RegisterDonateLogin

More protein than a Gimer Stick.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Savage and Nightsister Affinity Options
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 4:46:11 PM
Groups: Member

This was in the comments of a Squad (probably not the best place) so here we go...

Savage's Affinity only brings in 1 Nightsister ally. So you would need a Sith Witch or have Savage bring in a Nightsister Shaman to get multiples.

I'm pretty sure Savage's Affinity lets you bring in as many Nightsisters as you want. Otherwise spry's GenCon-winning squad from last year would have been illegal. It is worded weirdly though.

Savage's Affinity on Bloo
Affinity (A character whose name contains Nightsister may be in your squad regardless of faction)

Nightsister Shaman's Affinity on Bloo
Affinity (Characters whose names contain Nightsister can be in your squad, regardless of faction)

Sith Witch's Affinity from Bloo
Affinity (Characters whose names contain Nightsister can be in your squad, regardless of faction)

Not sure what the original intent of Savage Oppress was, but it is clear that his affinity wording is different than the other Nightsister characters

Probably should have some type of official rules guy declaration here.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 5:34:26 PM

Agreed. Sloppy wording either way.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 5:52:41 PM

It should be all nightsisters (unless I am missing something somewhere)

From Jedi Crusader (wotc)

Affinity (A character whose name contains Malak or Revan may be in your squad regardless of faction)

And we know you could play both revan and malak if you wanted.

So not sure why Savage would be any different
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:00:50 PM

From the R+R FAQ

Mini FAQ
Special Abilities
Affinity
Q: Savage Oppress has Affinity for characters whose name contains Nightsister, some who are Fringe and can already be in this squad. Does this change their faction to Seperatist.
A: Yes. While they don't need Affinity to be in the same squad, they still benefit from the faction change.
Q: Is the change of faction optional?
A: No.

While it doesn't answer the "specific" question, it certainly implies that you can bring in multiples with the use of "they"
fingersandteeth
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:02:46 PM

It was Bill's stat block and that wording existed in its very own iteration.

It was specifically added so you could bring in the Nightsister mother to get force renewal. It wasn't mentioned or discussed about bringing in multiples but implied.

I think the affinity wording was taken from another affinity piece to keep wording consistent rather than preventing using the affinity multiple times.

The extra night sister stuff came later so probably best to ret con it to including any number if there is confusion.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:09:35 PM

So that settles it. We play it like most have been playing it all along. Any number of Nightsisters
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 6:47:10 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
It was Bill's stat block and that wording existed in its very own iteration.

It was specifically added so you could bring in the Nightsister mother to get force renewal. It wasn't mentioned or discussed about bringing in multiples but implied.

I think the affinity wording was taken from another affinity piece to keep wording consistent rather than preventing using the affinity multiple times.

The extra night sister stuff came later so probably best to ret con it to including any number if there is confusion.

I wondered why it didn't have Characters instead of A character, because the Nightsister Sith Witch was out at the same time as well. That is why I thought it may have only been for one, not multiple.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:55:23 PM

Yeah, that's not how I've been reading Savage's Affinity. I try and go with the strictest interpretation of the rules so it wasn't obvious to me that "A character" could mean multiple characters.

Good to get a ruling on this!