RegisterDonateLogin

Only legal in the Outer Rim.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

What is the purpose of the v-sets? Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:15:05 PM
Groups: Member

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
People are seriously discussing rotating out characters? I, for one, don't like the idea. Balance would be a lot harder to achieve with counters like Bastila gone at times from the game- not to mention the fact that without certain characters, some factions will no longer have squads powerful enough to win tournaments. And people won't be able to play their favourite squads or builds they wanted to try out if the characters are currently being rotated out. I prefer the relative constancy of the current game, where people only get more characters to play with in each new V-set, never less. Rather than rotating characters out of the game to allow certain builds to be playable, boost the squads and make them more resistant to their counters, and then they can see the light of day.

Agreed, the main appeal of this game is that it's a huge sprawling game with masses of different builds. Changing that is going to disenfranchise more people than it appeals to.

I don't think any mass change at this point is going to help the game, unless it's accompanied by a massive push to attract new players. All a mass change is going to do it alienate some of the remaining group.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:39:02 PM

I agree with mass change being a bad thing.
I would never do anything without a huge campaign trying to determine if people want a change or not.

I think the vsets, overall, do I fine job as well.

Back to the discussion at hand.

I guess we are all in consensus that the vsets should try to be designed with fun and relative balance as key goals.

My 1st sub goal would be to ensure the main players translate to main players in the game.

If I was a designer and saw that there was not a competitive commander Yoda I would instantly go about changing that.
Or a competitive Nomi Sunrider I would instantly change that.
Same with sith lords
trappedslider
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 4:02:59 PM

to give EVERY SINGLE character stats! Flapper
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 5:01:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

trappedslider wrote:

A worthy goal!
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:32:31 AM

jen'ari wrote:
To each his own, but if your game style is lost due to a few pieces being inactive you should probably rethink the game.

Huh, that's. . . Ironic.

Never-the-less, I fully agree with this statement
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:25:46 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I think all the toxicity on the boards is a lot more of an issue than the gameplay itself. The v-sets have done a good job at retaining interest for more than 8 years in a dead game, I don't understand why they get so much flak.

This! Unfortunately, 100x this. Sad

I know that for me, personally, the toxicity on the forums has done more to distance me from the game than anything. I've spoken to other people who've said the same thing as they've left the game, never to come back; one of them was just a few months ago.

As for drawing new people into the game: seriously, how often do we expect that to happen? The game is YEARS out of print and there are plenty of similar competitors available in its place. Let's just recognize that it is extremely difficult to "catch up" to a game that has been out for more than a decade. Several years ago I tried to get into D&D Minis while it was still in production and there was still a solid gaming community and people playing on Vassal. And hey, it was very similar to SWM, so it should come easily, right? Nope. After just 2 games I realized that I was in way over my head, and that it would take a pile of effort just to get a sense of how the game actually played in competition. It's hard enough to jump into a game mid-stream (as I tried with DDM), but it's SO much harder to jump in when it's been around and even out of print for years. Let's just accept the (sad) reality that we're not going to get a lot of new players into the game. As much as we all wish otherwise, it's just not gonna happen.

Therefore I think we've gotta focus and redouble our efforts on creating/recreating a healthy and positive gaming community, where those of us who are in the game will be happy to stay and play.
kezzamachineII
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 12:58:31 AM

Last year I arrived at my new school and within a few months had 8 *new* fairly strong players, Gandalf included in that. Since then I've added another 10 or so periphery players. They all use my pieces (which now live at school) and my maps (ditto) and we've developed a system where the older students teach the newer ones. We've started our school champs with 10 players and I expect most of them will be at the Nationals when it returns on the 28th of July. We are using these tools to teach with - our own SWM101 Leveling System - Level One: https://www.dropbox.com/s/89f8yq6p5y6j3l5/SWM101.%20Level%201.pdf?dl=0 and Level Two: https://www.dropbox.com/s/14edi08y834uv01/SWM101.%20Level%202.pdf?dl=0 (I'm working on developing this further as a tool for teaching the game.)

I say this in response to the quite reasonable question of 'how often do we expect new people to be drawn into the game?' I want to encourage everyone to find the new gamers out there!

(Actually, I have been thinking about the availability of pieces. I am trialing this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0jr1wxplmjy24c/PaperCharacters.%20Rebel%20Storm.pdf?dl=0 - thoughts?)
Lord Starkiller
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 7:37:43 AM

Pardon me, I don't have a "pulse" on the SWM community but it was my understanding that the v-sets served as additional content for both new and experienced players that introduce new characters from the franchise that WOTC never got the chance to stat.

Plus stating new characters is fun. Flapper
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 9:19:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You got it!
Chargers
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:29:03 PM

trappedslider wrote:

Excellent. When shall I expect a Drawd Munbrin card?
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2018 3:01:15 AM

I think another reason for the V-sets is to ensure the balance of the factions. Something that I feel is not there right now, but getting close.

I think OR, Sith, Separatist, and Republic are behind at the moment.

Tiers of Factions

1. Rebels, Imperials

2. Mandos, New Republic, ?Vong?, Republic (bottom end)

3. ?Vong?, Old Republic

4. Sith, Separatists