RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you a wonderful human being.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New long form event Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 12:04:41 PM
Groups: Member

Methinks it’s time for another longform event. One where you would get paired with another opponent and have a week to get your match in and every week you can change your squad.

I don’t know about everyone else, but there are so many squads I want to play and not enough time to play them all. Sometimes I wish we didn’t have to be stuck with one squad for the whole tournament. Well in this format you don’t!

So who is interested?

We can also make it thematic. Dark vs Light, Era wars, etc. Let me know your thoughts on that as well!
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 7:37:25 AM

I'm always up for something. DS/LS, Era Wars, Peasant Wars, 500pt Epic format, etc. Anything can be good.
Udorian84
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 7:45:02 AM

I, personally, would love an event where you can change your squad. For me, I still haven't played all the different squad types or against them. I would love for it to stay 200 points. I also don't really know what those other formats are. I would love it if the rule was once you use a unique in the event you cannot use it again!
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 8:18:15 AM

Oooo it would be fun to have another Seps vs Republic, Imps vs Rebel etc with each side having a General who assigns the specific pieces to the people on their side.
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 8:22:08 AM

FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2021 8:46:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What about a Known Map tournament? Each round, choose a different map, and everyone plays on that map for the round - building a squad specifically for that map.

Or a LS/DS narrative tournament where each round tells a story of how things will play out? Re-play a movie or show, or create our own narrative as things evolve. Each round, declare two factions (one LS and one DS), possibly with specific characters that have to be in the squads. Everyone builds both squads, and then roll off to see which player will play which side. If more LS squads win their games, then resolve that round's narrative with a LS win and vice versa. Next round's LS/DS match-up and rules based on the idea of continuing that same story.

(I'm 50/50 for a long event, so don't take my ideas too seriously.)
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 8:09:08 AM

I like the Known Map idea. It might be good to choose maps that have not been on the Restricted List for a while, or perhaps even maps that are maybe a little bit skewed toward a certain style of play, since everybody will be using that map and will therefore be able to design their squad to use the map well.

I also like the idea of an Era tournament: each week, a specific era will be specified and both players need to build squads from that era:
--SWTOR era: OR, Sith, Mandalorian
--Galactic Civil War era: Republic, Separatist
--Rebellion era: Rebels, Imperials
--Post-Palpatine era: NR, Vong

However, I think the challenge here is that the meta will be very restricted each week, since there will only be 2 or 3 factions available. I think the idea is cool, but it might be more challenging to keep squad builds from becoming rather cookiee-cutter.
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 10:57:28 AM

i'm in for whatever format we choose. i haven't played a game since vassalcon so i'm kinda wanting to test out some of the new stuff!
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 10:58:04 AM

i'm in for whatever format we choose. i haven't played a game since vassalcon so i'm kinda wanting to test out some of the new stuff!
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 11:12:58 AM

i had an idea for a really long form tournament where we build squads through the many years of star wars minatures sets that have come out. Every week you gain access to more sets until eventually we get to v-set 22 at the end. There have been 40 sets that have been released over the course of this game and if we started at Rebel storm and did 4 sets a week (it starts at first 4 sets then next week adds the next 4 etc), we'd be done in 10 weeks. The small packs like Crystal Caves of Illum and Attack on Endor would be included in addition to the 4 sets if they fall in between the block of sets. So here's how it'd work:

Week 1:

Build a squad using the following sets:

starting with Rebel Storm
to
Universe

Week 2:

build a squad using the following sets:

Rebel Storm
to
Rebels and Imperials

etc....

eventually we will get to V-set 22 which is our 40th set since this game came into production. It'd be fun i think to go through the years of this game and try out older stuff and eventually integrate the newer stuff from the vset's.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 12:33:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

More interesting...tagging onto Mando above...make it a booster league...2 boosters each set...adding 2 boosters each week.
(I love booster leagues)
I guess that doesn't help with playing all the new squads though.
A separate thread then...move along...nothing to see here...
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 7:47:06 AM

At some point for a long-form tournament I think I'd like to do one in a 500pt Epic format. It doesn't have to be this event (because someone has already said he'd rather stick to 200pts, which is totally fine by me), but I'm just putting the idea out there since we're brainstorming ideas right now:

The tournament would be a round-robin style event, where each player plays each other player once (one game per week, as usual).

The catch is that you can only use any faction once during the round robin. So if you use Epic Lord Hoth (OR) in Round 1, then you cannot use him or the other Epic OR characters (Revan Redeemed, Master Satele Shan) for the rest of your round robin games. Therefore, assuming we have less than 10 players, the pool of available choices would gradually shrink as the weeks go by; if we had more than 10 players then the factions would reset midway through the round robin games.

Assuming we have playoff rounds, your factions would be reset at the start of the playoff rounds...BUT you would not still be able to use the Epic Characters that you used previously. So in this example, you could use Revan Redeemed or Master Satele in the playoffs, but you still couldn't use Epic Lord Hoth again.

The idea here is that all the players would be exposed to a whole bunch of different Epic characters, so there would be a good amount of variety.

As a reminder, here are the 500pt Epic format rules:
--Maximum of 16 activations (including reserves/reinforcements). Sometimes we have placed a limit on the number of CEs in a squad, and that would be something to discuss among the players beforehand.
--Your squad must include exactly one epic miniature from Epic Sets 1, 2, or 3.
--You may not decrease the number of activations in a phase but you may increase as permitted by the character providing the form of activation control.
--Bastila's ABM is active only for the round it is turned on.
--Gambit is 25 points and must be scored by a 25point piece or higher. (Sometimes we've said that it can only be scored by a player's Epic piece, but that might be a bit too restrictive.)
--The 8th Cortex Shaper (Vong) is banned at 500pts.
--Match length is 90 minutes after setup. A player needs to score 500pts for a 3pt win, or 250pts for a 1 point loss. (Another option could be that you can also earn a 1pt loss by simply defeating your opponent's Epic character, regardless of your points total.)

I don't know how many people still enjoy the Epic 500 format, but it remains one of my personal favorites!
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 8:52:27 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
At some point for a long-form tournament I think I'd like to do one in a 500pt Epic format. It doesn't have to be this event (because someone has already said he'd rather stick to 200pts, which is totally fine by me), but I'm just putting the idea out there since we're brainstorming ideas right now:

The tournament would be a round-robin style event, where each player plays each other player once (one game per week, as usual).

The catch is that you can only use any faction once during the round robin. So if you use Epic Lord Hoth (OR) in Round 1, then you cannot use him or the other Epic OR characters (Revan Redeemed, Master Satele Shan) for the rest of your round robin games. Therefore, assuming we have less than 10 players, the pool of available choices would gradually shrink as the weeks go by; if we had more than 10 players then the factions would reset midway through the round robin games.

Assuming we have playoff rounds, your factions would be reset at the start of the playoff rounds...BUT you would not still be able to use the Epic Characters that you used previously. So in this example, you could use Revan Redeemed or Master Satele in the playoffs, but you still couldn't use Epic Lord Hoth again.

The idea here is that all the players would be exposed to a whole bunch of different Epic characters, so there would be a good amount of variety.

As a reminder, here are the 500pt Epic format rules:
--Maximum of 16 activations (including reserves/reinforcements). Sometimes we have placed a limit on the number of CEs in a squad, and that would be something to discuss among the players beforehand.
--Your squad must include exactly one epic miniature from Epic Sets 1, 2, or 3.
--You may not decrease the number of activations in a phase but you may increase as permitted by the character providing the form of activation control.
--Bastila's ABM is active only for the round it is turned on.
--Gambit is 25 points and must be scored by a 25point piece or higher. (Sometimes we've said that it can only be scored by a player's Epic piece, but that might be a bit too restrictive.)
--The 8th Cortex Shaper (Vong) is banned at 500pts.
--Match length is 90 minutes after setup. A player needs to score 500pts for a 3pt win, or 250pts for a 1 point loss. (Another option could be that you can also earn a 1pt loss by simply defeating your opponent's Epic character, regardless of your points total.)

I don't know how many people still enjoy the Epic 500 format, but it remains one of my personal favorites!

This idea is a great one! i personally have only played epics a handful of times but i enjoyed it every time i played. so many interesting squads out there and with the number of v-sets we've gotten since the last epic set came out, there's a lot of stuff to try out. i like the format you detailed Trevor, especially the part where you use each faction once leading up to the playoffs. that would give people exposure to playing a faction they typically don't play often and try some different squad strategies. when we do this (maybe this year even?!?!?) count me in! I've been wanting to play epics for so long and i want to use these pieces the designers worked hard on.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2021 10:37:38 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I like the Known Map idea. It might be good to choose maps that have not been on the Restricted List for a while, or perhaps even maps that are maybe a little bit skewed toward a certain style of play, since everybody will be using that map and will therefore be able to design their squad to use the map well.

I also like the idea of an Era tournament: each week, a specific era will be specified and both players need to build squads from that era:
--SWTOR era: OR, Sith, Mandalorian
--Galactic Civil War era: Republic, Separatist
--Rebellion era: Rebels, Imperials
--Post-Palpatine era: NR, Vong

However, I think the challenge here is that the meta will be very restricted each week, since there will only be 2 or 3 factions available. I think the idea is cool, but it might be more challenging to keep squad builds from becoming rather cookiee-cutter.

Yes, that is a challenge. I fear known map would restrict it even further.

I know for myself, I want to be able to run squads that I would play in a regular 200pt tournament, but not be stuck playing it the whole time. So formats that encourage builds that would never have a shot in the competitive scene don't appeal to me as much. Ones where you "game the system" are what I mean. Known map tournaments I feel would lean that way.

I also want to do something a little different. I like forcing faction changes, but beyond that I want options of squad building to be pretty open.

TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2021 11:46:18 AM

I've been thinking, and here's what we're going to do:

presenting:

The Spheres of Influence long form tournament

This will be a long form tournament where every player players every other player 2 times each. Both games against each opponent will be back-to-back in one round, built from factions in that round's category.

There are going to be various categories of 3 factions each.

(These will be the first 3 rounds):

Seat of Power - Old Republic, Republic, New Republic,

Insurrectionists - Separatist, Rebel, Imperial

Outworlders - Sith, Mandalorians, Yuuzhan Vong

(yes yes, you can make arguments for many factions to be in other categories, but at least for vast periods of time they all fit the category they are in.)

We will add additional categories so that there is a different one each round, with different trios of factions, equal to the number of rounds needed so that everyone plays everyone else.

Each round will be a rotation into a new category. Everyone will be paired with an opponent, and each player must build TWO 200pt legal squads from 2 different factions (out of the 3 factions) for that round's theme.

Each player presents both of their squads (without knowing what their opponent is bringing), CLEARLY LABELING which squad will be run first and which squad will be run second in the reveal.

Example:

Player A faces Player B in Round 1 with the category Seat of Power (OR, Republic, NR)

Player A and Player B reveal both of their squads simultaneously, labeling which will be used first and second.

Player A - squad 1 New Republic (squad link), squad 2 Republic (squad link)
Player B - squad 1 New Republic (squad link), squad 2 Old Republic (squad link)

Then Player A and Player B both play their squad 1 (which in this example happens to both be New Republic), and then immediately after (or sometime convenient for both players before the deadline) they will each play their squad 2 (in this example it's Player A's Republic vs Player B's Old Republic). Players will have 2 weeks to finish both games in each round. The next round starts the next day after the last game of the previous round is finished.

(The simultaneous reveal for both matchups is simply so that a player may not build their second squad based on what faction their opponent played with the first squad.)

We will each play every other opponent 2 times each. Both games against each opponent will be back-to-back in one round, in the same category.

Once we've all played each other, there will be a playoff of some sort depending on number of players.

Who would be up for that?
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2021 1:30:37 PM

Thoughts on making it faction specific also? Maybe limiting fringe to mice, uggie, r7? Would love to see more faction pure stuffs.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2021 9:06:20 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Thoughts on making it faction specific also? Maybe limiting fringe to mice, uggie, r7? Would love to see more faction pure stuffs.

TimmerB123 wrote:
I know for myself, I want to be able to run squads that I would play in a regular 200pt tournament, but not be stuck playing it the whole time. So formats that encourage builds that would never have a shot in the competitive scene don't appeal to me as much. Ones where you "game the system" are what I mean. Known map tournaments I feel would lean that way.

I also want to do something a little different. I like forcing faction changes, but beyond that I want options of squad building to be pretty open.