RegisterDonateLogin

Lets the Wookiee win.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Special Abilities that SWM Could Add Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:10:14 PM
Groups: Member

I know we have threads suggesting characters for the v-set, but I don't know if we have any requesting new abilities.

Here are two that I'd like:

Sight based counter to Init Control
If this character has line of sight to an enemy, all Special abilities etc that modify initiative are suppressed.

Adjacent Empathy
A cheaper version of the Varactyl Wrangler that only works adjacent.

Any other ideas?
AceAce
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:49:25 PM

Destroy green objects and lose cover but stay difficult terrain
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:20:12 PM

I'd like to see a counter to reserves/reinforcements that's more reactionary than it is suppresive.

Something like:

Countertactics: Each time your opponent adds an additional character to their squad, one follower may either move up to two squares or make an immediate attack. Attacks generated by this ability cannot trigger additional attacks (such as those granted by Twin Attack).
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:14:08 PM

Similar to Rally, a cumulative defense boost whenever you or an ally takes damage, but only lasts until the end of the turn. So, let's say it's on a new Clone Trooper, and that Trooper costs 7 points, so you can field a bunch of them. Your opponent has a Lancer with GGDAC, and thinks they're gonna just wipe them all out at once. Strafes in, has +14 atk to the Clone's 14 Def. Gone. Has +14 atk to the Clone's 18 to hit. Needs a 4 to hit. Gone. By the time he gets to the fifth clone, that bugger has 30 defense, and he needs to roll a 16 to hit.

Few things to note. First, yes, +4 at a time is probably overdoing it. Second, nobody Imperial would get this. No Naboo either. The idea for a piece with this ability would be so that it a swarm squad could be played in a manner that is fun for both sides - so maybe it has Guile to discourage out-act-and-smash tactics, and it doesn't get anything like Charging Fire that lets it hide in the back and then run 2 miles to kill you. This ability would get rid of the swarm's main weakness, and thus it would also need to get rid of swarm's usual strengths.

Another idea: Something like Duel, but a little more intense. Like, "while this character has line of sight to a Unique enemy, both characters gain Diplomat while it is not their turn. While it is their turn, non-Unique characters gain Diplomat." I've been trying to get this to work for almost a year, but the basic idea is that your big beat and your opponent's big beat have to fight each other and leave the rest of your squads alone. I'm thinking of the scene in the Old Republic trailer "Hope," where Satele and Malgus are beating the pulp out of each other while the non-Unique combatants completely ignore them.

One more: something to totally turn tempo control on its head, but doesn't crush it, and still requires some skill: "At the beginning of each phase, if your opponent has more unactivated characters than you, you may choose to activate 0 characters in that phase."

So let's say you've got your squad of three solid beats and some door control, and your opponent has 24-activation Daala. If it's early game, you can just make Daala spin a bunch of activations so you don't get mauled by the end-of-round charge. If it's mid-game, maybe you want to wait out the storm and avoid Opportunist, or maybe you do want to engage right away. You don't get destroyed by act control, but they don't auto-lose either: you still have to play intelligently, and it keeps your opponent on their toes.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:38:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

EmporerDragon wrote:
I'd like to see a counter to reserves/reinforcements that's more reactionary than it is suppresive.

Something like:

Countertactics: Each time your opponent adds an additional character to their squad, one follower may either move up to two squares or make an immediate attack. Attacks generated by this ability cannot trigger additional attacks (such as those granted by Twin Attack).

Seems like that would be more fitting as a commander effect, like the reactionary counter to Reinforcements we have already- Queen Allana's CE.

(Immediately before the first initiative roll of the skirmish, you may add a character that costs 5 or less to your squad for each character that was added to your opponent's squad, or that replaced a character in your opponent's squad.)

But with the new floor rules for Reserves, they don't need any more counters IMO; Reinforcements are a better target.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:03:36 PM

Would it be bad to want Bribery 20? It'd have to be a piece that does a lot more than counter Reinforcements, so it'd be expensive enough that it isn't an auto-include - or even a common-include.

Hey, another idea: what about some sort of really stiff defensive ability that is negated by combining fire? Like, something as powerful as Advanced Diffusion Armor or Laser Defense System.
Defensive Position: Damage from nonadjacent enemies is reduced to 10 against this character. Attacks with lightsabers or with combined fire ignore this ability.

EDIT: OH! Here, I finally have an important one.:

Assault: Can move before attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if it moves this turn, but it must end its move before attacking.

It's Greater Mobile Attack, but you can't run back into cover. I feel like this could take the place of GMA in designing quite a bit of the time. Some pieces need GMA to be usable, but don't get it because they'd be too good. Some pieces have GMA, and need something else to be useable, but don't get it because they'd be too good. OR Troopers are fantastic, but you need to be very careful designing for them, because they're already 90 Dmg GMA turrets. In situations like that, you can give a piece the (very positive) ability to be able to move and unload, without giving them the (often negative) ability to run back out of sight with no chance of retaliation. (Also very thematic - I have yet to see a movie where non-Uniques run back into cover after running out to shoot LOL )
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:11:14 PM

A few weeks ago we had a lively discussion in the Customs CCC about a Dexter Jettster Informant ability directing other characters where to go, some kind of ability to grant a movement before a round starts or even a low level movement breaker of another type.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:12:17 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:

Assault: Can move before attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if it moves this turn, but it must end its move before attacking.

It's Greater Mobile Attack, but you can't run back into cover. I feel like this could take the place of GMA in designing quite a bit of the time. Some pieces need GMA to be usable, but don't get it because they'd be too good. Some pieces have GMA, and need something else to be useable, but don't get it because they'd be too good. OR Troopers are fantastic, but you need to be very careful designing for them, because they're already 90 Dmg GMA turrets. In situations like that, you can give a piece the (very positive) ability to be able to move and unload, without giving them the (often negative) ability to run back out of sight with no chance of retaliation. (Also very thematic - I have yet to see a movie where non-Uniques run back into cover after running out to shoot LOL )

That is quite interesting, IMO. I wonder what other limits might need to be put on it. Ambush/Backlash do the same thing, but are contingent on the enemy's activation status. Assault doesn't care, but would still benefit from bonuses based on activation status. I like the concept a lot, especially the non-GMA angle, but without some other requirement might just replace both of those other abilities. Unsure
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:02:19 AM

I like Ambush and Backlash, but you have to make all your attacks against one enemy - that's the part that bothers me.

Maybe a special ability version of Lightsaber Assault? Replaces attacks, they can make two attacks?

Either way, obviously not something that should be spammed or handed out to an entire faction.

EDIT: And, I believe I've heard that someone with Mobile and Ambush/Backlash can move, unload on one person, and then use Mobile to move back (assuming they have movement left)?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:52:10 AM

swinefeld wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

That is quite interesting, IMO. I wonder what other limits might need to be put on it. Ambush/Backlash do the same thing, but are contingent on the enemy's activation status. Assault doesn't care, but would still benefit from bonuses based on activation status. I like the concept a lot, especially the non-GMA angle, but without some other requirement might just replace both of those other abilities. Unsure

Sorta related to the above:

Something we talked about for visa 14 but ended up on the cutting room floor -

Hit and Run [Replaces turn: this character may move up to 2 squares, make all its attacks then move its speed. This turn, it is immune to AoOs]
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:57:20 AM

Sounds like you guys are talking about "Great Mobile Attack". It's Great, but not Greater. BigGrin

How about Greatest Mobile Attack?

Greatest Mobile Attack [Can move to any square on the board, make all of its attacks, and then move to any square on the board. This character can make extra attacks even if it moves this turn, but it must make them all before resuming movement.]

LOL
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:58:08 AM

I have ALWAYS wanted lightsaber style specific combat moves in the game

Ataru style has always been "meh"
but for Legends we had

Hawk bat Swoop

(Force 1, Replaces attacks: This character can move 2 squares and make an attack at +10 damage against an adjacent enemy. If the attack hits this character can move one square without provoking attacks of opportunity.)

For djem so we had

Falling Avalanche (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make an attack, if it hits, push target back 1 square if medium or smaller.)

there are plenty of others that were made as well. Spryguy had some fun ones.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:32:22 PM

Hahaha... FlyingArrow, that's great.

"Mediocre Mobile Attack?" Can move both before and after attacking, but cannot move more than half its speed.

I saw someone made an ability called "Sentinel Sweep" where you do Lightsaber Sweep, and push damaged enemies back 1 space for each damage counter they took. That's basically Lightsaber Sweep + Force Repulse 2 on a piece with Unleashed, but it was cool...

Maybe an ability representing non-lightsaber attacks? Something like:
Kick: If two of this character's attacks damage the same adjacent enemy, push than enemy back 2 squares away from this character.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2018 1:09:56 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
"Mediocre Mobile Attack?" Can move both before and after attacking, but cannot move more than half its speed.

Actually that exists! Garm Bel Iblis' CE
jak
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2018 6:59:53 AM

one hundred fifty-nine great and not so great ideasThumbsUp

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/SpecialAbility/MyList Love
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2018 8:20:15 AM

jak wrote:
one hundred fifty-nine great and not so great ideasThumbsUp

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/SpecialAbility/MyList Love

I would really love to look at these... but the link takes me to my special abilities. I don't think there's a way to look at other's custom Special Abilities in list form.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Just search 'jak' and they'll come up.