RegisterDonateLogin

Isn't too proud of this technological terror it has constructed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rules Questions Options
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2021 1:56:40 PM
Groups: Member

Hello, I've accumulated a few rules questions:

1. How does rolling cleave stack with lightsaber sweep? Do you have to kill someone with your last attack to take advantage of rolling cleave, or can it be if you killed anyone during your sweep?

2. I'm 90% sure T1 bulk loader can't heavy lift and move in the same turn, but wanted to confirm.

3. When using force repulse, the character repulsing chooses the movement of the repulsed characters. Are there any limitations on where the repulsed characters may be pushed other than they must end up further from the repulsing character than they started? My friend once argued that they all must be repulsed in the same direction (which I think is unsupported by the definition or the glossary). Does force push 3 follow similar rules?

4. Can mighty swing and rolling cleave be used in the same turn (I assume no)?

5. How does combine fire work with twin attack? Does the bonus apply to both attacks?

Naarkon
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2021 3:01:07 PM

DarthBainCapital wrote:
2. I'm 90% sure T1 bulk loader can't heavy lift and move in the same turn, but wanted to confirm.

You actually can move and still lift. There's some comments about it on the T1 page but basically heavy weapon only affects actual attacks, not replaces attack abilities.

DarthBainCapital wrote:
5. How does combine fire work with twin attack? Does the bonus apply to both attacks?

No, you only get the bonus on the first attack. You can combine fire with different unactivated characters on the second attack.

Not sure about the others.
Cassus fett
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2021 4:29:29 PM

3. For “forced movement” scenarios like this you do get to control the movement. There are no restrictions. It’s a classic move to repulse/push/Sith battle manipulation an opponent’s piece into a pit or onto mines.

Edit: Flying Arrow has a better explanation for 1.
For 5, I didn’t check mighty swing’s glossary and forgot you cannot move if you want it. Teach me to not double check. Glare
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2021 5:14:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

DarthBainCapital wrote:
Hello, I've accumulated a few rules questions:

1. How does rolling cleave stack with lightsaber sweep? Do you have to kill someone with your last attack to take advantage of rolling cleave, or can it be if you killed anyone during your sweep?

You may have heard of the lawnmower effect. For non-targeted effects (of which Lightsaber Sweep is one), you affect everyone you can affect until you can't affect anyone else. If you move, you may pick up new victims or lose old victims.

In the example you cited, you can use Rolling Cleave on any of the attacks (but just once). Once you use Rolling Cleave, if you have moved away from someone that you didn't attack yet, you lose the opportunity to attack them. However, if you move adjacent to a new enemy, you can then continue your Lightsaber Sweep against the character(s) you just moved adjacent to. You don't have to wait until the end of Lightsaber Sweep to use Rolling Cleave, but you probably want to because if you move away you may forfeit other attacks.

Quote:

3. When using force repulse, the character repulsing chooses the movement of the repulsed characters. Are there any limitations on where the repulsed characters may be pushed other than they must end up further from the repulsing character than they started? My friend once argued that they all must be repulsed in the same direction (which I think is unsupported by the definition or the glossary). Does force push 3 follow similar rules?

You can push enemies in different directions, and they can change direction during the move. The one thing you have to follow is that each square of movement is moving away from the character with Push/Repulse. Note that with Push you moving the characters a specified number of squares, and you count low objects/difficult terrain as 2 squares during that movement. With Repulse, you are moving characters until they are a specified number of squares away from the character with Push/Repulse, so in that case low objects/difficult terrain is irrelevant.

If you push someone into a pit, the pit save is 11 or defeat. If they have Flight it is 6 or defeat. If you make a successful pit save, the movement ends and you remain in the last safe square.

Quote:

4. Can mighty swing and rolling cleave be used in the same turn (I assume no)?

I had to check the FAQ for this one.
https://swmgamers.com/PDF/Rules/StarWarsMinis_FAQ_WotC_Final.pdf

I forgot whether the movement in Rolling Cleave is mandatory. Both the movement and attack in Rolling Cleave are optional. You can use Mighty Swing and Rolling Cleave on the same turn, but you can't move. If you take the Mighty Swing bonus, you are agreeing to not move for the entire turn. As such, you cannot later move with Rolling Cleave. But you could make the attack.

Note that Double Attack and Mighty Swing are worded differently. You get Double Attack instead of moving (i.e. by giving up your regular move). You can use Double Attack and still move via Rolling Cleave or several other abilities. You just can't use your regular move. The condition on Mighty Swing is "if this character doesn't move". For Mighty Swing, you cannot move at all on your turn - whether your regular move or any other abilities.

Quote:

The bonus applies only to the attack that you combine fire.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:45:29 AM

Thanks for the responses.

"The bonus applies only to the attack that you combine fire."

- This is in contrast to cannon shots? If a character with twin uses a commander effect to make an attack at +4 attack and +10 damage, the bonus applies to both nested attacks from twin correct? Why doesn't combined fire apply to the overarching attack and consequently to the two nested attacks of twin?
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2021 7:46:09 AM

Thanks for the responses.

"The bonus applies only to the attack that you combine fire."

- This is in contrast to cannon shots? If a character with twin uses a commander effect to make an attack at +4 attack and +10 damage, the bonus applies to both nested attacks from twin correct? Why doesn't combined fire apply to the overarching attack and consequently to the two nested attacks of twin?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2021 9:26:32 AM

Nope, the bonus (including from cannon shots) only applies to the first attack of the twin.
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2021 1:34:54 PM

Oh didn’t realize that, thanks
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 2:12:35 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Nope, the bonus (including from cannon shots) only applies to the first attack of the twin.

So if I get a 'cannon shot' from Mother Talzin, the +4 attack and +10 damage does not apply to the second attack of twin?
Mando
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 2:46:21 PM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

So if I get a 'cannon shot' from Mother Talzin, the +4 attack and +10 damage does not apply to the second attack of twin?

correct. it just applies to the first attack
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 3:02:38 PM

Mando wrote:
N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

correct. it just applies to the first attack

Interesting. I am just curious why it plays this way/where this ruling comes from? I guess I have played it wrong in the past.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, December 6, 2021 4:24:18 PM

Anytime an ability says "an attack," it means just one. You still get the Twin, because Twin almost always triggers, but you don't get bonuses. I don't know which came first, but it's consistent with the way Charging assault 10 works with Twin.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 7:52:16 AM

Thanks for the explanation