RegisterDonateLogin

For those days when your overconfidence is your weakness.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Pits Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:55:17 AM
Groups: Member

Were there any rules updates regarding moving characters into pits, ie, with Sith Battle Meditation, etc.? If so, can someone please share the link of where that rule change was posted? Thanks
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:42:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It was a glossary update to Sith Battle Manipulation that you cannot move people into pits with it. I'll find the link...

Here it is:
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17399
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2017 10:38:58 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
It was a glossary update to Sith Battle Manipulation that you cannot move people into pits with it. I'll find the link...

Here it is:
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17399

So that means that Force Push and Force Repulse ( anything else I am missing? ), are still fair game for moving characters into pits?
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, June 1, 2017 11:30:32 AM

Yes, with the exception of force pull, and force choke 2. I think they just announced the force choke 2 earlier this week that it works like pull and cannot drop people into pits.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 8:20:44 PM

It's stupid ass wording rules like this that make people want to quit. How does FPull, FC2, FPush, FR, and SBM differ in any way as to moving people into pit? Instead of worrying about Vong, or grenadiers or gungans or Reserves that hardly ever show up, how about fixing stupid shit like this?

Sorry for the language, but this is frustrating to understand
Caedus
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 8:22:29 PM

No need to reply, the statement is rhetorical
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:17:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Still, the rationale is worth having out there.

With Pull and Force Choke you're picking someone up and bringing them next to you. So they ignore terrain (except walls) during movement. That means that while moving they don't fall into pits because they float over them. I guess the abilities could have allowed you to put someone in a pit if you're standing next to a pit, but they don't. Mainly for balance reasons... it would be a 50% chance to kill anyone within 6 squares if you're standing next to a pit, and for only 2fp.

For Repulse and Push, you're pushing people along the ground so if they hit a pit they could fall in. From a balance perspective it's much harder to push people into pits than it would be with Pull. You have to get the enemy between your character and the pit and then the distance they get to move is generally much smaller than the 6 squares you can Pull. And it costs more Force... generally 1 Force per square of movement.

SBM used to allow people to be tossed into pits but it proved to be too powerful after Sith got extra Force batteries. (Freedon Nadd spirit was likely the one that pushed it over the top.) Thematically, it makes sense, too. I'm sure it's much easier to use the Force to make the enemies into worse fighters than it is to use the Force to make someone commit suicide.