RegisterDonateLogin

Is as precise as Imperial Stormtroopers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Week 117, Make a Simpler Vong Playstyle Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:47:12 AM
Groups: Member

Many of you know I'm a fan of the Yuuzhan Vong, but one of their negatives had always been plenty of abilities, often a necessity by their usual staple melee/Force immunity that needs to be on every card, and the often-seen VCA/Bug abilities that are added as well. Some pieces even grant multiple effects which can compound complexity, but that's something that is true for all factions (Rebels anyone! Sheesh haha)

But as the game progresses it's inevitable that cheaper more complex pieces will keep adding to the options and text to read. So my challenge this week is to design a Power 10-11 must have Yuuzhan Vong character that can only be in a squad or only really works with a limited complexity Vong squad character selection. Some examples are forced squad-building requirements like the Father has, rival like Zenoc Quah has for non-Vong/Outsiders or the Independent Special Ability (this character may only be in a squad with one other Yuuzhan Vong commander) or something new like a prideful that only works if every other character is the same. The end goal is to make a new Vong power piece that forces them into a simpler yet powerful and thematic play style, open to interpretations and looking forward to seeing what your creativity can create!

1. The character must be canon (Legends OK) and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, August 11th, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, Auguest 13th, 2018.

At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.

Good luck, have fun!
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:27:32 AM

spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:51:23 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33259/wyrpuuk-cha

Simple enough to play. Nothing complicated.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:39:19 AM

Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:14:25 AM

EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:30:31 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33260/vonduun-crab-armorsmith

While not a top-tier piece by himself, he does streamline the Vong quite a bit. I feel one of the biggest NPE parts of the Vong faction is the sheer amount of additional dice rolls caused by them from things like Crab Armor and all the various bugs. So, this guy turns most Crab Armors into basic Damage Reduction, making fights with and against Vong more consistent and with less dice rolls. The tradeoff of course, is that it makes them weaker to Lightsabers (and Penetration/Demolish), but they've still got plenty of other tech for that.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 1:19:00 PM

While I am not participating this week, I will submit Deaths Baines piece as my 1st place vote, followed by whoever else wreaks havoc.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:33:22 PM

shmi15 wrote:
While I am not participating this week, I will submit Deaths Baines piece as my 1st place vote, followed by whoever else wreaks havoc.

That's too bad Shmi I was hoping you in particular would participate given the opportunity to rewrite your nemesis.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:34:48 AM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33262/tactical-villip

part of my hatred for the Vong is the stupidly designed Yommosk.ThumbDown
no piece before, or since, has extended the range of Special Abilities.Cursing

A Villip is the best thematic choice to replace a piece that's just to much power for the cost.
also the fact the Vong Squads can contain Droids, boggles the mind of anyone familiar with these invaders.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:50:55 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:

The Torgorian BSV extends the range of Grenades for Black Sun commanders by handing out Grenade Launcher.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:55:13 PM

jak wrote:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33262/tactical-villip

part of my hatred for the Vong is the stupidly designed Yommosk.ThumbDown
no piece before, or since, has extended the range of Special Abilities.Cursing .
It was the best way to help poorly designed WotC Vong.
Big bad Warmaster Lah - 63 points, 200 HP, 3 attacks and 10 damage per attack, just stupid.
jak
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:06:00 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
jak wrote:

The Torgorian BSV extends the range of Grenades for Black Sun commanders by handing out Grenade Launcher.

Sneaky that's only 1 SA, Gandy, not every single f---ing SA that the "bundle of sticks" Vong have.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:19:40 AM

juice man wrote:

Big bad Warmaster Lah - 63 points, 200 HP, 3 attacks and 10 damage per attack, just stupid.

He was solid enough when he came out. Remember that he's from an era where few characters could do more than 40 damage a turn.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:47:48 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
juice man wrote:

He was solid enough when he came out. Remember that he's from an era where few characters could do more than 40 damage a turn.
Yeah, put him up against an Acklay or Vader Jedi Hunter, all three came out in the same set, and see how well he does. One set later Maul has Quad attack and Sith Rage.Confused Cursing
juice man
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 7:47:20 AM

General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 3:50:54 PM

Spry, I really like your character as a new Vong piece and appreciate that it is a simpler piece but not sure if it streamline's the faction much. Also no force immunity intentional? All that aside I think you have the best Vong piece in general but I don't see it simplifying too much brother.

Caedus, similar to Spry you made another solid Vong piece but not sure if it simplifies the Vong squads other than make Peace Brigade Builds better. Which in itself I suppose does help make more streamlined squads. The close range assassin boost is cool though.

Emperor, now this is what I'm talking about, a bit controversial going after VCA as it's one of their staples but it's a fair trade off most of the time to get consistent reduction over the save roll, well except for VCA 2, I would for sure keep that over DR. But overall great job simplifying some aspects.

Jak, same comments as on the piece, it's overall an interesting Yammosk alternative but may not be enough to guarantee play outside of specific reserves. And also could have combined rivals for simplicity.

*Edit* Juice I missed your piece entirely as it was below all the comments, after reviewing I think it's a phenomenal job of replacing the shaper, and a simple way to do it.

3rd Juice
2nd Caedus
1st Emperor

shmi15
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:22:59 PM

1. Deaths Baines

2. Jak

3. Spry
juice man
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:31:43 PM

1 Emperor Dragon
2 Spryguy
3 GG
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 5:53:52 PM

3) Caedus
2) Juice Man
1) Spryguy
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:23:56 AM

Well currently a tie between Emperor and Spry, and since spry didn't vote and Emperor has two first place votes it goes to Emperor, congrats brother! You have the honor of posting up the next challenge.