RegisterDonateLogin

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Milk the Bloo?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

200pt Separatist Melee Squad - Without Lancer or V-Sets Options
thekamon
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:29:00 PM
Groups: Member

Howdy,

Around 5 years ago a friend and I purchased over 100 figures. For some reason I thought the bulk of them were from 2004-2005, but it seems a whole lot are from 2008-2010, so that's what I'll be focusing our squads on.

I've been digging through old squads from around 2010 and it seems like almost every Separatist team is a type of Lancer-focused strategy (and rightfully so). At this point my playgroup doesn't have any interest in the V-sets, so I'm trying to find "official" figures for this kind of team.

Here's what I have:

Darth Tyranus 48pt
Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side 49pt
Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin 43pt

Now I know there are others out there such as variants of Maul, Sidious, Aurra Sing, different Asajj, different Tyranus, etc. and I have no problem buying them if they'll form a "good" Separatist melee team. Unfortunately I'm not very experienced in putting together teams, so what would you all suggest? Were there any solid teams like this around back in '09 or '10?

Note: When I say "melee" team, I don't mean to sound like I'm against shooters. I'm fine with 1-2 generalist shooters to make it well rounded.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:50:27 PM

General Whorm Loathsome is quite helpful in living melee squads. If I'm playing Asajj Separatist Assassin, I sometimes throw in a BBSV to give her evade. My favorite separatist melee is Darth Maul, Champion of the Sith since he has quadruple and can get twin from Whorm.

Here's an example squad that would use the characters you have plus a couple more:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/221394/separatist-melee
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:55:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The issue the melee seps had back then (and somewhat still have) is lack of support for the beat sticks. V-sets have helped some with this, but the faction is primarily centered on droids. When you bring in some beatsticks, you end up bringing in droids to support them- droids that arent very good unless you invest in support for them. So you end up without enough support to really let either droids or flesh have their most potential.

Anyhow, i still recommend playing it your way, as they're fun and it sounds like you're realistic about the challenges. They aren't completely without merit and I played a lot of the various Dookus back in the day.

You'll want Whorm Loathsom if you don't have him. He's a must have, and for WoTC builds, the main source of support for any number of separatist squads (especially if you run droids and don't want to spend 57 on Grevious DAC). Whorm turns your double attackers into quad attackers, and makes Durge a nightmare (if you can set him up for a 6 shot attack).

Tyranus LOTDS is a solid piece. As with all Dookus, he completely lacks ranged defense, and any shooter squad will shred 25% of your build the second he steps into line of sight. You'll want some Human Body Guards, as they are one of the few options the faction has to keep it's living units alive.

I also do recommend Darth Sidious. Yes, he's expensive, but he's one of the other WotC staples. See if your friends are cool with Proxies? He's mainly so useful because he gives non-uniqes a second activation, as well as being a force battery. He works well with your Dooku, as Dooku's real shining factor is his 4 point lighting. If you want to get that off more than once in a game, Sideous is the way to do it. Between both characters, you usually have a lot of auto damage that can help deal with major threats (General Obi Kenobi).

I remember seeing some people run the B'omarr Monk for the same reason- double activate your dark force users (its gamble and i felt a bit gimmicky).
harryg
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 2:20:41 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
The issue the melee seps had back then (and somewhat still have) is lack of support for the beat sticks. V-sets have helped some with this, but the faction is primarily centered on droids. When you bring in some beatsticks, you end up bringing in droids to support them- droids that arent very good unless you invest in support for them. So you end up without enough support to really let either droids or flesh have their most potential.

Anyhow, i still recommend playing it your way, as they're fun and it sounds like you're realistic about the challenges. They aren't completely without merit and I played a lot of the various Dookus back in the day.

You'll want Whorm Loathsom if you don't have him. He's a must have, and for WoTC builds, the main source of support for any number of separatist squads (especially if you run droids and don't want to spend 57 on Grevious DAC). Whorm turns your double attackers into quad attackers, and makes Durge a nightmare (if you can set him up for a 6 shot attack).

Tyranus LOTDS is a solid piece. As with all Dookus, he completely lacks ranged defense, and any shooter squad will shred 25% of your build the second he steps into line of sight. You'll want some Human Body Guards, as they are one of the few options the faction has to keep it's living units alive.

I also do recommend Darth Sidious. Yes, he's expensive, but he's one of the other WotC staples. See if your friends are cool with Proxies? He's mainly so useful because he gives non-uniqes a second activation, as well as being a force battery. He works well with your Dooku, as Dooku's real shining factor is his 4 point lighting. If you want to get that off more than once in a game, Sideous is the way to do it. Between both characters, you usually have a lot of auto damage that can help deal with major threats (General Obi Kenobi).

I remember seeing some people run the B'omarr Monk for the same reason- double activate your dark force users (its gamble and i felt a bit gimmicky).

Sly Moore is cheaper than the B'omarr Monk as well but has the drawbacks of not only being Unique but also a bit more fragile (both pieces are extremely fragile in any event).
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 2:56:23 PM

Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin is a very good piece. She's comparable to Mara Jade Jedi (a power piece in New Republic) but she can't do all of her damage on the move and she doesn't have access to a good movement breaker (Mara often gets levitated by Ganner Rhysode).

It's hard to know what to put with her though - she already has twin so she doesn't benefit from Whorm. Maybe her best use would be as melee interference for some pimped out IG-86s or something?
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 6:22:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You could spend 38 pts and give Asajj Assassin Evade and Greater Mobile to get that damage on the move...but you'd want to build around those CEs. Good news is there's a lot of low point Fringe that would benefit from that combo...