RegisterDonateLogin

Almost untouched by CGI.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Con Artist Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:44:47 PM
Groups: Member

in response to when you choose the CE, you SHOULD be able to choose a CE brought in by reinforcements because it is worded exactly the same as the yammosk and the yammosk allows you to take one brought in by reinforcements.

As fas as disruptive, if my con artist is in my opp's disruptive bubble, I don't see how it wouldn't be disrupted by definition of disruptive. Disruptive clearly says if the commander or the person receiving the CE is in the disruptive bubble they don't get the CE.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:11:16 PM

Yes, but his disruptive only works for enemy CE's, not his own commander.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:19:34 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
in response to when you choose the CE, you SHOULD be able to choose a CE brought in by reinforcements because it is worded exactly the same as the yammosk and the yammosk allows you to take one brought in by reinforcements.

this distinction isn't listed anywhere as far as i can tell and thus the Yammosk shouldn't be able to do it. A glossary revision should make it clear if that's what is desired, because at the moment there is no reason why the Yammosk or Con artists get the drop on reinforcements. They are all simultaneous with the current wording used.

Quote:
As fas as disruptive, if my con artist is in my opp's disruptive bubble, I don't see how it wouldn't be disrupted by definition of disruptive. Disruptive clearly says if the commander or the person receiving the CE is in the disruptive bubble they don't get the CE.

"disruptive (card text) - Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares"

"Disruptive (glossary text) Enemy commander effects have no effect (on enemies and allies alike) within 6 squares of this character.

Characters within 6 squares cannot receive the benefits (or the penalties) of enemy commander effects until they move out of range. An enemy commander within 6 squares has its commander effect suppressed until it moves out of range. (It still counts as a commander.)

A character who starts its turn outside this range and whose speed is modified by a commander effect continues to move at that speed for the rest of its turn, even if it comes within 6 squares of this character. Conversely, a character that begins its turn within range cannot have its speed modified by an enemy commander effect for the rest of its turn, even if it moves farther than 6 squares from this character."

All the references above state "enemy CE", Con Artists are not using enemy CE's. They are using yours.

Scott seems to have a reason why it should be as you say and in that case Disruptive also needs a glossary re-write.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:08:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

fingersandteeth wrote:
Objections?

Yes.

As Echo24 pointed out, that it isn't what Sithborg ruled regarding Con Artist/Disruptive. Of course it's possible that I misread what Sithborg meant, but I asked for/invited a correction/clarification on September 8, November 11, November 16, December 3, January 27, and again today.

From what I can tell, this is where we stand based on people's comments in this thread:

Interpretation A: Disruptive affects enemies. (i.e. Con Artist is only disrupted by enemy Disruptive)
FlyingArrow (I think Sithborg ruled this interpretation, and so far he hasn't corrected that interpretation)
Echo24 (A or C, waiting on Sithborg)
SignerJ

Interpretation B: Disruptive affects enemy commander effects (meaning commander effects of enemy commanders). (i.e. Con Artist is only disrupted by allied Disruptive)
fingersandteeth
swinefeld
juice man
UrbanShmi (preferred interpretation)

Interpretation C: Disruptive affects both enemies and enemy commander effects. (i.e. Con Artist is disrupted by both enemy and allied Disruptive)
urbanjedi
Echo24 (A or C, waiting on Sithborg)

(If I misunderstood you, don't worry about it - it's not a vote. Just illustrating that there is disagreement.)
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:57:23 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:

this distinction isn't listed anywhere as far as i can tell and thus the Yammosk shouldn't be able to do it. A glossary revision should make it clear if that's what is desired, because at the moment there is no reason why the Yammosk or Con artists get the drop on reinforcements. They are all simultaneous with the current wording used.

This was ruled on a long time ago and it was determined that it all happens "during setup" and since there isn't (or wasn't) a specific breakdown nor a wanting to break it down any further than setup, that the yammosk basically chose the CE right before the battle started (basically at the end of setup which is still during setup).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:09:02 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
This was ruled on a long time ago and it was determined that it all happens "during setup" and since there isn't (or wasn't) a specific breakdown nor a wanting to break it down any further than setup, that the yammosk basically chose the CE right before the battle started (basically at the end of setup which is still during setup).

It was ruled that Yammosk is after Reinforcements but before Pellaeon. I don't know if there was ever a ruling about exact timing for Yammosk, but multiple Yammosk/Con Artist decisions should be simultaneous so they need to be "slotted" in the pre-game order somewhere.

In the Pre-Game Procedures post, I separated out "deferred squadbuilding" abilities (like Reinforcements) from other abilities that trigger "after seeing your opponent's squad". I put them one right after the other immediately after squad reveal, since the wording is the same: "during squadbuilding, after seeing your opponent's squad". This seems most consistent with this thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=10595

(Like anything else in the Pre-Game Procedures post, I welcome corrections if anything is incorrect.)

===
Edit: Actually, re-reading the gamers thread. It was ruled that Yammosk comes immediately after Reinforcements and both happen right after squad reveal and before map roll.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:46:19 PM

My concern is clarifying the rules so that they can be read and understood. It shouldn't need Jason, Scott or I or anyone else to explain the details, you should be able to read them and understand them.

Disruptive, as its written, applies to enemy commander effects and characters that cannot receive them. It does not mention enemies because it is well aware that some commander effects can effect enemies and some can effect allies, so the wording is specific.

Con artist uses an enemy commander effect. Your disruptive inhibits it.
Enemy disruptive does not because its an allied commander effect. It doesn't matter that its stolen.

Without an errata that is how it plays and really, it doesn't need one.

Flying arrow, your effort with the timing of procedures is well met. I have thoughts on it.

fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:47:27 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

===
Edit: Actually, re-reading the gamers thread. It was ruled that Yammosk comes immediately after Reinforcements and both happen right after squad reveal and before map roll.

right, its stuff like that that should have gone in the glossary, i guess a procedure list works just as well.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:41:50 PM

Bump. This came up again on SHNN tonight so I thought I would give it a bump. Still confusion on what the ruling is.

Interpretation A: Disruptive affects enemies. (i.e. Con Artist is only disrupted by enemy Disruptive)

Interpretation B: Disruptive affects enemy commander effects (meaning commander effects of enemy commanders). (i.e. Con Artist is only disrupted by allied Disruptive)

Interpretation C: Disruptive affects both enemies and enemy commander effects. (i.e. Con Artist is disrupted by both enemy and allied Disruptive)

Darth Jim announced the ruling for this weekend's PA tournament. We will be playing according to Interpretation B for this weekend. Also, urbanjedi was also on the call and indicated his support of Interpretation B as well.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:58:17 PM

B is correct IMO
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, May 2, 2014 1:50:49 AM

That is also how we played it in Kokomo.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 11:16:06 AM

and PA
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:17:40 PM

(B) is correct.

Confirmed by swinefeld. And this is how we've been playing it the past few years, but on returning to this thread I noticed no official word was ever given.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:55:16 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
(B) is correct.

Confirmed by swinefeld. And this is how we've been playing it the past few years, but on returning to this thread I noticed no official word was ever given.

Page 2, 2nd post from the bottom, though bold text was not used, so technically you are correct.

Here is an official Nickname answer not in FAQ scraped from WotC before they yanked the forums...

Nickname wrote:
There are very few cases where a character is affected by an enemy commander effect. Battle Meditation is one example--it prevents enemies from combining fire. If the Snowspeeder were being affected by Battle Meditation, then Juno would allow it to combine fire as normal.

Link is long dead now, so trust me or not on that, but NN's answer is consistent with what both Deri and I had posted in this thread as far as how Disruptive works. The stolen CE is not blocked from the Con Artist while within the enemy's Disruptive as it is an allied CE as far as the enemy is concerned. The enemy CE is blocked from the Con Artist while it is within allied Disruptive. No enemy CE can affect an ally within allied Disruptive, sans the enemy commander having Disciplined Leader or there being some other similar effect in play that would apply.