RegisterDonateLogin

Has taught you well.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal maps Options
Cordova
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:47:08 PM
Groups: Member

Hi, ok, so I have Vassal, the JA mod all downloaded and fine, but I cannot for the life of me get the extension maps to work. I know there's something about file naming etc, but I literally have no idea what I'm doing, even if I use the little guide on the site.
Can anyone help me? Do I need to have it saved in certain places?
If it needs the actual Vassal program saved in acertain way, then I will change all that, your help would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks
markedman247
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 1:00:04 AM

Off the top of my head, you need the maps in a seperate folder (SW_Minis) within the same file that the SW_Minis mod is located.

So, within the file that the minis mod is in (ex. Vassal), you would have a subfolder (ex. SW Minis) where the map files (ex. Swmmaps11.mdx) are located.

I don't have access to the program currently but I am certain that Nickname on WotC has the HOW TO link in his signature. I believe there is also some resources on SWMGamers within the Vassal section of the discussion board.

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 1:43:30 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

markedman247 wrote:
Off the top of my head, you need the maps in a seperate folder (SW_Minis) within the same file that the SW_Minis mod is located.

So, within the file that the minis mod is in (ex. Vassal), you would have a subfolder (ex. SW Minis) where the map files (ex. Swmmaps11.mdx) are located.

I don't have access to the program currently but I am certain that Nickname on WotC has the HOW TO link in his signature. I believe there is also some resources on SWMGamers within the Vassal section of the discussion board.

Yes, this is pretty much correct. There must be a sub folder present that is named the same as the .mod file, so if the mod file is named SWMinis.mod, then the maps folder should be named SWMinis . All the .mdx map files go in that folder.

I just extracted all the map files individually into ONE folder, copied it into the VASSAL folder, then renamed it to match the MOD.

Now, I just need to find time to learn how it works, so I can play Razz
Gunn
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 3:39:47 AM

You can't edit the extensions can you? Like if I wanted to remove a map, or rename it?
markedman247
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 4:36:14 AM

There might be a way as in creating the files themselves but, with just basic knowledge of the program, you cannot. Each MDX file (aka map file) contains some of the maps. Some MDX files handle 2-4 maps apiece. So, outside of opening up the MDX file and removing what you need from the file itself via the program that created them or can open them by themselves, removing individual maps wouldn't very simple.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 5:49:41 AM

i also have Vassal, but cant figure the darn thing out.
i know how to put my pieces on the board, i know how to pick my maps, but i just cant get to gaming....
Cordova
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:22:07 AM

Ok. Sorted it out. Thanks a lot guys :)

And Mandalore, if I ever see you on (I am GMT) I'll try to help :)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:41:47 AM

Cordova wrote:
Ok. Sorted it out. Thanks a lot guys :)

And Mandalore, if I ever see you on (I am GMT) I'll try to help :)

awesome dude, thanx!ThumpUp