RegisterDonateLogin

Is as precise as Imperial Stormtroopers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Developing a branching scenario. Feedback welcome! Options
Brutilus
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:00:24 AM
Groups: Member

The scenario writing bug bit me...

The premise is Lando leading a group trying to free Cloud City from the Imperial garrison. This takes place shortly after the battle of Endor.

I'm working on the scenario write up on Google Docs bit by bit and the squads are in my squads.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ipJ9mrLIvovRqu2xB4aSBnKeJk0h4tgkwnnPnwRV5b8/edit?usp=sharing

I have been putting together some squads to assign to each mission. I'd love feedback on the squads and suggestions for maps for the missions.

Thanks in advance!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:35:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'll take a look and provide some feedback. I put together a series of 4 scenarios with branching rules here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/848551/boba-versus-han-campaign-rules

The "final confrontation" scenario worked to allow a series of 4 linked scenarios without having to figure out 15 different scenarios. There's 1 starting scenario, which branches to 2 options for scenario #2, 4 options for scenario #3. But then scenario #4 is always the "final confrontation". Depending on how many missions you want, that sort of thing can help keep the number of branches in check.

We had a lot of fun playing it, but I haven't ever returned to do it again.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:45:37 AM

Scouting the Defenses: Gotta be the Cloud City map with the landing platform.

Take the Master Control Room: Probably one of the Battle Stations Maps, or if only using original WotC maps use Death Star.

Defend Imperial Resources: Another Battle Stations Map, or Death Star again. But different setup areas from Take the Master Control Room.

Reclaim the Mining Facilities: One of the maps from the Mining Colony series. Lower Level would probably be most thematic, but is also the most cumbersome to have a smooth skirmish on. Any of the 4 would work.

Retreat to the Landing Platforms: Cloud City again. Or if you want a change of pace, Ossus Landing Platform or escape to the docking bay on Death Star.

Sabotage the Garrison: Need a description of this scenario to make a good suggestion.
Brutilus
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:57:48 AM

What are these "Battle Station" and "Mining Colony" maps of which you speak?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:42:45 PM

They're both by Christopher West (Maps of Mastery). He was the artist for Wizards of the Coast when the game was in print, and he has continued to make SWMinis maps after the game was discontinued. Those are some of the maps he made.

The Mining Colony maps are here:
https://maps-of-mastery-store.myshopify.com/products/distant-outposts-deluxe-set

The Mining Colony Sublevel is on map #4 in that set. Here's a link for the individual map:
https://maps-of-mastery-store.myshopify.com/products/distant-outposts-iv-administration-quadrant-and-sublevel

Here are the Battle Stations maps:
https://maps-of-mastery-store.myshopify.com/collections/sci-fi-maps/products/battle-stations-deluxe-set

They follow the same format as the WotC Death Star map (style and the turbolifts in the corners), but basically lay the Death Star out over 8 maps. Several of them would have a room that would work as a Master Control Room. The individual maps are in this list somewhere:
https://maps-of-mastery-store.myshopify.com/collections/2-sided-poster-maps
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:11:18 PM

Looks cool, by the way.
lifelike
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 12:26:16 AM

I really like this idea.

Also Lando almost does this in the old post-ESB Marvel comics. I think the issues with that story were in the Star Wars Omnibus A Long Time Ago #3 collection (possibly #2 or #4) still available digitally. SPOILERS: Main part of the plot in the comics are ugnaughts that are treated badly by the imperials and decide to side with Lando and Lobot to drive them away. That story is in my headcanon until contradicted. Although when Luke uses the force to remote-control bombs that might be a bit much.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 12:32:33 AM

neat scenario!
I will try making this interoperable with TheHutts and Kezzamachine's "AI" rubrik/schema
so that it can be one-player vs the game,
like "40K in 40mins" style hehe.

thanks for sharing BigGrin
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 7, 2018 4:59:16 PM

If you wanted to run it with just the maps you already have, can you post what you have?
Brutilus
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 8:10:42 AM

I'm still not sure how to tell what some of the maps are named.

Here's what I know I have:
Revenge of the Sith mounted map
Battle of Hoth
Attack on Endor
Crystal Caves of Ilum
Showdown at Teth Palace
Attack on Teth
Rancor Pit / Massassi Temple
Armored Cartographer's Pirate Base

I also have 2 maps that I don't know the name for. One is single-sided with a figure checklist on the back, a very large landing platform with a twin-tailed yellow wing fighter on it. The other has an Eta 2 Actis-Class Interceptor on one side.

I have several others that I could use help identifying.

I've just ordered:
Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions: Clone Strike
Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions: Rebel Storm
Death Star Map League Promo
A map from jedicartographer on eBay

I'm open to acquiring other maps, especially commonly used ones, but not sure where to find them.
Brutilus
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 2:04:49 PM

As it turns out, I happen to have a second Nalvaanian Snow Fields / Teth Courtyard map. Free to a good home! Bloomail me.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 2:12:20 PM

Brutilus wrote:
I'm still not sure how to tell what some of the maps are named.

Here's what I know I have:
Revenge of the Sith mounted map
Battle of Hoth
Attack on Endor
Crystal Caves of Ilum
Showdown at Teth Palace
Attack on Teth
Rancor Pit / Massassi Temple

I also have 2 maps that I don't know the name for. One is single-sided with a figure checklist on the back, a very large landing platform with a twin-tailed yellow wing fighter on it. The other has an Eta 2 Actis-Class Interceptor on one side.

I have several others that I could use help identifying.

I've just ordered:
Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions: Clone Strike
Star Wars Miniatures Ultimate Missions: Rebel Storm
Death Star Map League Promo
A map from jedicartographer on eBay

I'm open to acquiring other maps, especially commonly used ones, but not sure where to find them.

Here is a PDF with all of the maps as of 2014:
http://swmgamers.com/SWM/Rules/MapList_2014.pdf

There have been some more maps since then, but I don't think we have a newer PDF that has all the maps.

That PDF will let you know the names we use to refer to the maps.
Brutilus
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:56:35 AM

OK... So I currently have:
Rancor Pen
Commander's Office
Power Regulation Chamber
Hall of Judgement
Rattatak Arena
Endor Bunker
Echo Base Outpost
Ossus Landing PLatform
Muunilinst Commerce Plaza
Christophsis (Intact)
Nelvaan Snow Fields
Teth Courtyard
Teth Monastery
Crystal Caves of Ilum
Coruscant Streets
Hoth Plateau

I've ordered and am waiting on:
Death Star
Cloud City
Nightclub
Grand Plaza
Mos Eisley
Geonosis Arena Pit
Cliffside Citadel
Anchorhead
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 11:07:57 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Scouting the Defenses: Gotta be the Cloud City map with the landing platform.

Take the Master Control Room: Probably one of the Battle Stations Maps, or if only using original WotC maps use Death Star.

Defend Imperial Resources: Another Battle Stations Map, or Death Star again. But different setup areas from Take the Master Control Room.

Reclaim the Mining Facilities: One of the maps from the Mining Colony series. Lower Level would probably be most thematic, but is also the most cumbersome to have a smooth skirmish on. Any of the 4 would work.

Retreat to the Landing Platforms: Cloud City again. Or if you want a change of pace, Ossus Landing Platform or escape to the docking bay on Death Star.

Sabotage the Garrison: Need a description of this scenario to make a good suggestion.

From what I have above but taking into consideration your map list, the only change is that I guess I'd say "Power Regulation Chamber" for "Reclaim the Mining Facilities". You don't seem to have a great map for that scenario, but that seems the closest. The maps of mastery link I posted above has a set of 4 maps that together comprise a large industrial mining building (basement, 2 stories, and roof). I think any except the roof would work well for your scenario, but especially the sublevel. Although at $15 per map, those maps are a bit pricier than many of the others you might find.
Brutilus
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:57:47 AM

I've just ordered the Battle Stations Map set.

Scouting the Defenses: I'm definitely on-board with Cloud City or Ossus Landing Platform.

Take the Master Control Room: I'll take a look at the rest of the Battle Stations maps when they arrive, but nothing is really jumping out at me.

Defend Imperial Resources: Death Star, totally.

Reclaim the Mining Facilities: I'm thinking that Power Regulation Chamber has more of the feel I'm going for.

Sabotage the Garrison: I think Security Deck from Battle Stations would fit
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:27:07 PM

I think you'll like the Battle Stations maps, especially if you want to play scenarios with linked maps. One scenario can end in a turbolift. The next scenario starts by getting off the turbolift on another floor.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 5:19:25 PM

Any updates on this?
Brutilus
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:35:19 PM

I've only had a little bit of time because of travel for work, but I've drafted a few more of the "briefings" and filled out some more of the squads.

How does everyone feel about having uneven point counts on the teams? "Reclaim the Mining Facilities" and "Retreat to the Landing Platforms" both follow a pair of victories by one side or the other. That should lead to a distinct momentum advantage for the side coming off a pair of victories. I think either an point army point bonus or a bonus to either attack or defense would best represent the momentum of the victor.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:11:04 PM

If the goals are asymmetric, asymmetric point costs are fine, too.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:52:19 PM

that sounds like fun, if you can, a 'Let's Play"/ After-Action Report would be excellent to see hehe.
like those featured in WhiteDwarf or Save20Magazine hehe.

on a related tangent;
there was a map-parts-pack set of transparencies,
a devArt map-maker from a while back made a bunch of vector-art on separate transparent layers for use with GIMP etc,
so you can make your own custom transparent tile-wars tiles overlays etc.
if you get to wanting to make customs, that'd be a great resource hehe.