RegisterDonateLogin

Controls your actions - partially - but it also obeys your commands.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2020 Semifinal Strategy Questions (Nullified Ubertank vs Nightsiblings) Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 4:53:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

In my GenCon semifinal match against spryguy1981, I played Nullified Ubertank vs Nightsisters.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/219001/nullified-ubertank---cat
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/218994/nightsiblings

There were two big decisions that I think are worth discussing. I'll give my reasoning, but I'm not sure about either one. What would you do?

First decision: who gets Vonduun Crab Armor 6 vs the Nightsiblings? Against shooters, I give it to Warb Null, who becomes very difficult to kill with DR10+VCA6. Against melee, I give it to Caedus, who becomes very difficult to kill with Makashi+Master Illusion+VCA6. Nightsiblings is primarily a direct damage squad, but has some solid melee damage coming from Savage and Asajj. The decision here isn't obvious.

I gave it to Caedus in this match. The hope was that Warb Null would go do a decent amount of damage while Caedus charged up Force points. By the time Warb Null died, the big Force Repulse would be done and the witches would be short on Force points. Caedus might have to eat 2 or 3 lightnings, but he's mostly he'd be fighting against melee, where he could tank. Warb Null goes down pretty quickly against melee, and I figured he would still go down pretty quickly even if had the VCA. But maybe I made the wrong call here. It didn't work out for me, after all.

Second decision: Savage Oppress is reachable, but not easily. I have Easy Path and Loth-Cat available, so that I can base Savage with either Caedus or Warb Null. I'd like to kill Savage before he can do his big Repulse. Four options:

a. Extend with Caedus to chase Savage
b. Extend with Warb Null to chase Savage
c. Wait in gambit with both
d. Wait in gambit with one, with the other far enough away that he won't get hit with the Repulse

I went with option (b). With all the Nightsiblings getting Force Renewal, I don't think waiting it out was to my advantage, even though I was gaining gambit. If they have charged up enough FPs, I don't think I can kill the whole squad before before falling to the direct damage. Also, by extending, Caedus and Warb were far enough from each other that the Repulse wouldn't hit both.

I pushed Warb out to Savage for Warb's Distraction. Savage was at 4fp, and because he was distracted he wouldn't be able to get his Force Renewal to get to 5. Also because of the Distraction, the other Nightsiblings wouldn't be able to simply lightning at will, because Savage would eat damage, too. Warb moved adjacent to Savage but only got to make one attack since it was on the move. I could have burned a bunch more Force points on a double-SBM to get Warb adjacent for a Double-Attack, but I don't think that would have been worth it. Warb put 30dmg on Savage, but then Savage hit back on his own turn with (devastatingly) a crit. 90dmg to Warb. Savage walked away and took 30 more damage on the AoO and then Lightning from one of the mothers killed Warb. Without the crit, Warb would have survived the round, and then depending on who won init, Warb or Savage would have killed the other one.

Maybe Caedus should have run out there. He likely would have batted away Savage's lightsaber, but would have been more susceptible to Lightning. Maybe I could have killed Savage the next round if Caedus went out there and survived.

Or maybe I should've just waited in gambit. Thoughts?
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 5:15:38 PM
Groups: Member

Those are interesting dilemmas. Honestly, I think it's just a bad matchup. Given what you've explained here, it seems to me that you made the right choices. That crit really sealed things, but if Savage hadn't rolled the crit, it would've come down to a key init and it seems like that was the best you could hope for in that matchup.

The dice just didn't go your way this time. In an even match-up, you can usually recover from a bad crit or miss or a lost init...but in a difficult matchup, you really do need the dice to swing in your favour at least once or twice.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 5:28:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

That crit and then Asajj making 5 straight parries (preventing 140dmg) were probably too much to overcome, but I'm still curious about the "right" move.

I won this matchup in Swiss. Savage pulled off a devastating Repulse, but then he got killed before doing any attack damage. Asajj failed her parries in that game.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 8:02:25 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
That crit and then Asajj making 5 straight parries (preventing 140dmg) were probably too much to overcome, but I'm still curious about the "right" move.

I won this matchup in Swiss. Savage pulled off a devastating Repulse, but then he got killed before doing any attack damage. Asajj failed her parries in that game.
It sounds like that was the difference...as I said, the dice need to be kind to you in a match-up like that.