RegisterDonateLogin

Sorry about the mess.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Data from the Squadbuilding Depth Tournament Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 9:44:51 AM
Groups: Member

I will be tabulating and posting various bits of data for everyone to dissect if they choose.

A big disclaimer to start - all data from this event need be taken with a large grain of salt, since by its nature it is unique. Having to bring 4 squads from 4 factions with no repeat unique characters innately encourages (or at least allows) for a great variety in squads, letting players feel free to play a squad that may be a bit more extreme, that they might not want to be saddled with for a whole tournament.

We will try and keep track of number of rounds, number of rounds of gambit for each player, whether each gambit scored was by both players at once or only 1, and if 1st round gambit was scored.

We will try and do all this while keeping the tournament moving along efficiently and not getting bogged down with it all (first goal is still to have fun). So data may not be 100% complete.

The one variance in tournament scoring/gambit score/when games end we will be using for this event is that games will not automatically end at 200 if there is time left on the clock. If both players agree there is a clear winner, they may stop there, otherwise the game continues until 1 player has no pieces left on the board or time is up.

Therefore we will also look to see if any games would have had a different outcome if the game was forced to be stopped when a player reached 200. It may not come up, but we'll see if it does.

I will do my best to report all data factually, and discussion and commentary to be civil (and make clear which is which). I apologize for not having been the best at that lately, I will be much more cognizant of it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 9:54:52 AM

Squadbuilding Depth Tournament

Average activations:

TimmerB123 - 10 average (12, 13, 8, 7)
. (zero reinforcement pieces)

Darth O - 13.75 average (11, 10, 8, 26)
. (Includes a 26 act squad, 9.6666 Avg without it)

UrbanShmi - 9.75 average (9, 9, 10, 11)
. (1 reinforcement piece - 8th Cortex Shaper)
. (10 Avg with reinforcement)

Randy - 12.25 average (11, 10, 19, 9)

urbanjedi - 9 average (9, 9, 9, 9)

thereisnotry - 9 average (9, 9, 6, 12)

DarkDracul - 11 average (11, 10, 11, 12)

AceAce - 13.75 average (14, 11, 14, 16)

Total Average: 11.0265 average activations
. (11.1875 with the single reinforcement added in)

Only a single piece in all 32 squads that have a reinforcement of any kind (and it is the 8th Cortex Shaper - which only allows you to bring in a single piece)

Activation count seems to be lower overall, and especially when factoring out the outlier or 2, perhaps brought as squad extremes for variety (presumptive there).

Many more "stout" pieces all around. Brought with the thought of staying alive (vs just collecting gambit)? Perhaps.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2020 10:06:42 AM

Number of squads of each FACTION

Old Republic: 2

Sith: 5

Republic: 4

Separatists: 4

Mandalorian: 1

Fringe: 4

Rebel: 4

Imperial: 2

New Republic: 4

Yuuzhan Vong: 2

5/8 of the players brought a Sith squad

1/2 brought Fringe, Rebel, Separatists, New Republic and Republic

Only 1 Mando, and 2 each of OR and Vong

Nothing really shocks me here.

Sith have been popular for the last few years, and even moreso with the new Darth Traya. People may not always bring it if they only get to play 1 squad, but if they get 4 it's likely going to be one of them.

Mandos don't get a ton of love (outside of tint, who is NOT playing them here, lol)
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 5:12:03 PM

So how did each of the factions fare?

Old Republic 0-2
beat:
lost to: Imperials, Republic

Sith 2-4
beat: Sith, Fringe
lost to: Rebels, Fringe, Sith, New Republic

Republic 2-3
beat: Yuuzhan Vong, Old Republic
lost to: Separatists, New Republic, Rebels

Separatists 2-2
beat: Separatists, Republic
lost to: Separatists, Yuuzhan Vong

Mandalorian 0-1
beat:
lost to: New Republic

Fringe 3-2
beat: Sith, Imperials, Fringe
lost to: Fringe, Sith

Rebel 3-2
beat: Republic, Sith, Rebel
lost to: New Republic, Rebel

Imperial 1-2
beat: Old Republic
lost to: Fringe, New Republic

New Republic 5-0
beat: Sith, Republic, Mandalorians, Imperials, Rebels
lost to:

Yuuzhan Vong 1-1
beat: Separatists
lost to: Republic

So New Republic DOMINATED with a 5-0 record, beating 5 different factions. 3/5 of those wins featured Rey-lo.
(Are the wonder twins are broken?)

Mandos lost their only match, and Old Republic lost their 2 matches.

Republic and Imperials underperformed somewhat, Fringe and Rebels just beat the curve

Sith disappointed at 2-4

Another VERY interesting fact - no faction ever beat or lost to another faction more than once!!!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 5:54:00 PM

As far as the one change in we played with - having games not end at 200 if there is time left and both players feel they have a chance to win - there were few games where it made any difference, but I know of at least 2 where it did happen.

1 the player not at 200 conceded since he only had a few scrubs left.

The other - was EPIC

It was an absolute slugfest. Final Score 336 - 231

It was

--Yoda man!--
100 Yoda, Hero of Geonosis
26 Elite Republic Commando - Boss
23 Elite Republic Commando - Fixer
23 Elite Republic Commando - Scorch
10 Kaminoan Clone Technician
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist
4 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid

(200pts. 8 activations)

VS

--Bad Maaan 2.2--
45 Dooku, Separatist Hero
28 Shada D'ukal
24 Young Han Solo
20 General Whorm Loathsom
51 IG-86 Assassin Droid x3
9 Battle Droid Officer
8 OOM Security Battle Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 14 activations)

It was played on Rebel Fortress (Modular Base)

Separatists started from the right and advanced toward the center room. The Republic used Boss and Scorch's Coordinated Movement on Fixer to get him up into gambit. Yoda gets towed by R2 to get in there too. Fixer tried to lock them out of gambit at the top of round 2, which proved foolish. There was an uglier in range to blow the door, and then the Separatists' IG-86s made short work of Fixer. That hurt the other commandos badly, losing med packs, override and the +4 synergy. Shada came in to bodyguard the droids, but Yoda with the Help of Boss and Scorch took them out, but not before Dooku came in swinging his greater mobile double twins, and Han firing from the back. Yoda was at about 1/2 health, then got towed by R2 to the Seps backfield and took out Whorm to try and give the Republic a chance. Republic Commandos were taking the heat on the other side from Han and Dooku. By the time Yoda gets back to gambit (he had R2 lock the door to protect him), Boss is gone and Scorch is hurt, Han is near Death but Dooku is untouched. Scorch goes down soon after that, and Yoda is able to take out Han. It's Yoda with 30hp and R2 vs Dooku full hp and most of his scrubs. Yoda gets lucky to win a few inits to be able to take out most of the scrubs and keep Dooku at bay (Yoda's force defense stopping Dooku's lightning). Yoda starts in on Dooku, and finally got the luck he needed rolling a 15 for init, getting 4 more spaarti's as reserves. (it had been 8 rounds, so it was overdue to happen). He's able to soak up Dooku's damage and put a good bit on him. Both had scored many gambit, but Separatists had scored 3 more. 4 of the Separatists gambits, they were the only ones in gambit. Republic only had 1st round gambit by themselves. However, since Yoda costs 100 pts and Dooku is only 45 - the score was lopsided in favor of Republic.

At this point - Republic passed 200 points. The game would have ended with Republic winning and 3-1 being the tournament score.

But - that game CERTAINLY wasn't over. It would have been EXTREMELY disappointing to BOTH players had it ended there.

Luckily, we made the rule change for this tournament, and it came up. It came up BIG TIME.

Actually getting to FINISH the game -

Yoda then gets lucky getting ANOTHER 15 for init, and piles in 4 more spaartis. Again able to stave off Dooku long enough to stay alive. Another round, some more dancing, and it's back down to Dooku vs Yoda - Yoda with 10hp left. Dooku finally gets the init he needs and time runs out - they must finish the round. Dooku doesn't have the FP to lightning, so he has no choice but to attack, hitting Yoda. Yoda LS defenses, misses. Rerolls with his last FP and misses!

Dooku wins! He pulled it off!

Here's the fun part friends - I made the rule change for this tournament.

It came to matter big time once.

That once ended up giving me a LOSS when I would have WON. Lol

But I don't regret it!

It was a roller coaster of a game, and was honestly one of the best, most exciting games I've ever played.

I can say absolutely and fully - EVEN AS THE LOSER IN THIS SITUATION, that this game should have played on.

This is how minis was meant to be played. That game was up in the air until the final roll, and would have been supremely disappointing to end before that.

Mike (AceAce) was my opponent in that match - he can give his point of view as well.

The whole tournament was worth it for me - just for that match!
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 6:54:01 PM

As far as the one change in we played with - having games not end at 200 if there is time left and both players feel they have a chance to win - there were few games where it made any difference, but I know of at least 2 where it did happen.

1 the player not at 200 conceded since he only had a few scrubs left.

The other - was EPIC

It was an absolute slugfest. Final Score 336 - 231

It was

--Yoda man!--
100 Yoda, Hero of Geonosis
26 Elite Republic Commando - Boss
23 Elite Republic Commando - Fixer
23 Elite Republic Commando - Scorch
10 Kaminoan Clone Technician
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist
4 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid

(200pts. 8 activations)

VS

--Bad Maaan 2.2--
45 Dooku, Separatist Hero
28 Shada D'ukal
24 Young Han Solo
20 General Whorm Loathsom
51 IG-86 Assassin Droid x3
9 Battle Droid Officer
8 OOM Security Battle Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 14 activations)

It was played on Rebel Fortress (Modular Base)

Separatists started from the right and advanced toward the center room. The Republic used Boss and Scorch's Coordinated Movement on Fixer to get him up into gambit. Yoda gets towed by R2 to get in there too. Fixer tried to lock them out of gambit at the top of round 2, which proved foolish. There was an uglier in range to blow the door, and then the Separatists' IG-86s made short work of Fixer. That hurt the other commandos badly, losing med packs, override and the +4 synergy. Shada came in to bodyguard the droids, but Yoda with the Help of Boss and Scorch took them out, but not before Dooku came in swinging his greater mobile double twins, and Han firing from the back. Yoda was at about 1/2 health, then got towed by R2 to the Seps backfield and took out Whorm to try and give the Republic a chance. Republic Commandos were taking the heat on the other side from Han and Dooku. By the time Yoda gets back to gambit (he had R2 lock the door to protect him), Boss is gone and Scorch is hurt, Han is near Death but Dooku is untouched. Scorch goes down soon after that, and Yoda is able to take out Han. It's Yoda with 30hp and R2 vs Dooku full hp and most of his scrubs. Yoda gets lucky to win a few inits to be able to take out most of the scrubs and keep Dooku at bay (Yoda's force defense stopping Dooku's lightning). Yoda starts in on Dooku, and finally got the luck he needed rolling a 15 for init, getting 4 more spaarti's as reserves. (it had been 8 rounds, so it was overdue to happen). He's able to soak up Dooku's damage and put a good bit on him. Both had scored many gambit, but Separatists had scored 3 more. 4 of the Separatists gambits, they were the only ones in gambit. Republic only had 1st round gambit by themselves. However, since Yoda costs 100 pts and Dooku is only 45 - the score was lopsided in favor of Republic.

At this point - Republic passed 200 points. The game would have ended with Republic winning and 3-1 being the tournament score.

But - that game CERTAINLY wasn't over. It would have been EXTREMELY disappointing to BOTH players had it ended there.

Luckily, we made the rule change for this tournament, and it came up. It came up BIG TIME.

Actually getting to FINISH the game -

Yoda then gets lucky getting ANOTHER 15 for init, and piles in 4 more spaartis. Again able to stave off Dooku long enough to stay alive. Another round, some more dancing, and it's back down to Dooku vs Yoda - Yoda with 10hp left. Dooku finally gets the init he needs and time runs out - they must finish the round. Dooku doesn't have the FP to lightning, so he has no choice but to attack, hitting Yoda. Yoda LS defenses, misses. Rerolls with his last FP and misses!

Dooku wins! He pulled it off!

Here's the fun part friends - I made the rule change for this tournament.

It came to matter big time once.

That once ended up giving me a LOSS when I would have WON. I was running the Republic squad in. this match. Lol

But I don't regret it!

It was a roller coaster of a game, and was honestly one of the best, most exciting games I've ever played.

I can say absolutely and fully - EVEN AS THE LOSER IN THIS SITUATION, that this game should have played on.

This is how minis was meant to be played. That game was up in the air until the final roll, and would have been supremely disappointing to end before that.

I would have felt cheap if I had gotten the win. In the "race to 200", I didn't even win the gambit count. I just kept my 100 cost character alive just long enough to hit 200 first, but not long enough to actually win.

(I also would have felt gross winning due to reserves. Ewww. I felt dirty even playing a piece with reserves where it's not just inicidental. I do like Yoda even without the reserves.)

Mike (AceAce) was my opponent in that match - he can give his point of view as well.

The whole tournament was worth it for me - just for that match!