RegisterDonateLogin

Runs strong in my family...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

20pt Squadbuilding Challenge Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 3:44:25 PM
Groups: Member

Random squadbuilding challenge.

Assume regular floors rules, except squads are 20 points instead of 200.

Everything else functions as per usual. You can bring a single 20-point piece if you want, just be aware you run the risk of being unable to get to gambit if you can't get through doors on your own.

With or without v-sets, or both. Just want to hear your ideas. I've got a few of my own, but I'll wait a bit.

What would the game be like? Discuss.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 4:24:37 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I think I'd run a BX Commando Droid Sniper (15), an Uggie and Kneesaa. Uggie blows doors, Kneesaa gets gambit, and the Sniper is a relatively self-sufficient shooter who won't have to waste a shot on fodder.
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 5:51:05 PM

I'd probably go klat assassin + uggy. Maybe queen amidala + Spartii. I think mobile attack would cause a lot of trouble with so few acts.

I was tempted to go ithorian + uggiie + 2x rodian brutes. But I don't think they'd survive. I think shooters would have a significant advantage with such limited Commander effects available.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:15:49 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
I think I'd run a BX Commando Droid Sniper (15), an Uggie and Kneesaa. Uggie blows doors, Kneesaa gets gambit, and the Sniper is a relatively self-sufficient shooter who won't have to waste a shot on fodder.

This seems like the best option. And I think not a lot even gets into the conversation with this as the gatekeeper. A few that do...

Cloaked has a chance, so Klat Assassin and Dianoga are worth a look.

2 Ugnaught Droid Destroyers, Kneesaa, PBT. Ion Guns, Jolt, +8 atk. Not the best option overall. They also have to deal with the BX Stealth.

Elite Rebel Commando also has an Ion Gun and Override.

Ortugg can one-shot the BX if he can get adjacent and actually make the 50/50 shot standing still.

Kintan Strider can Charge and survive 2 rounds to kill the next round... but again with the low attack and this time needing 2 hits.

TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:22:23 PM

I don't think there'll be that much over-ride, except hybrid attackers like ERC. One man army like a Miralan Jedi Knight or Blizz might be viable.

Peace Brigade Soldier + Ugnaught would be a good combo too.

Jar Jar could be fun...
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:59:32 PM

HA! Jar Jar would be hilarious.

I think the Sith Alchemist would be another gatekeeper. He's got Kneesaa to open doors, and if he gets his hands on an Ugnaught you're done. (If it were an official event, it'd almost be worth banning him for the sake of variety).

Rakghoul would be harder to pull off but just as terrifying.

Again, for a "real" event this would probably be best left on the sidelines, but the cheap Reserves pieces might have an opportunity here. CLobot, Viceroy Gunray and Ozzel + Probe Droid all have a 10% of reserves if they can see the enemy... eh, nevermind. Reserves are just as swingy in a 20 pt game.

EDIT: Ooooh, at 10 points, the Covenant sentinels are perfect for this. They're beefy for the cost - 40 HP/15 Def - they have Stealth, so it'd be harder for mobile shooters to pick them off, they have a respectable attack of +8, Door control, and a tad bit of melee defense to top it off.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 8:03:59 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
HA! Jar Jar would be hilarious.

I think the Sith Alchemist would be another gatekeeper. He's got Kneesaa to open doors, and if he gets his hands on an Ugnaught you're done. (If it were an official event, it'd almost be worth banning him for the sake of variety).

Rakghoul would be harder to pull off but just as terrifying.

Again, for a "real" event this would probably be best left on the sidelines, but the cheap Reserves pieces might have an opportunity here. CLobot, Viceroy Gunray and Ozzel + Probe Droid all have a 10% of reserves if they can see the enemy... eh, nevermind. Reserves are just as swingy in a 20 pt game.

If you were playing kill-em-all, one Reserves roll would likely win the game (double the size of your squad!). But playing to 20 points, you're probably going to lose before your Reserves get into the game.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 11:16:25 PM

What about Han Solo in Carbonite with 3 Rodian Brutes? You get Han Solo, Gambler for 11. Your opponent has to get to gambit or else they lose, so they can't just guard frozen Han. That should give at least one Rodian space to pick up Han, and then you've got a 21 point shooter in a 20 point game.
harryg
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 11:51:48 PM

I think a Vong Hunter on Quednak would be good. Cloaked and Force Immunity plus Speed 10 Galloping Attack, and he has the Plasma Eel to offer a different ranged option/to deal with clusters of grunts. Either that or a Clone Trooper with Flamethrower paired with R2, Astromech.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 2:57:36 PM

Darth O wrote:
What about Han Solo in Carbonite with 3 Rodian Brutes? You get Han Solo, Gambler for 11. Your opponent has to get to gambit or else they lose, so they can't just guard frozen Han. That should give at least one Rodian space to pick up Han, and then you've got a 21 point shooter in a 20 point game.

I think all 3 Rodians would get killed on the way, unfortunately.