that way too.

Of course the idea of making them all "Stormtrooper" was so that the old school Stormtrooper could be thrown in the mix. The synergy stacking with Hux was absolutely overlooked.

My feeling is that cunning has to be dropped regardless. But I do still like making those other 5 unused figures playable. But perhaps dropping the whole middle CE is easier.