RegisterDonateLogin

Will train this boy.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Someone PLEASE help! Options
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 10:47:35 AM
Groups: Member

Wow last night was a disaster. We had a small get together for a few matches and the night turned into an unpleasant experience all because of the Special Ability "Bombad Gungan".

Every time we get together, I always carry with me a copy of the rulebook and a set of my FAQ sheets. Unfortunately, neither helped a whole lot last night. I don't know if I'm just dense but after thorough reading, I couldn't find answers to resolve the issues we came across while we were playing.

I was using NR Han and my opponent had a Republic squad that had Jar Jar, a Gungan Shieldbearer and a couple other Gungans. My Han took a shot at Jar Jar (who was well more than 6 squares away). Jar Jar successfully rolled higher than an 11 which allowed him to redirect my shot to a Shieldbearer. My Han didn't have line of sight to the Shieldbearer. This raised a few questions.

1. Since my Han didn't have line of sight to the Shieldbearer, my opponent had the opinion that I wasn't allowed to make an attack at all. From what I read, I had a different opinion. I was under the impression that the only way my attack could be completely negated was if Jar Jar had no one within 6 squares to redirect my attack to. Who is correct here, my opponent or me?

2. Since my attack was redirected to his Shieldbearer, whose defense was I supposed to match? The defense on Jar Jar's stat card or the Shieldbearer's stat card? Neither of us was certain but either way, I rolled a high enough number to make a successful hit no matter which of the two defenses I needed to match.

3. After I made a successful hit, it was now time for me to attempt a save of 11 or better to avoid the shot being bounced back at Han. I think I rolled a 15. So that saved Han from taking damage. My opponent had the belief that his Shieldbearer still takes no damage, even after my successful roll. He interpreted the language on the stat card that my save only prevents Han from taking damage. My understanding was that my save negates the entire effect, which would include his Shieldbearer avoiding the damage being taken. My understanding was that my roll save meant his shield failed and therefore the Shieldbearer takes damage. Again, who's right on this one, him or me?

4. Now these next few questions involve issues that we did NOT come across (thank God) but still makes me curious for future's sake in case we ever do come across them. Let's pretend Han did not make a successful save with the Shieldbearer and the shot was bounced back at Han. Since Han has Evade, would he be allowed to attempt a roll and use his Evade to avoid damage? Or if the shot was bounced back at Han and Han had an adjacent bodyguard, would he be allowed to make the bodyguard take the damage instead?

5. Let's pretend I had a different shooter who had Jolt. If my shot was successful but bounced back at me, would the Shieldbearer still be considered activated?

6. This is a very off the wall question but I'll ask anyway. We all know that when playing in tournaments, it's possible for 2 opponents to have the same character in their squads, thus running into the possibility of having a Luke facing another Luke or a Maul facing another Maul. If 2 opponents are both using Jar Jar in their squads and they both happen to be in a melee combat, would they both be allowed to keep using Bombad Gungan against each other repeatedly?

I really hope to get some responses and feedback to this post. Thanks for reading!
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:42:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

1. Yes, you can and have to attack the Shieldbearer if your opponent chooses him. The character that the attack is redirected to does not need to be a legal target, which is why the attacker can end up attacking themselves or an ally, which is usually not possible, or a non-adjacent enemy even if the attacker has Melee Attack.

2. The Shieldbearer's defense.

3. You were correct. If you make the save for Energy Shield, the Shieldbearer takes the damage.

4. Han cannot use Evade or be Bodyguarded in this situation. Both Evade and Bodyguard only respond to attacks and damage from attacks, but the damage in this case was generated by a special ability (Energy Shield). Energy Shield doesn't redirect the attack to the attacker; it instead generates damage equal to that of the attack, which the attacker then takes.

5. Assuming the Shieldbearer fails the save for Jolt, yes. Even if a character avoids all damage from an attack, they still count as being hit by an attack (sometimes a little counterintuitive- you wouldn't think the attack "hit" them if they evaded or reflected it).

6. As far as I know, yes, they could. See FlyingArrow's post.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:25:00 PM

6. They can keep using it against each other (i.e. every turn). But can you Bombad Gungan a Bombad Gungan? I'm not sure. Bombad Gungan can only be used when JarJar is targeted. When selecting the character to redirect to, is the new character considered targeted? Bombad Gungan doesn't follow the targeting rules and specifically says the chosen character doesn't have to be a legal target, so I'd say no if I had to rule this at a tournament, but I'm actually not sure.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:36:19 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
6. They can keep using it against each other (i.e. every turn). But can you Bombad Gungan a Bombad Gungan? I'm not sure. Bombad Gungan can only be used when JarJar is targeted. When selecting the character to redirect to, is the new character considered targeted? Bombad Gungan doesn't follow the targeting rules and specifically says the chosen character doesn't have to be a legal target, so I'd say no if I had to rule this at a tournament, but I'm actually not sure.

I didn't think about that. You're right, the attack redirected by Bombad Gungan becomes a non-targeted attack, so the other Jar Jar can't use Bombad Gungan.

FAQ wrote:
Q: What exactly does it mean when the attack or ability is "redirected". Does the other character become the target?
A: No. It becomes a nonā€targeted attack on the selected character, so something like Draw Fire would no longer be possible after redirecting for example.
Maul-Ordo
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:06:47 PM
Groups: Member

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been on BM since the day I posted these questions but just wanted to say thank you to the both of you for your help.