RegisterDonateLogin

The Kyle Katarn of intergalactic dairy products.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2020 gencon Champs Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:54:58 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Leaderboard after 3 rounds
tint 9
urbanjedi 8
FlyingArrow 7
spry 7
Kezz 6
angus 5
Caedus 5
randy 5
Darth O 5
urbanshmi 4
mike moore 4
jim 3
TheHutts 3
dougplatypus 3
DarkDracul 3
Timmer 2
AceAce 2

(probably - I've been known to make mistakes)
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 6:11:30 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 7:42:58 PM

Leaderboard after Swiss:
1. tint 12
2. spry 10
3. Kezz 9
4. urbanjedi 9
5. Darth O 8
6. FlyingArrow 8
UrbanShmi 6
Caedus 6
angus 6
DarthJim 6
TheHutts 5
Randy 5
Timmer 5
mike moore 4
AceAce 4
DarkDracul 3
dougplatypus 3

Not sure about tiebreakers after top 6, though. If urbanjedi posts a list, it will probably be in correct tiebreaker order.

(Edit: Fixed TheHutts score)
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2020 7:57:54 PM

I only scored 5, I think.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:15:42 AM

Congratulations Trevor! Well deserved as always
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 2:38:35 AM

I'd like to congratulate Trevor as well, one of my best friends made in this game and a fine human being. I wish I could have stayed up to watch everything but... well... I'm old.

Thanks to all of you, particularly Jason, who worked so hard to make this happen. Its a crazy world right now, and it felt good... and right... to reconnect with old friends and play the best game that's ever been made, albeit in a virtual world this time. While having it online meant that people who normally couldn't have come, it also meant solving a lot of new issues. From my perspective, you all did just that and I know I was able to sit back and play games in the comfort of my home because you all smoothed out the path beforehand.

Speaking of people who normally couldn't have come, it was great to see our Kiwi friends here in numbers. They are as quality of a game group as anywhere, and I was particularly glad to see my friend Kezzamachine do so well in the Champs. I'm not surprised, though... if GenCon were a regular thing I know you all would have your share of National Champions to brag on. We had 4 countries represented this year at Virtual GenCon... the U.S, Canada, New Zealand, and England, and it felt like old times. I've now played people from 5 nations in my GenCon games.

This week Facebook reminded me that 5 years ago this week I won my National Championship. The winning was great but the memories made are drawing me back in. This has been a great experience overall and I'd just like to ask my good friend Trevor after winning his third National Championship what's next? Disney World?
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 5:02:01 AM

With a 6 activation Mando squad? I'm impressed
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:55:36 PM

I was pretty excited about the chance to play in GenCon - I'd never played on Vassal before, as normally there are opportunities to play in person here in New Zealand, and it's easier to justify playing with a friend in real person than sitting at a computer.

I was originally planning to play a Sith squad of mid-range melee pieces with Amanoa and the Nexus, but changed to playing Mace/GOWK after I realised that the lower-activation and less techy meta this year would suit them. I think I last played them in a tournament back in 2012, where I backed them up with Doombot, Ferus Olin, and Captain Rex. I subbed in Nico Ockarr for Captain Rex - I liked how he had an inbuilt movement breaker and could help thin crowds with pinpoint attacks, and how he was eligible for GOWK's CE. Rex definitely would have been more helpful in some matchups though.

First round I played against doug_platypus' Mandos. It was amusing to draw him, as I'd played a couple of warmup games against him. I'd already figured out that the key was to take down Shae Vizsla early, then the Mandos struggle to get through my squad's high defense. He did put some damage on Mace though.

Second round I played another NZer - Kezzamachine. I often beat Kezzamachine, but he played his fringe squad really well. He brought in two bodyguards and made fodder walls. Boba with pseudo-intuition, 90 accurate damage, and GMA is a huge threat. I was trying carefully to look after R2, but left Nico exposed. In hindsight, Nico was key for clearing through fodder fast enough to let Mace have a swing at a key piece like Boba. I also forgot about Mira's grenades, and all I really did was kill some fodder and get some gambit. I do think it's a pretty tough matchup - Ysalamari shut me down, and Kez positioned well.

In the third round I was looking forward to using my force points, but I drew Caedus' Vong. I had a plan to tow Mace to the commander's area, but Caedus came around and sent some guys through the door I was planning to use. This meant he split his forces and I could kill Tsavong early without much reprisal, but those were the only points I scored. It was a little closer than it looked with a few of his pieces down to 10hp, but I just couldn't get to Sheodai Shai, and Shai laid waste to all my guys.

In the fourth round, I played another New Zealander, Mike Moore Smuggler. After three one-sided contests, this promised to be a more even game, but Mike's dice deserted him. He kept making drone saves when he didn't want to, Grievous failed four consecutive parry saves as he died to Mace, while Durge couldn't roll enough high numbers to finish Mace and Ferus on a couple of strafes. I still may well have won with better dice for Mike - I had an unscathed GOWK sitting in gambit - but it would have been a whole lot closer.

Even though I finished in the bottom half with a 2-2 record, it was an amazing opportunity to participate in World Champs.