RegisterDonateLogin

The extra "o" means quality.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What does the community know about the Vong faction? Options
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 6:14:16 AM
Groups: Member

So, obviously anyone can cheat, and I fully expect a few people to do that. But. Try answering these without looking them up, or reading what other people write. Test your knowledge of everything in this faction. I put WOTC SA on here also, even tho I know most of them, which means I assume most everyone else should. But I can honestly say, I would've failed this test! So try it out, copy and paste this, answer it to the best of your ability (doesn't have to be word for word or anything but just close) and see how much you actually know about the Vong in our community.

1. Yun-Harla Devotion

2. Yun-Harla Sacrifice

3. Yun-Ne'Shel Devotion

4. Yun-Shuno Devotion

5. Shamed One

6. FireJelly

7. Corrosive Acid

8. Thud Bug

9. Razor Bug

10. Amphistaff

11. Vonduun Crab Armor

12. Graft

13. Shaper

14. Master Shaper

15. Droid Fanaticism

16. Tall-Yor

17. Plasma Eel

18. Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator

19. Gablith Masquer

20. Scarification +10

21. Clan Leader

22. Exterminate

23. Retaliatory Attack

24. Specialization

25. Droid Fanaticism

26. Absorb Minerals

27. Plasma Eel

28. Dovin Basal

29. Neural Mapping

30. Bo'tous Spore

31. Exterminate

32. Us-hrok

33. Warden

34. Interference

35. Shapeshifter

36. Vong Heritage

37. Jeedai Heresy

38. Magma Pebble

39. Lover Gods' Bond

40. Lover Gods' Sacrifice

41. Coomb Spore

42. Loyal Followers

43. Coral Implants

44. Ooglith Masquer

45. Plaeryin Bol

46. Puppet Master

juice man
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 6:31:32 AM

At a guess I think the community knows this is a game.

The community knows that when gamers get together to play they can change this game to suit personal taste.

Simple.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:55:20 AM

I know this;
"The Last Remnants of |the old continuity and canon| have been swept away". --- tarkin meme BigGrin
sure, it swept away the prequels, NJO etc,
though it also thankfully wiped out the Legacy and Vong arcs too! insomuchas that, I rejoiced.

When I read RA Salvatore's "Vector Prime',
(Chewbie Sernpidal was to book-readers, what the punk-death of Han in SW"7" was to the nuWarsDisneyTrek-brams verse)
that was enough to swear me off what had started in Jedi Apprentice: Rogue Planet.
From then on, I disliked the Wars-Borg Vong from Zonama Sekot... BigGrin
they really were exceedingly like Species 8472...

I digress;
all I know is; NomBomb squads were annoying,
and that they were one of the most Force-User and melee nerfing factions of all time.
I remember threads where people debated if Soresu Style Mastery on GOWK was worse,
or if the Vong in general and their outlandish-survivability was.
I remember the Ysalamiri + Vong = QuitSWMinis event too... hehe.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 10:09:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

kobayashimaru wrote:
I know this;
"The Last Remnants of |the old continuity and canon| have been swept away". --- tarkin meme BigGrin
sure, it swept away the prequels, NJO etc,
though it also thankfully wiped out the Legacy and Vong arcs too! insomuchas that, I rejoiced.

When I read RA Salvatore's "Vector Prime',
(Chewbie Sernpidal was to book-readers, what the punk-death of Han in SW"7" was to the nuWarsDisneyTrek-brams verse)
that was enough to swear me off what had started in Jedi Apprentice: Rogue Planet.
From then on, I disliked the Wars-Borg Vong from Zonama Sekot... BigGrin
they really were exceedingly like Species 8472...

I digress;
all I know is; NomBomb squads were annoying,
and that they were one of the most Force-User and melee nerfing factions of all time.
I remember threads where people debated if Soresu Style Mastery on GOWK was worse,
or if the Vong in general and their outlandish-survivability was.
I remember the Ysalamiri + Vong = QuitSWMinis event too... hehe.

Chewie getting hit by a moon, sacrificing himself for Han's son= a better death than Han getting surprise skewered by his son. (Disney have a thing for surprise lightsabers, don't they?)

So, one character death was enough to make you dislike a whole series and indeed a whole continuity. OK. You'll forgive me for thinking the sequels are garbage for a whole lot of reasons, then.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:07:50 PM

So assuming you mean what are the sources for these abilities? Because what the specific ability in SWM is I know them all except that Tal-yor and Us-Hrok. So going on the assumption it's the former you're looking for, here is what I know just from reading and enjoying the NJO/Legacy/Invasion books and comics.

1. Yun-Harla Devotion - ah yes the trickster god of the Vong, some compared Jaina and Jacen to her

2. Yun-Harla Sacrifice - Vong we known for sacrificing to whatever god they deemed important to a battle

3. Yun-Ne'Shel Devotion - pretty sure this is the Intendent god?

4. Yun-Shuno Devotion - war god

5. Shamed One - these are outcasts of the Vong society due to their implants not taking to their bodies, and serve as borderline slaves, until Nom Anor becomes Yuusha and leads them in a revolution! Also there was an excellent shamed one Arc with Tahira.

6. FireJelly - Vong warriors used it to melt through doors when raiding ships

7. Corrosive Acid - whether carried by creatures that spewed it or from the mouth of a Gretchin they had to have ways to combat the mechanical machine "demons" they hated.

8. Thud Bug - come on super easy one, it's literally one of the two weapons all warriors carried and was a small insect that they used to hurl at enemies and stun them

9. Razor Bug - same as above except with razor-blade style chitin for beetle Armor.

10. Amphistaff - another easy one, the easily modular weapon of the warriors that they used as either a whip or spear to attack with, as common as an E-11 in the NJO books

11. Vonduun Crab Armor - the Armor all warriors where, attaches and bonds to them for life and helps protect against all damage, but fun fact there was some kind of spore (on Ithor?? Maybe) that caused the Armor to go anaphylactic and compress the warriors to death, I think that's why Sheado wipes out the planet?

12. Graft - happens tons of times throughout the series, it's how they "heal" troops. Most popular one was Tsavong Lah's leg after Jacen cut it off and they put on a Radank leg from a beast that he kills instead

13. Shaper - one of the 4 main classes of Vong society (shaper, priest, warrior, intendant) who specialize in creating, repairing and eventually straight up mixing around with new bio-technology

14. Master Shaper - the head shaper, been a couple different ones over the years

15. Droid Fanaticism - something that almost all Vong should have by default, they HATE technology

16. Tall-Yor - ok this one I don't have any idea *edit* looked it up after I was done and also called a Cognition hood by the New Republic which is the name I remember them being called in the series, basically a bio-interface for flying a ship, super painful to attach haha*

17. Plasma Eel - specialized thrown weapon carried by some warriors

18. Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator - Peace Brigade came from the roots of Nom Anor's meddling and were human collaborators that were trying to minimize damage and allow the Vong to peacefully take over the galaxy

19. Gablith Masquer - kind of a personal cloaking body-suit that allows one to look like anyone.

20. Scarification +10 - Vong believed that scars made them stronger as they told of their strength to endure it and of battles past, and would often ritually scar themselves

21. Clan Leader -within each part of the Vong society there were many clans that naturally had leaders and were usually centuries around their worldships

22. Exterminate - is this a Vong specific one? Guess it's related to how they want to wipe out all that stand against them (Droids and jedi specifically)

23. Retaliatory Attack - another seemingly generic ability but in relation to Vong they were very easy to goad into attacking and would become enraged if injured, fighting back even harder

24. Specialization - yet another gameplay ability that is not Vong specific but anything can be specialized

25. Droid Fanaticism - this was already on the list, see #15

26. Absorb Minerals -Gretchen were unleaded into battle to attack enemy ships, and then actually sustain themselves off of the material they gathered

27. Plasma Eel - this was already on the list, see #17

28. Dovin Basal - their main source of energy, a being that can manipulate energy and create small black holes to move the ship or absorb laser blasts, required a lot of ships focusing fire to be able to overcome their dovin basals

29. Neural Mapping - that one creepy Shaper that was obsessed with mapping out the mind of a jedi and understanding their force connection, she made Tahira part Vong and able to telepathically connect with Vong tech

30. Bo'tous Spore - at first I thought these were the coomb spores but not sure

31. Exterminate - this was already on the list, see #22

32. Us-hrok - ok legit don't know this one *edit looked it up after, still don't know it but game-wise makes sense*

33. Warden - seems like a generic negative ability, but warden was a rank held by the Vong

34. Interference - another non-Vong specific ability, though they did disrupt a lot of things with their unorthodox style! Haha

35. Shapeshifter - the Ooglith master alone makes this reasonable but also somewhat generic ability for any shapeshifters

36. Vong Heritage - fitting because it allows Vong to carry on the good aspects of their traditions in another faction

37. Jeedai Heresy - relates to when Yuusha AKA Nom was converting more and more Vong to his cause

38. Magma Pebble - one of their lovely anti-droid burning biotechs

39. Lover Gods' Bond - in relation to the lover god I suppose? Hahaha

40. Lover Gods' Sacrifice - continuation of the last but was this what Jacen and Jains were supposed to be?

41. Coomb Spore -small spores used to infect Mara Jade Skywalker and cured by Vergere's tears

42. Loyal Followers - referencing the previous Supreme Commanders loyal faction as he scouted the galaxy prior to the Vong attack

43. Coral Implants - it's how Vong armor gets attached to people, makes sense

44. Ooglith Masquer - cloaking equipment used on Vong to make them look like others

45. Plaeryin Bol - Nom's awesome poison eye!

46. Puppet Master -MASSIVE SPOILERS:

describing how onimi manipulated Shimraa the whole time

All in all I really like the extragalactic invaders for several reasons:

-something new! There's only so many times you can rehash super weapon/stormtroopers/dark jedi route that all games/shows/movies focus on. I appreciated the Confederacy because it was something different and the Vong for the same

-major involvement in the main EU.
As opposed to standard one-off stories or the boring repeated montage of the X-wing series, here you had something that had been hinted at by Canderous Ordo, Palpatine, Zonoma Sekot, Thrawn and Nom Anor's early appearances. And had long lasting effects into the Legacy comics era (another one of my favorite eras)

-major shake ups.
Not only did they kill of Chewbacca (come on it took a freaking moon to kill Chewie, way better Death then that random end of The Last Jedi or Han's. And Akbar got a better death in NJO then his throwaway death in the movie ("oh yeah and Akbar was in there too when it blew up"). But there was also massive changes to Coruscant (world brain!! Why is this not a piece yet???) planets being altered, wiped out, characters dying (Anakins is to this day one of the most shocking and sad ones I have read), and laid the seeds of what was to come with Jaina and Jacen.

-new tech! Organic technology is so out there and new I think it's awesomely executed. And still want to do a Separatist versus Vong battle one day

In closing you could probably have posted this for almost any faction and their abilities, we have got some obscure characters and a slew of abilities out there these days. If you don't know the EU you may have a hard time keeping up (I barely played ToR so I don't know any of those characters)

At least the Vong didn't add much more for Force powers hahaha.
jak
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:35:59 AM

here's what I know.
Vong in SWM is a total NPE, made worse by by Vset piecesThumbDown
I'd rather not play, than play against a Vong squad.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:04:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:
here's what I know.

You and Joe are friends, right? Just checking.
juice man
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 7:09:44 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
jak wrote:
here's what I know.

Don't try to kid us, Jack. You hated Vong long before the V-Sets.
They just made them more playable. (or annoying)BigGrin
jak
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 10:28:02 AM

juice man wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
jak wrote:
here's what I know.

Don't try to kid us, Jack. You hated Vong long before the V-Sets.
They just made them more playable. (or annoying)BigGrin

not trying to kid anyone.
yes. I've hated them always, I said they were made worse by Vsets