RegisterDonateLogin

Is NOT a committee!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Hi, I'm new here, I have some questions Options
Spectreman17
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 8:13:12 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,

I just discovered this game through a friend, and I'm sold. I'm coming from all of Games Workshops Tabletop War Games, and I want to get involved and start playing.

I see that Vassal is the popular format here, does anyone play via Tabletop Simulator? I've had my first few games using that instead.

Also, there is a TON of content on here that I can't find elsewhere. A million expansions I have never heard of. Is the content on here mostly homebrewed? In which case, what's the difference between the customs section and the custom stuff in the normal section?

Thanks for dropping by and saying hi. I hope to play a few matches with you guys soon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 8:35:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Welcome!

Yes, for online play, we use Vassal. There's a tournament coming up this Sunday if you're interested. I haven't played it on Tabletop Simulator - not sure if anyone else here has.

The game was produced by Wizards of the Coast from 2004-2010. Starting in 2011, the Vsets began (virtual sets). They are new stat cards that use the existing WotC minis as proxies (though some players create custom minis to use instead). Just this month the 20th Vset was released. All of the stats are here in the database. The cards can be printed from the PDFs that you'll find here:

http://swmgamers.com/SWM/V-setMain.html

Or, you can get professionally printed cards for some sets by sending a bloomail to urbanjedi. All of the sets have been printed (or are in the process of getting printed), but for many of the sets we've run out of copies.

For your reference, in the database here, Masters of the Force was the last WotC set (i.e. physical minis) and Destiny of the Force was the first Vset.

The Vsets are made by players, but it's a lot more than just "homebrew". For any given set, there are close to a dozen people working on it in some capacity (4 designers, plus playtesters, card design, rules and quality control, card sorting/distribution, etc). The sets have been legal for tournaments (including the GenCon championship each year) ever since WotC discontinued the game.
Spectreman17
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 8:49:26 PM

All of the WOTC official content has been uploaded to Tabletop Simulator, which makes it quite easy to play. I'm not yet familiar with Vassal, though I'll learn as I go.

As far as Sunday's tournament, where could I find more information? I'm in Japan so time zones can sometimes make things difficult, but I would love to join.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:09:07 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28753

That's the thread about Vassal, but you need to install the Vassal engine first.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:10:11 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=29817

That's the thread about the tournament.
Spectreman17
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:13:35 PM

Vassal is installed and set up. I'm fiddling around with it figuring out all the functionality.

Tourney is at 4 AM Monday local time. That won't work. I'll try and schedule a casual game going forward as I get the hang of Vassal.
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 3:32:41 AM

There are several people from New Zeland who are active on here and also play on Vassal as well so you may be able to schedule a game with one or more of them as the time difference may not be quite as extreme.