RegisterDonateLogin

Always keep refrigerated. In carbonite.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

We need separate Character Design and Gameplay Balance Committees Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2021 8:52:43 PM
Groups: Member

I put this in the Balance Committee thread, but it deserves its own.

Separating the "Balance Committee" into 2 distinct groups, since it is currently serving two separate roles.

Group 1 - The Design Balance Committee.
This would cover the Balance Committee's original purpose. They would be there to make sure character designs are "balanced" within the game. Or rather, making sure no piece puts the game out of balance. This is very important and necessary, and deserves its own focus. From the first post from the thread "Balance Committee Suggestions for the 2022 Season"; *CotG 27 Admiral Daala , *ATTA 20 Jabba Desilijic Tiure, *LTA 32 Bib Fortuna, Majordomo, *SHA 35 Mira of Nar Shaddaa, and *CotG 60 Warrior Caste Subcommander would all be topics for their docket. I think there could be one or two others, but the list was fairly complete.

Group 2 - The Gameplay Balance Committee.
Very important decisions related to this matter have been handled by the balance committee, but the community would be better served having a committee with it's focus solely on those matters. Anything outside of specific character design balance issues related to gameplay would fall under their purview. From the first post from the thread "Balance Committee Suggestions for the 2022 Season"; *Limited reinforcement pool, *Stacking of Save modifiers , and *General Tournament Play and would all be topics for their docket. This list is of course woefully short, several topics that have have major discussion completely missing from this list. Whether by intent or not, this proves that these topics are not being given the weight and consideration they deserve. "General tournament play" is a overly generic catch-all that needs to be delineated out. Many more topics that need to be addressed are already listed in this thread and others. Changing to 5-3-1 Scoring, Gambit not scored for either player if both players have qualifying pieces in gambit, stacking of damage boosts, Games not ending before time when there are pieces left that can do damage for both players, are all very important topics that were not listed, proving that fair weight is not being given to them. There were 4 page, 5 page, and 6 page threads devoted to these topics, and they aren't even listed in the initial post there? This alone speaks to the need of a separate and independent Gameplay Balance Committee.

Separating into 2 distinct groups serves 2 purposes.
1. It gives more specific focus to each unique category.
2. It "Balances" the power into 2 groups, so that one group does not make all decisions alone for our community.

To be clear, I don't think anyone on the balance committee is trying to be the all-powerful arbiters of our game. That doesn't mean that it's still not best for the game to have 2 separate groups.

I think the best course of action would be to split the current members of the Balance Committee in half, the members themselves voting for who they think would be best in each group. In other words, instead of volunteering, their peers should be the ones to say where their strength lies. Then each group can add a few members through the same voting method we've had in the past.

gholli69
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2021 11:39:39 PM

I am not certain that splitting into 2 separate committees is the right way to go. Also not sure how important changing gambit and scoring system is. Yes there were multiple multi page threads about it, but didn't you start most if not all of those Tim? I haven't really heard anyone else bring it up, and while it is a worthwhile discussion, at least to me it doesn't seem to be a big priority for most people. Maybe that is just my perception being off though.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2021 11:48:32 PM

gholli69 wrote:
I am not certain that splitting into 2 separate committees is the right way to go.

Ok, well since this is a discussion thread, I encourage you to explain why. Just saying “ I don’t think it’s the right way to go“, isn’t really very helpful. What is the way to go, and why? Why do you think this change would be detrimental to our game? Why is the system we have the best solution? Please give some sort of in depth analysis beyond the one sentence you wrote that is related to this thread.

gholli69 wrote:
Also not sure how important changing gambit and scoring system is. Yes there were multiple multi page threads about it, but didn't you start most if not all of those Tim? I haven't really heard anyone else bring it up, and while it is a worthwhile discussion, at least to me it doesn't seem to be a big priority for most people. Maybe that is just my perception being off though.

Well, none of this is really what this thread is about, but I do encourage you to go back and read through them. Many players voice their concerns.

I also encourage you to go to those specific threads and give more details as to why you think these changes would be bad for the game.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 2:07:00 AM

That thread is asking for community help to generate a list for the Balance Committee.
The list will be carefully vetted to ensure those items are a legitimate concern among players.
We need to know which topics people still care about or consider to be relevant.

I decided to start the list off with some of the recently posted items of concern instead of with a blank slate.
However, to not give the appearance of disregarding other items I generalized them as "General Tournament Play" figuring we could expand upon those later.

It is unreasonable to expect me to have listed every individual complaint players (or you) have made over the past year or to claim that as evidence of a lack of weight and consideration by the Balance Committee. I just didn't feel like digging through all those threads by myself. This is why I'm asking for community help to generate a list.
If you have specific items you want to be added to the list then suggest them.

​IMO we have a Balance Committee, a Rules Committee, and a Map Committee and it's enough
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 5:37:55 AM

maybe a committee to organize the committees?BigGrin

I know I'm not helpful at allRollEyes
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 7:45:15 AM

DarkDracul wrote:

​IMO we have a Balance Committee, a Rules Committee, and a Map Committee and it's enough

+1000000000000000000000
Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 8:39:49 AM

I don't fully know how things work, but I love the game and for whatever it is worth I think the balance committee has done a great job.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:09:14 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
I don't fully know how things work, but I love the game and for whatever it is worth I think the balance committee has done a great job.

Sure, not saying they haven’t. Only that the community would be better served with the 2 distinct categories being focused on individually.
Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:25:04 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Udorian84 wrote:

Sure, not saying they haven’t. Only that the community would be better served with the 2 distinct categories being focused on individually.

I am not really involved with that stuff so I don't have a dog in the fight. Just saying the game is great, Whatever is being done is great. Two old sayings I use on my mini farm.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And "too many cooks spoil the broth". That's my 2 cents.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:36:16 AM

I'm sorry but this proposal is laughable. I'm going out a limb here but I'm guessing between those 3 committees resides the majority of the people still playing competitively. So how do you intend to break that tiny number apart even further? More so, you're telling me you guys can't just hash stuff like Limited Reinforcement Pool out right now? If it's such a problem, why not deal with it now? Why push it back into next year(!) I don't think I've ever seen such lethargic balance committees.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 9:57:06 AM

Tim, the reason I don't feel it is a good idea is that I think there are already enough committees and it would only muddy the waters and things may get missed due to lack of communication between the different commitees. I think it is too much micro management of the project. Just my opinion but that is what you wanted right.

Additionally, I never said you were the only one to weigh in on tournament scoring/ gambit change. In fact quite the opossite as there were lengthy discussions with a lot of different opinions in the threads you mentioned. I merely stated that I don't see anyone else continuing to bring the issue to table. Maybe that is just because others are waiting for the BBC to address or maybe it just isn't as big a problem in the minds of others as it is to you personally. Honestly I don't know and can't speak to everyone else's thought process. I know I even engaged in the discussion on some of those threads, but it is a difficult topic and as I recall there wasn't any one easy solution that the vast majority seemed to really get behind and in that circumstance I think it may just be best to table the issue until a clear consensus is reached. That also allows the BC to concentrate on some of the other perhaps more urgent issues. I feel like maybe you took my comments as a personal attack and if so I apologize as that was not my intent and hopefully this explains my position a little better.
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 10:51:03 AM

Cassus fett wrote:
.......... I'm going out a limb here but I'm guessing between those 3 committees resides the majority of the people still playing competitively. So how do you intend to break that tiny number apart even further?...

I was thinking the same thingConfused
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 10:54:58 AM

gholli69 wrote:
I am not certain that splitting into 2 separate committees is the right way to go. Also not sure how important changing gambit and scoring system is. Yes there were multiple multi page threads about it, but didn't you start most if not all of those Tim? I haven't really heard anyone else bring it up, and while it is a worthwhile discussion, at least to me it doesn't seem to be a big priority for most people. Maybe that is just my perception being off though.

This was your original post. Then Timmerb, not getting the support he wanted, got mad and lashed out. You have no reason to be apologetic or to make any statement of your intentions. He just straight up took it as an attack and went with it... To be honest, you would be well within your rights to be offended.

It would be unwise to split up because there just isn't enough time for a few people to determine things. At this point you need larger committees to ensure checks and balances. Timmerb just steam rolls over everyone by having the most time to post things and has the most aggressive tone. it would just put more power in a few people's hands. Balance Committee has to keep balance, hard to do with a tiny group of people pulling their small collective experience. balance Committee should have a broad range of players that like all different things that actually value game play.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 1:12:18 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
More so, you're telling me you guys can't just hash stuff like Limited Reinforcement Pool out right now? If it's such a problem, why not deal with it now? Why push it back into next year(!) I don't think I've ever seen such lethargic balance committees.

The BC can and has taken immediate action when something is determined to be a serious problem.
The Diplomat special ability was given erratum and Daala was banned midseason this year.
However, knee-jerk changes midseason can also be disenfranchising to players and are the least preferable option.
It is better for the BC to take their time as a group and consider what is best for the game.
I suppose some of them are lethargic but they also have lives outside of star wars miniatures.

Traditionally, tournament season starts near the end of February and lasts until GenCon at the end of July.
After the Championship, there is about a 6-month period where we just play fun tournaments and casual play.
During this time the Balance committee reaches out to players for feedback, takes polls, and conducts playtests.
Then in February before tournament season starts up again the BC announces its rulings for the following year.

Since the Pandemic, players have started doing these monthly tournaments online.
Are those being considered sanctioned events for serious competitive play?
Do these fun tournaments require the involvement of the BC before next year?

Udorian84
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 3:29:24 PM

What is a pandy player?

In my house growing up pandy were mashed potatoes
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 4:14:17 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
More so, you're telling me you guys can't just hash stuff like Limited Reinforcement Pool out right now? If it's such a problem, why not deal with it now? Why push it back into next year(!) I don't think I've ever seen such lethargic balance committees.

As a former Balance Committee member, I've heard this expressed before. While I don't share the tone, I share the same frustration at times. (Personally, I'm chafing that I don't know how long I'll have to wait to see if I have to adjust or even delete my squads containing Mira.) On the other hand, I have always been an advocate on not making knee-jerk decisions and reactions to perceived issues. I think Bryon's caution here is valid. Maybe once we've identified items of concern for the Balance Committee to address, we can also establish a time by which a decision must be made. (If that is already being done, my apologies, but maybe the decisions aren't being made fast enough, given frustration and anticipation expressed.)

Our community is smaller than it once was; it is important that voices be heard. Resolutions to issues need to be timely.

TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 4:28:25 PM

Udorian84 wrote:
What is a pandy player?

In my house growing up pandy were mashed potatoes

That one actually took me a second as well. Perhaps there should have been a comma in between Pandy and player.

(Pandemic)
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 4:49:29 PM

To be clear I do think in general the BC does a good job. I may not agree with every ruling (or non-action), but that is to be expected.

I appreciate the work they put in, and especially appreciate threads such as the one Bryan put out to solicit feedback. I am grateful for the open communication.

The point of this thread was never meant to be criticism of the Balance Committee or their work.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, August 1, 2021 4:52:49 PM

DarkDracul wrote:

Since the Pandemic, players have started doing these monthly tournaments online.
Are those being considered sanctioned events for serious competitive play?
Do these fun tournaments require the involvement of the BC before next year?

I do think that these tournaments are great opportunities to test out some of the topics on the BC's table to see how they play out in an actual tournament.

After August's (Vset 22 focus) Sunday tournament, I will make an effort to implement various ideas to see how things get impacted. Stay tuned for that.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 8:49:42 AM

On the contrary, I think that having separate Character Design and Gameplay Balance committees would cause more problems than it would eliminate.

Not only would it require the investment of even more volunteer hours from our rather limited pool of volunteers, but it would also inevitably bring up issues of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. If one committee is looking at Floor Rule X (for example) and the other committee is looking at Character Y (who is significantly affected by the Floor Rule X discussion), then there is room for a mistake that would not be possible if the same committee was in charge of both decisions.

In your initial post, Tim, you say that splitting the BC will serve 2 purposes. However, you don't articulate why you think the split needs to be made in the first place. Is our current arrangement not working? I thought the BC was/is doing a fine job. Making a change sounds good and exciting, like it opens up new opportunities. However, think we also need to ask if those changes will bring a net positive outcome, or not. Change isn't always good. Sometimes things are working well enough that you can't really improve them without breaking something else. So unless you can clearly demonstrate how the current arrangement with the BC isn't working, then I simply don't see the value of this suggestion to split the BC into 2 groups.