RegisterDonateLogin

Provides a +4 bonus to Attack rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

How design operates and the "system" Options
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:37:27 AM
Groups: Member

I guess some people are embarrassed by this discussion but I think it is an important one.

The way the design team and play test committee actually work right now is this.

Designers post there initial designs. They are hardly heard from again.
The designs are supposed to go through a "tweaking" process through the different designers before they are pushed to PT. This hardly happens. This process does not really exist. If there is an issue the lead designer will state it and then when there is no response will post a different look to the piece than cast a vote for PT.
When no one else votes for a week it is just pushed through to Play test.

What this means is two fold.
1 that designers don't care
2 that the designer that actually does care is doing almost all the work.

Play testers can bring up their problems, but since only 1 designer cares it has to get through to this person. If this designer has his own idea and is stubborn than it causes a lot of issues.

When I was there the way things were looking was atrocious. I mean we had power the likes of +set 6 going on. Guess what? it received votes to play test!! It was crazy!!! upon reflection (and squad building) the people who carelessly vted for PT recanted saying it was too strong...

I brought this up, I also brought up that it restricts squad building, it replaces someone else in a certain squad type and it creates powerful abilities that have not been in the faction for a long time. No one cared to think about what I was saying. At this point the piece has been changed hundreds of times before any play test has ever even been done.

So like usual I was right but people just did not want to admit it. I like to feel my "fuss" was worth it since we have seen the piece change ,multiple multiple times, but it took me getting super upset for people to think about the piece that they voted on to play test.

It was so dumb and I can't wait to hear the designers discuss the "thinkings" that when on for the piece, after it comes out.

But that piece is special and received some attention.

Anyway, most pieces are pushed through to play testing without the proper votes, just because the designers are apathetic and don't even get on gamers to look over the pieces. Which is really really bad considering play tests are very rare.
that 21 play test number is about 10 games I would bet. I played probably half of those before I quit. So play testing is a real issue. Especially since the designs aren't polished before they are voted on (unless someone throws a huge fit and burns a bridge).

So really it is a lose lose situation. The other vset team people get on occasionally there are two names that I have seen post some information that is helpful.

The Design process has dropped to 1 person designing and 2 people play testing, with very very few comments on pieces.

When I would post a play test report and say something the lead designer would say something to the design team and get no response.... So the lead designer just decides..... and it happens.

Which is not healthy. We need designers to have some accountability for being on the boards and being active and being open to saying no to other people. when 2 people are designing that are BFF's they can steam roll whatever they want. Which is a really bad idea as well. The vset team itself should set people that have opposing views on the design team together, maybe that will cause some conflict which will cause activity. but no way should bff's be on the same set. or pawns be on the same set either.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:41:23 AM

The main point is that we need a "renewal" of activity in our leaders and we need people to fight through conflict in the design and play test committee.
At the very least people need to try to build squads with proposed designs to see if they are too powerful before mindlessly voting on it just to recant a week later.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 11:37:11 AM

Oh yes, and as far as play tests go.
Design process also takes very little into account flavor. On the few pieces that are tweaked before play testing things are taken off or thrown on casually just to see if it looks like it fits.
No discussion about if it is thematic or what it portrays, just here is a damage boost.... for no reason other than it is more balanced if it is limited by something. Or here is a defensive ability and oh ya, he can give it to other people... even though he is not a trainer or even a commander... but it looks good and it is not overpowered is always the argument.

pretty much anything is allowed as long as it is not overpowered. which is silly. There are a few of those that I brought up that you all will see when the set drops. The ones that I "fight" about. the one designer that cares will post a wookieepedia quote that has nothing to do with the situation at hand and say things like "this is how we will tell people we came up with this for those "flavor police".

In essence those that care about flavor are mocked in almost every way during the design process. Something I found appalling tbh.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:29:57 PM

Hey Frenchy, do you think it is sad that this thread (by itself) has had more views than the "We need playtesters' thread?

I wonder what that means? I think it gives some "value" to the facts posted in this thread.

hahahahaha #ptneeded ... but we don't really want you to say anything, just follow the script.

Come help us ... but we don't really value you. that's silly. We are above you.

Help us not make another Unkarr ... but we will make worse things

Make sure things are flavorful ... except function is way more important and we change flavorful things whenever we want to fit a function.

#bringbackFlyingArrow

before you can pt for set 16 you must state the following:

I pledge allegiance to Frenchy's design and to the awesomeness of him. and to everything he stands for. I pledge to only follow the pt outline and not give philosophical statements on the design. I pledge to not push my view after I pt it as well. I will state my thoughts conservatively and if Frenchy does not feel the same way I will move on.