RegisterDonateLogin

Helps build strong bones and healthy initiative rolls.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

STAR WARS LEGION - Miniatures game Options
crazybirdman
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:08:43 AM
Groups: Member

crazybirdman
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 2:13:48 PM

blemelisk
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 2:27:35 PM

Very cool ! and being 32 mm minis means they are close enough for SWMinis, so you could theoretically use either minis for the game.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 3:07:53 PM

33 unpainted, unassembled minis, no maps all for $89.95? I'd rather sh!t in my hands and clap. I'll stick to the WotC version thanks
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 5:20:04 PM

If the scale is that close, it could be interesting; I agree with cardus, the starter set looks "boring" (although I'd love that Duros Rebel.) Its the expansion pack possibilities that could be interesting. Unique Jedi from the Clone Wars that don't have WOTC pieces like Oppo Ranciss? Yareal Poof? Mini's of races we Don't have? A Cerean not named Mundi, Selkath, Ongree, Umbaran's, Fosh, etc. Awesome possibilities!
Gizmotronx
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 5:57:31 PM

I'd like to see more but right now it looks like a joke... and a rip off
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 5:57:44 PM

Really love some of the design choices they've made with this game based on what I've seen so far, and the price is actually really good for high quality minis (like up to the standard of other wargames, far far nicer than SWM minis).

Need more info, but at first blush I like the look of it all.
ugavine
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2017 4:47:57 AM

I've not played Star Wars minis for some time now, preferring wargames like 40K and Bolt Action.

I'm enjoying modeling and painting so I'm very excited for this game. I have already pre-ordered my copy with my FLGS.
jak
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 4:08:01 AM

same scale as Imperial Assault.
we use our SWM for IA(then we don't have to paint,although I still do some times)
looks interesting
if someone else buys it, I'll playBigGrin
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:18:12 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

It's been a long time since I have come to these forums...

But my buddy and I are planning on getting into this game fairly seriously. Pre-ordered, trying to figure out how to paint etc.

We are based in the Washington, DC are, but are likely going to be playing a bunch out of Annapolis as we have been mixing with the X-Wing minis crowd out there. My buddy sold all of his SWM, i have mine still in deep storage, but I think this will be a nifty replacement for it.

The mechanics are completely different, and the hobby cost to invest seem to be higher with the painting, assembling of terrain, and high initial investment. But it will be interesting to see how this game develops competitively.

So if people are near us, and wanna play/paint, hit me up. Game comes out in late March, so I am getting excited.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:34:14 AM

One more day! I am so looking forward to this game!
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:57:01 AM

The mechanics seem interesting but my four biggest issues are:

-the unpainted/unassembled miniatures (WOTC wasn't always the greatest but still came out with some epic looking miniatures and far better than I could ever try to do with my free hand lack of painting skill haha)

-Galactic civil war era, Fantasy Flight has done it to death with all of their games except Destiny. I want to have vulture droids fighting alongside droidekas to wipe out Nom Anor and his Yuuzhan Vong, and for that SWM is the only game for me that can fulfill that. And as most new licenses will not publish the old "legends" content then I'm going to be sticking with SWM for the rest of my gaming life, and keep teaching new players this awesome game.

- I'm tired of the arms race powercreep of new games, WOTC had it during SWM production but one of he absolute best parts of the virtual sets and that it's not monetary-based is it's all about balancing the older pieces or giving new cards to unplayable miniatures. Rather then trying to force people to spend money to remain competitive with the latest and greatest.

-final point is the sheer options available with my current investment and how shelling out what would no doubt turn out to be thousands of dollars for another miniatures game that's limited timeline in scope doesn't really appeal to me.

But it does look cool and the templates, cards and rules sets could be fun for a variation game with SWM pieces. I mean we already use SWM characters for Campaigns, Clone Wars Risk, Rebellion and other games.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:35:27 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

- I'm tired of the arms race powercreep of new games, WOTC had it during SWM production but one of he absolute best parts of the virtual sets and that it's not monetary-based is it's all about balancing the older pieces or giving new cards to unplayable miniatures. Rather then trying to force people to spend money to remain competitive with the latest and greatest.

Lol, well they are a business out to make money. I don't believe that was the mission of the V set...
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:45:25 PM

I know and I get that but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate that about the vsets haha
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:49:47 PM

.... but if you Can paint, some of the Fantasy Flight pieces are Very fun looking. I Really like my painted Diala Passil and they've got some pieces that are different species in different poses/uni's.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 6:08:56 AM

These minis in particular should be easy to paint. Prime them up, paint the stormtroopers which and the rebs brown, and give them some detail. I mean they can't come out worse than some of those wotc swm pieces
Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:44:33 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
It's been a long time since I have come to these forums...

But my buddy and I are planning on getting into this game fairly seriously. Pre-ordered, trying to figure out how to paint etc.

We are based in the Washington, DC are, but are likely going to be playing a bunch out of Annapolis as we have been mixing with the X-Wing minis crowd out there. My buddy sold all of his SWM, i have mine still in deep storage, but I think this will be a nifty replacement for it.

The mechanics are completely different, and the hobby cost to invest seem to be higher with the painting, assembling of terrain, and high initial investment. But it will be interesting to see how this game develops competitively.

So if people are near us, and wanna play/paint, hit me up. Game comes out in late March, so I am getting excited.

It would be great to game with you again. I am interested in Legion only if I can use my SWM with the game, as I have no interest in painting bunches of figures. (A few to get the game materials) I was told this morning at an X Wing tournament that Legion figures are larger. I hope that is not the case. Hit me up at Nova if we don't see each other before that.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 4:42:39 PM

I will be jumping on the Legion band wagon. Thankfully I only ever spent like 300$ on SWM.

The maps in Legions are 1,000 times better than the maps on SWM. You actually create the maps for Legion. So every game can be different. LoS is not all the way across the map. And this game has Gambit kinda also... They call them objectives instead.

Unpainted and unassembled will be a hassle, but once the game comes out, people will be selling prepainted things. I did the math, for everything they have coming out so far, and to buy the starter set, and then buy on of each expansion, Plus Map objects, a dice rolling set, and a tool to measure distance, I think it comes out to about 450$. I think they just announced another new expansion, something with Han Solo, so that expansion is not included in this price
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:12:47 AM

It seems to me that Disney desperately wants to rob us, some more money. Ohh god I so miss the EU, before the Dark Times, before Disney!
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 7:40:55 AM

AlexTheGreat wrote:
It seems to me that Disney desperately wants to rob us, some more money. Ohh god I so miss the EU, before the Dark Times, before Disney!

Truth hahaha