RegisterDonateLogin

Boring conversation anyway.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Advantageous Attack and Grenade Options
Jakster
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 12:28:12 PM
Groups: Member

Yesterday we had a game going where a Wookiee Soldier lobbed a grenade into a cluster of my Imperials. He was also within 6 squares of Han Solo, Rebel Hero and my troops hadn't activated that round.
My friend said, I would take 30 damage on a failed save, I said that I'm pretty sure Advantageous Attack doesn't work on Grenade, because it's not an attack by the definition of the rules and AA does only apply to attacks

So we looked for a more detailed definition of the card text for AA here, the glossary only states:

"This character gets a +10 bonus to Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round."

It doesn't specify that AA is limited to attacks, so we ruled the bonus damage does apply here.

I was still pretty sure this was wrong, so I searched the SWM final FAQ for a definite answer for future games.

The only thing I found regarding the topic, gives no definite answer either:

Q: Do special abilities that apply to "attacks" or when "attacking" also apply when using an ability
that replaces attacks?
A: No. Any ability that specifically applies to attacks affects only actual attacks, not abilities that
replace attacks. Note that some abilities that replace attacks generate further attacks, like Lightsaber
Assault, and special abilities applicable to attacks would still affect these attacks even though they
were generated by an ability that replaces attacks.

It all boils down to the question, does Advantageous Attack only apply to attacks, which I could nowhere find to be specifically stated, or does it simply apply to all damage, like the card says?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 12:52:56 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yes, Advantageous Attack only gives bonus damage to attacks, and not to Grenades. If you look at the Glossary Text of AA (and the card text), you see that "Damage" has a capital D (and links to a Glossary term). This is significant because "Damage" and "damage" are two different things in the game.

Damage

(character statistic) A character deals its Damage rating on a successful attack (a hit).

damage

Characters take damage when they are hit by attacks or subject to certain special abilities or Force powers. Damage reduces the Hit Points of the affected character. A character whose Hit Points drop to 0 or lower is defeated and removed from the battle map.

So AA gives a bonus to Damage (the statistic used to determine damage when an attack hits). Damage only has relevance when you are attacking- it has no effect when you are causing damage with abilities like Grenades 20.
Jakster
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 1:03:47 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the quick reply! ThumpUp

I actually checked the link to Damage, but didn't notice the difference of the 2 terms.