RegisterDonateLogin

No blasters! No blasters!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Daala/Jabba Desilijic Tiure - Wolf in different clothing? Options
AceAce
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 6:35:19 AM
Groups: Member

Echoing what the NZ guys said about their recent national tournament, Jabba is a problem and like Daala, is going to have to be addressed. Just ask anyone who has played it or against it, you can catalog their testimonials for the early chapters of your book.

Same boost Talon has as well as canon shots for a N/U and U piece.
Movement suppressor.
Movement breaker
Reinforcements drives him down to 23...if you have Bib Fortuna he costs 15
Can give any BH access to the cartel

There's no reason to try to kill him with 180 HP as you'll get chewed up long before by his posse before you kill him so his CE will go all day. At least Talon is usually in the fight.

Talon is huge and probably a problem as well at 32 for what he does, but at least he can't do it for 23 points or even 15 with Bib in the squad... but that is a story for another day.

One final thought...movement breakers are annoyingly widespread like a virus. It's a wonderful thing for people playing them, annoying for people not "enjoying" their myriad benefits. So much game time is spent with dice rolls as it is, that now we have movement breakers ad nauseam and zone out is a very likely occurrence by the opponent as well as the player using them, waiting for their turn to consider all the options. It's boring to watch the opponent contemplate, boring to watch them finally make the move, and NPE at the end of the game even if you win the game. Mo-not-o-nous.

It's like they're playing a different game than what you thought you signed up for. It's like a lady of the night you brought back to the room only to find: (1) she's not what you thought, (2) she slipped you something in your drink, and (3) she took all your money AND your car keys.

thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 8:09:22 AM

For ease of reference, here are the comments that Mike is referring to:

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Some concerns were raised during this tournament about Jabba being too powerful overall, and specifically his ability Tight Security being a major NPE for melee squads. Winning initiative only to be forced to either let your opponent go first or not be able to move (within line of sight) is not the end of the world for shooters, but is very hard on melee. Put together with all the other powerful tools available to Jabba squads, that might be too much. As one of the people playing Jabba, I think these concerns are worthy of the balance committee's consideration. No doubt he'll also make an appearance at VassalCon, and results from there might clarify the situation (of course he shouldn't be banned *just* for winning).
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 11:31:45 AM

First and foremost - congrats to Gandalfthegreatestwizrd (Joe) and DarkDracul (Bryan) for winning their respective championships, as well as Mando (Trevor C) for an excellent run in the champs.

Jabba is hard to play. I can say that as someone who has played him several times and won with him this year.

Let's give the fine players their moment in the sun. They earned it.

Even if a piece is "broken", I say kudos to those who spot it, capitalize on it, and play it the best. That's kinda what this game is. They also overcame squads that were designed to try and beat them, because it was no secret that Jabba was top tier and gonna make a splash in the champs.

So let's all take a pause and raise a glass BlooMilk to these excellent players. They designed their squads well, and played them well.

Let's discuss if Jabba does too much next month. There are valid concerns, but I don't want to rain on their parade.

I will happily add my input then.