I don't get it, what's a "Bloom ilk"?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Discussion thread for possible restricted map list changes Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2021 3:47:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

thereisnotry wrote:
imyurhukaberry wrote:
What if someone came up with a fix that overlays the center of the map?
I remember when they had a fix for the Rancor Pit that allowed a second passage to get across the map.
I will have to dig that up…

The Rancor Pit fix tile is actually in Vassal. It's somewhere in the Tiles menu.

The Rancor map with the tile is in Vassal as an entire map.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:09:40 PM
Groups: Member

I've been looking through the Maps Omnibus that I purchased from JC several months ago. There are 2 maps that stand out to me as possible contenders for the Restricted Maplist:
--Knights Outpost
--Mushroom Planet

There are some others that might be worth considering too, but I think they'd probably need a bit more attention first. It could be that they've got glaring issues that I simply haven't seen yet:
--Royal Militia HQ
--Imperial Garrison
--Pirates Moon (NE)
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:23:31 PM

Here are images of the maps I'm referring to.

Btw, each of them is intentionally shrunken. Why? Because we're discussing map ideas here, so we need to see them. But at the same time I don't want to share the full size images, because that could pull sales from JC.

Here are the two maps that I think are strong contenders:
Knights Outpost
Mushroom Planet

Here are the other maps that also jumped out to me, but which might have issues I haven't seen yet:
Imperial Garrison
Royal Militia HQ
Pirates Moon (NE)

EDIT: For what it's worth, I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase JC's Map Omnibus from Ebay (that's where I got it):
Digital sci fi Map collection 70+ Maps
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:25:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

thereisnotry wrote:
I've been looking through the Maps Omnibus that I purchased from JC several months ago. There are 2 maps that stand out to me as possible contenders for the Restricted Maplist:
--Knights Outpost
--Mushroom Planet

There are some others that might be worth considering too, but I think they'd probably need a bit more attention first. It could be that they've got glaring issues that I simply haven't seen yet:
--Royal Militia HQ
--Imperial Garrison
--Pirates Moon (NE)

Pirate's Moon (NE) has a pretty severe advantage for the left. Pretty easy access to the big gambit room, while the right side has to fight through a door or stay out in the vulnerable street. Of the other 3 Pirate's Moon maps, NW and SE are both too tight - huges generally can't even participate in the fight at all. And then there's Pirate's Moon SW, which was restricted for one season a few years ago. I think it would be okay to return someday.

All of the others you mentioned look viable to me. We keep getting more and more good maps. It's a great problem to have - much better than when WotC gave us just 6 passable maps and a whole bunch of shooting ranges. But with so many good maps, only a few each year will make the restricted list.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2021 1:32:16 PM

I'm not surprised that the Pirate's Moon map has a problem. In a way, it's kinda like the Cloud City map in that way...if you pick that map then you know you'll be playing from the "bad" side, so you'll need to have a way to handle that disadvantage. So it might be viable for some squads, but it could also just end up not being used very often.

Personally, I really like the Knights Outpost and the Mushroom Planet maps...I think that both would be good (and neither has too much Rigged Detonators terrain).