RegisterDonateLogin

It is possible this site is not entirely stable.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Was Darth Revan ever a good piece? Options
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 7:58:00 PM
Groups: Member

I was browsing through the SWM Reddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsminiatures/

I just read:

Quote:
It's sad to see high point cost figures like Revan and Bane that used to be worth the points, but can now be killed/less useful than much cheaper solutions.

For people who were playing at the time, is this true? Was he ever a good piece to build around? Coming in at the end of WOTC he's always looked severely overpriced to me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:06:44 PM

In short, no.

I won a sealed when I pulled him, he was pretty killer there. Otherwise no.

Bane wasn't even that great imo outside of 100pts at the time (Bane + 6 uggies was a thing)
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 9:04:09 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Revan has always been too expensive. Most of the wotc sith lords were. I think Timmers example of 100pt bane is the only example of sith breaking through the meta.

I seem to remember Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith being ok... But I don't recall him having the support to carry the faction.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 9:50:41 PM

That's totally true.

After TFU released in 2007 there were only 6 Unique Sith characters (only 14 Sith total) in the game.
We hadn't been playing 150 for long and most areas were still playing DCI 100pt constructed.
So at the time, Darth Revan only cost about half to a third your total build points.

Which was perfect, because he had no support pieces or anything good to synergize within competitive play.
Meanwhile, Imperials were only getting measly pieces like TFU Admiral Ozzel. Pffft.
Also, Boba Fett, BH squads were rampant that year and ended up winning GenCon 2007.

However, it's important to note that no one ran a Darth Revan squad in the 2007 Champs. Makes you think huh?
Sure, players at the time thought 84pt CotF Exar Kun was playable but not Tier 1.
But I've always said . . . "put your bawls in a basket and see if they get disintegrated."
Do that, and you've earned my respect.

wannabe mexican
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 11:58:39 PM

Are any of his V-Set variations playable?
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 2:08:19 AM

Old Republic
Revan, Supreme Commander 38
Designed by 2017 GenCon winner DarthFrenchy. This character makes for Tier 1 squads sans Bastila, JM.
He's a little tricky to build and play but in the right hands, he's a fierce competitor.

The Revanchist 42

This character is from v-Set 1. He makes for Tier 2 /fun squads and never really impacted the competitive game.
His cost is more like a WotC piece. But watch out for his Force Push 4 . . . or you might get shoved down a pit.

Sith
Darth Revan, Sith Lord 62
This character is from v-Set 1. Arguably the first truly Tier 1 Sith character. Featured in many squads over the years and won multiple regionals. Made the top table in the past but not recently. He's a good character but a little dated being around 9 years old. I think he's the only character who can swap with himself. Not too bad.

Fringe
Revan, Returned 100
This character is only a few years old. A player named Narrkon took him to finals in the Ohio Regional this year.
He's a powerful character but can have several bad matchups (Vong) depending on the current meta.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 4:50:17 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Old Republic
Revan, Supreme Commander 38
Designed by 2017 GenCon winner DarthFrenchy. This character makes for Tier 1 squads sans Bastila, JM.
He's a little tricky to build and play but in the right hands, he's a fierce competitor.

The Revanchist 42

This character is from v-Set 1. He makes for Tier 2 /fun squads and never really impacted the competitive game.
His cost is more like a WotC piece. But watch out for his Force Push 4 . . . or you might get shoved down a pit.

Sith
Darth Revan, Sith Lord 62
This character is from v-Set 1. Arguably the first truly Tier 1 Sith character. Featured in many squads over the years and won multiple regionals. Made the top table in the past but not recently. He's a good character but a little dated being around 9 years old. I think he's the only character who can swap with himself. Not too bad.

Fringe
Revan, Returned 100
This character is only a few years old. A player named Narrkon took him to finals in the Ohio Regional this year.
He's a powerful character but can have several bad matchups (Vong) depending on the current meta.

Thanks for this comprehensive answer. I can't remember how I got my Revan miniature but do feel it is a shame I have never, ever used him.

I remember the Revanchist! One of my first ever custom figures from back in the day! This is taking me down memory lane!