RegisterDonateLogin

Health warning: May increase the risk of Sith Rage in certain drinkers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set Questions - Past, Present, Future Options
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 12:14:23 PM
Groups: Member

I wanted to share some thoughts I had with you. I mean no offense with anything below, and instead have inquiries into the status of the community and game.

Let me share with you where I am at with the game and how I came to these questions. Recently I moved back close to my hometown where I grew up playing SWM. Our playgroup has gotten back together and we're trying to get weekly sessions in. A few of the players in the group had previously renounced V-Set all together and now are interested in trying again. Others played the first few sets, and the remaining players played up until 14 or 15. Star Wars Miniatures has been an adhesive for a collection of us here and we all find ourselves wanting to throw back some beers and roll D20s, but our knowledge of V-Set varies tremendously as I previously described. The conundrum I am faced with is how to get everyone of varying knowledge up to speed. While trying to come to a reasonable solution for everyone I've pondered some questions.

1) How many active players are left? I see a lot of familiar names on the forums, but SWMgamers does not look like it sees a lot of activity. Is there an indication of the # of downloads off SMGamers that could provide insight into active players?

2) Given that there is a post for V-Set 23, I wonder at what point (if this point hasn't been reached already) designers will look at V-Set and give it a date of finality. 23 sets is a lot, 10 years is a lot, and there is a lot catch up on for anyone out of the loop. Have the designers considered EOL (end of life) for the V-Set?

3) If there is a EOL that has been mulled, has a V-Set 2.0 been considered? Or perhaps an abridged version of sets? Or if EOL has been considered, would it simply be better to leave V-Set to stand on its own, sort of like where they ended Imperial Assault? (or WotC ended SWM for that matter!)

It's humbling to see that all these years later there are still folks playing and I am grateful for the work everyone has put in to keeping the game alive. We have had our fair share of enjoyable games within our group as result of your hard work and dedication. However, I cannot help but find myself wondering what 'the end' will look like, assuming 'the end' has ever been considered.

Again, I hope none of this has come across with any animosity. Thanks for reading.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 12:45:00 PM

welcome back! i don't know how many active people there are but i do know that there are some long time players that have come back after a few years long hiatus (myself included) so that is encouraging to see. we have had a couple of new players show up also. as far as the EOL of the V-sets, this was discussed a little bit a couple of weeks back on one of the episodes of SHNN and it sounded like that there isn't an end planned for the v-sets as of yet. There is still new content being made for star wars and many characters still haven't been made from the legends/canon storylines from the books/tv-series/movies/comics. i don't think there is going to be a lack of ideas on future characters any time soon

on swmgamers.com, its mostly used now by the designers for the v-sets wherease bloomilk seems to be the main hub of activity for the rest of the community. there is a discord channel that sees some activity also. We've been trying to reach out to more people on there as a way to let people know about events and to get onto vassal for games. Vassal has seen a lot more active of the last year with tournament play and different formats being tried.
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 1:18:03 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth_Reignir wrote:
I wonder at what point (if this point hasn't been reached already) designers will look at V-Set and give it a date of finality.

adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 3:21:28 PM

With disney kicking star wars production into high gear, there seems to be some small increase in returning players, and As long as Disney pumps out characters, people will wanna see vset representation.

The community won't be huge again, but there's still interest. It's split here, discord, Facebook, and reddit. I could see production quality going down ower time (smaller and smaller sets, or PDF only), but doubt the vsets are ready to give up just yet.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 3:43:31 PM

I, personally, always come back every year or so to see how things are going.
As far as I can see the game hasn't changed much in terms of competitive play. But the players have. Must people playing casual, fun armies.
As long as it stays fun people will play it.

I like the TN led changes that have happened (just took a couple of years).
Ban Daala, nerf Suppressive, change up act control, etc

It looks like something that can be played a bit like it is supposed to be played. But there haven't been much great melee fighters that have come out that says Santiago's competitive. Design team really needs to make power 9 melee pieces that can match or overcome already set melee pieces that can't win.
ORs best squad is still probably bastila, atton, Satele mix
Or hex droids

But, there is some fun stuff, is just not top tier stuff.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 10:04:25 AM

Now helping the diplomat problem??
Geez. About time to call up the TN group and see who still has pieces to play.
Darth_Reignir
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 10:13:29 AM

Doing some rough math, there are more than 1000 cards out there that need to be printed and cut out. That's why I wonder if there would ever be an abridged version.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2021 7:07:54 PM

That is true. It is an expansive game, and I imagine new players may be overwhelmed, but that's true of any game with history. the games evolved in other ways. Maybe temporarily, maybe not, but the game is played primarily online these day. Making the physical card of less concern. There seems to be more concern with the digital information- the future of bloomilk and squad building limitations, as this site is now a primary component of gameplay
Cassus fett
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2021 11:38:15 AM

Personally I think Captain Rex said it best, "Experience outranks everything."
As you said lots of pieces. Usage stats here on bloomilk aren't terribly helpful as the most used pieces are almost all still WOTC pieces.
I think the best way to increase knowledge is exposure. Just roll more vset characters into your squads. Start with the really popular ones like Talon InfoBroker, Boba Fett AFH, Spaarti Clone Demos, Vader of Lothal. Then branch out into the deeper cuts like Dice Ibegeon, Vision in the Cave, Tol Skorr, Lord Hethrir.
You can always point them to the site here. You don't need an account to browse the sets and i find bloomilk's interface more user friendly than SWMgamers.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2021 12:11:20 PM

In the squadbuilding forum, there are strategy guides (one year old) for each faction. Here's a link to one of them (Mandalorian):

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28774

The guides highlight the top pieces in each faction.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2021 5:07:33 AM

You're right, that there's a lot to catch up on if you're getting back into the game after a few years.

The faction guides that FlyingArrow talks about are a great place to start. One key thing in this game is that you've gotta know your squad, and in order to start with a good squad, these things are gold.

The other key thing in this game is that you've gotta know the capabilities of your opponent's squad. I think you'll find that most of the time if you ask, your opponent will be happy to explain to you the basic CEs and tricks that his squad has. At the start of a match I and my opponent often ask each other if we need to watch out for area-of-effect stuff (grenades, missiles, etc). But a quick heads-up from your opponent can only go so far...in order to get caught up after several years away from the game, I think you've just gotta play it. Again, the faction guides are excellent, because each one highlights the pieces that you're likely to face from that faction.