RegisterDonateLogin

The ability to drink Bloo Milk does not make you intelligent.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Championship 2009: Dallas Regional Tournament Report Options
headache62
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 11:36:27 AM
Groups: Member

Dallas DCI Regional Tournament Report.

First off, thanks to the great staff at Comic Book Craze in Garland, TX for making the tournament fun and inviting. We had a great turnout and I hope everyone had a great time playing.

I’ll first list off everyone’s squad builds, then overall results, my personal analysis of what turned out, and finally a breakdown of the games I played to the best of my recollection. I hope other people post their game results after mine.

~~~~~~~~Squads~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Disclaimer – everyone got nervous when I said that I was writing down their squads, but then I told them it was for a report and everyone was ok .

*Disclaimer 2 – If I got something wrong, please PM me and I’ll be sure to fix it

Troy: Yoda of Dagobah, Vader’s Apprentice Redeemed, Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed, Lobot CLO, Rieekan, Uggie, Mouse Droid (MD) x2 (Good ole’ Rebel Push)

Byron: Boba Fett BH, Rieekan, Lobot CLO, Bothan Noble x3, Bespin Guard, Uggie (Machine Gun Boba – he got three Disintegrations in a row in the last game)

Johnny: Lord Vader, Mi’Thrawn, Kel Dor BH x2, Gran Raider x2, Uggie x2, MD x2 (Lord Vader B&B sans Mas)

Bill: Luke’s Landspeeder, Dash Renegade Smuggler, Han Solo Smuggler, Bothan Noble, Gen Dodonna, R2 w/ Extended Sensor, Uggie x2, MDx2 (Nice, well rounded Rebel Landspeeder squad)

Jonathan: Mandalorian Scouts x3, Mandalorian Captain, Mandalorian Gunslinger, Bossk, Lobot CLO (Mando Scout Squad w/ Bossk in tow)

Austin: GOWK, Boba Fett Enforcer, Lando Calrissian Dashing Scoundrel, Dash Rendar RS, MD (GOWK Shooter Squad)

James: Emperor Palpatine on Throne, Twilik Black Sun Vigo x3, Bith Black Sun Vigo, Whipid Tracker x2, Czerka Scientist (Interesting Opportunist Squad)

Jeremy: Mi’Thrawn, Genoharadan Assassin x2, Czerka Scientist, Mas, Dash Rendar RS, Jagged Fel, Death Star Gunner, Uggie x2 (Thrawn Opportunist shooter squad)

Dave: Rebel Vanguard x3, Rieekan, Princess Leia, Boba Fett BH, Human Body Guard, R2 w/ Extended Sensor (an interesting Rebel Missile/BFBH squad)

Frank: Boba Fett BH, Count Dooku of Serenno, San Hill, Uggie x 5 (A “Broken Piece” squad, according to Frank

Timothy: Yoda CS, Boba Fett BH, R2 Astromech, Sev, Mas

Wedge, Todd, and Wade (all identical squads): GOWK, Yoda on Kybuck, Mas, Panaka, R2 Astromech, Gran Raider (GOWK YoBuck Swap Squad)

Mike (Me): Mara Jade Jedi, Kyp Durron, General Wedge Antilles, Lobot CLO, Luke Force Spirit, Gen Dodonna, Wicket, Caamasi Noble, MD, Uggie x2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Results~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some great matches, here are the final standings:
1st Place: Wedge (GOWK YoBuck)
2nd Place: James (Palpatine on Throne TBSVs)
3rd Place: William (Bill) (Luke’s Landspeeder Rebel Squad)
4th Place: Wade (GOWK YoBuck)
5th Place: Troy (Rebel Push)

It’s notable that all of these guys (if my info is correct) were 3-1 until the finals. Troy just barely missed out on playing in the final two matches.

The rest of the field:

6th: Todd (GOWK YoBuck)
7th: Byron (BFBH Machine Gun Rebels)
8th: Frank (Seps “Broken” BFBH)
9th: Johnny (Opportunist Lord Vader B&B)
10th: Mike (NR Mara Jade Jedi/Kyp squad)
11th: Jonathan (Mando Scout Squad)
12th: Austin (GOWK Shooters)
13th: Timothy (Yoda CS BFBH)
14th: Jeremy (Mi’Thrawn Genos)
15th: David (Rebel Missiles w/ BFBH)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~My Analysis~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was interesting that there were only four GOWK squads, but almost everyone I spoke with indicated in one way or another that they were considering GOWK in their squad build (I almost played GOWK myself, but I don’t have an R2 Astromech but if anyone has one for trade, I’ll give a lot...).

I was happy to see the diversity of squads that showed up – I was expecting at least half of the squads to have GOWK, and after talking with Josh (I hope I got your name right – if not I’m sorry and I’ll fix it!) at Comic Book Craze he said that GOWK has been showing up a lot at his weekly tournaments. He didn’t seem to indicate that they were dominating, but GOWK shows up a lot.

I’m also glad that some of the more diverse (in my opinion) squad builds had a very strong showing – it really indicates the strength of the player and squad that made it.

Honestly, I was so surprised by what I saw that I’m still processing it all. I’m glad that everyone had a good time, but I’m still trying to determine what this means for the DCI tourny scene.
joelker41
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:55:10 AM

I was wondering what the Throned Vigos squad faced, I think I see it lost to GOWK but I was wondering what the overall diversity it faced is.

It is a really interesting squad, no Thrawn/Mas makes for much more offense for sure.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:22:19 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Do you know which squad picked which maps?
Robin
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 6:21:27 AM

ahhh what happened to the mando's lol you should of ran a fett, Mc, mando captain, mando scoutx3, and two mouse and uggies. you would of done way better with that squad.