RegisterDonateLogin

More protein than a Gimer Stick.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What rules have changed? Options
luke hates thrawn
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 10:52:53 PM
Groups: Member

What rules have changed since 2011? Thinking about getting back into the game and I'm hoping that after 7 years the rules haven't changed so much that the game is completely different from what I remember. I stopped collecting around V-set 4 or 5.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 11:37:13 PM

First off, welcome back. Second, I was a player before the V-sets and returned to the game in 2013. The rules forum should get you up to date on any rules changes (if any) that you need to know.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:18:33 AM

Welcome back! Well there have been a few sets since then so the biggest thing is the meta has changed a bit. OR is still Bastilla-ing everything but has some interesting army of light builds. Sith can actually field fewer high cost Sith and do well. Mandalorians have similar fewer is stronger squads thanks to Jango Mandalore, and also check out Death Watch! Separatists just got Battle Droids back as a thing, otherwise BX-Droids are the king, Huges still suck despite attempts otherwise. Republic is still the best faction for having everything but has a super interesting Obi/Anakin dual piece as well as Clone Strike Jedi can now be played, though Republic Commandos are best. Deathtrooper/Krennic or Daala/First Order builds have taken a piece of the Imperial pie from Thrawn. Rebel heroes have never been stronger, so original movie, Rogue One or Rebels TV show are at an all time high. New Republic is still basically what it was and super strong with emphasis on pilots. Vong are direct damage bosses. And all fringe has become a real powerhouse too with Talon.

Alright phew all caught up on the meta. So specific game rule changes are:
Gambit is worth 10 points and you need a 10 point or more character to collect. You can only trigger one reserves per round and can't stack. Pieces can't cost less than 3 even with rapport so gone are 2 point mouse walls. And that's about it haha
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:00:56 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yep - that's about it. There are, of course, plenty of new cards. But in terms of rules, the changes are pretty small:

* Instead of requiring a 5pt piece in gambit to earn 5 pts, you need to have a 10pt piece in gambit and you earn 10pts per round.
* Rapport cannot reduce a character's cost below 3. (Original rules said 1.)
* Mouse Droid gains Diminutive [This character does not provide cover or block movement]. (The only change to a WotC piece.)
* I don't remember the tournament rules when you left, but for standard 200pt tournaments, you earn 3pts for a full win (i.e. earning 200pts), 2pts for a partial win (i.e. beating the opponent but not getting 200pts), and 1pt for a loss where you earn at least 100pts. Then the players with the most points advance to the top 4/top 8/ or whatever.

There are also some errata for specific pieces or abilities, but most of the errata are for pieces later than Vset 5. I think these are the only ones that relate to pieces earlier than Vset 5:
* Captain Panaka of Theed grants Double instead of Twin.
* Poggle the Lesser costs 16
* The special ability Ysalamiri now says "This character and characters within 6 squares cannot spend Force points or be affected by Force powers" instead of "gain Force Immunity". (The major effect of this is that Jedi can use Lightsaber Defense against shooters in a Ysalamiri bubble.)

Everything else relates to pieces after Vset 5. Here is the complete list: http://swmgamers.com/PDF/Rules/Balance-Committee-Changes-2018.pdf
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:04:29 AM

Oh - and some of those are actually "floor rules" instead of "errata". The difference being that technically floor rules are only in effect for tournaments. Most of us here play tournament rules even when playing at home, but if you aren't playing tournaments, you can really just ignore the floor rules, in which case there are even fewer changes.
kezzamachineII
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 5:46:52 PM

How does the Force Ghost one work again?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:09:01 PM

kezzamachineII wrote:

They are nonliving.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:38:24 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
kezzamachineII wrote:

They are nonliving.

Characters with HP — are considered non-living. If you can't damage them, they aren't alive. Ghostbusters! (etc)