RegisterDonateLogin

Soothes you when your Rancor gets crushed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Missed Opportunity Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 8:52:37 PM
Groups: Member

As I'm putting together the plans for our annual War in the North regional and going through Vset 18, I just have to say, and I find it hilarious but, the set names were major missed opportunities:

The High Ground: No Obi-Wan at all?? (Should have been Obi-Wan, The Beowulf of Jedi)

And

Mandalorians and Bounty Hunters: Missing THE Mandalorian Bounty Hunter that is a much-loved household name

Anyways slinking off to plan but still hahaha
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 10:24:12 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I agree with the Obi-Wan thing, especially since they even made a new ability called The High Ground to represent the scene from the movie, and then put it on 2 characters that it doesn't even fit. The only thing is that there are already a lot of Obi-Wans. I'm sure if we ever get another Epic set there'll be an Obi-Wan On High Ground, but I don't know if future Vset designers will want to work it into a new Obi-Wan for competitive play.

The set list of set 18 was decided before we knew anything about The Mandalorian, and I think 18 was released before the series started streaming. But you can be sure we'll get characters from The Mandalorian in upcoming sets.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 11:15:46 PM

A theme of the set is terrain effecting the game and it's supposed to be a fun reference to that. The High Ground has become a popular phrase in Star Wars lexicon. Similarly to, "I have a bad feeling about this." It's being used everywhere, even without Obi-Wan. Comics, Novels, Rebels, Jedi Fallen Order, The Mandalorian.

Anyways, it's not like we don't have several Obi-wan and Boba Fett characters already. So I'd rather foucus on others. And technically, Boba Fett isn't a Mandalorian according to George Lucas or new canon. While I disagree with that, I don't think Boba Fett has to be included in every min-set with Bounty Hunters in its title.

Hope you enjoy playing 18, and best of luck in your tournament.

-DD
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 11:48:27 PM

Yeah, our sets are planned and playtested over a year in advance. 18 was way before The Mandalorian.

We have characters with NTMTO who never said those words in a movie. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have it. Creating new characters with The High Ground was an opening for us to designig a new Obi-Wan with it.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:25:34 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
We have characters with NTMTO who never said those words in a movie. It doesn't mean they shouldn't have it. Creating new characters with The High Ground was an opening for us to designig a new Obi-Wan with it.

Sure, it's just a minor nitpick. I guess I would say that designers usually have a thematic reason when they include an ability like NTMTO even if the character never said it, and if they don't have a reason for it I have the same nitpick with their design. Don't really remember enough about the NTMTO characters to know if it's justified, but I can tell you that terrain combat wasn't a feature of Stryfe's character in the comics I read. Others could interpret these things differently, obviously, or just have a different style of designing where it's more important to make a fun character rather than a really nitpicky thematic character.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 8:51:41 AM

Thematic abstraction in design always involves some level of subjectivity. "Lightsaber Assault" may not perfectly describe a character's attack. Do you create a new ability or just use Lightsaber Assault? If Lightsaber Assault is the perfect SA for a design, do you not use it because we never saw the character do it? I mean they're a force user with a lightsaber, why couldn't that happen.

In many images Stryfe's enemy is attacking him from above in a leaping assault. That's largely due to the comic style. However, it always reminded me of Anakin attempting to assault Obi-Wan.

During the battle on Had Abbadon Stryfe is fighting on this platform in a cliff-top region. While standing on the platform he takes out Muur's Rakghouls. It felt like in that moment he had the High Ground. At least until Skywalker pushes into a pile of grenades.

“Morne commanded her army of Sithspawn – Rakghouls to attack Krayt. . . Darth Stryfe dispatched the rakghouls surrounding Krayt. . .The resulting explosion engulfed Stryfe, and threw him off the platform. . . scattered the remaining combatants around the platform. Muur then hurled Krayt's defeated body over a nearby cliff to his apparent death.” - Wookieepedia.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:22:51 AM

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say people can interpret these differently. To me, if anything, Stryfe has the low ground or level ground in all those situations and they don't show a fighting style based on terrain.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 11:47:07 AM

The Jedi set a trap in a canyon to abush the Sith and were clearly shown fighting on cliffs but it had nothing to do with terrain. He just fell off the low ground. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. :p