Impresses females of your species.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GVL 4.0 sign up at SWMgamers site Options
Boba52
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:36:02 AM
Groups: Member

http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=7288

"Fool" wrote:
Without Further Ado and with Gencon Behind us, it is time to unleash the rabid on-line dog that is the

G
V
L
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GVL 4.0 is now accepting Sign-up!!!

So Far, we have 3 of the 8 Captains back. 2 Have declined for next season and 3 we are awaiting.

If you are interested in signing-up, please post here!

I'm hoping for some good response to the sign-up thread.

As for the format, well we're still finalizing a few things. We are going to go back a bit to some of the things that made the GVL enjoyable and limit the meta - that much is for sure. I hope we can also avoid the "slaughter, win-at-all fests" we had last season and see more of the fun "GVL 2.0" Squads such as "Jawa Trading Bossk (Bossk, BH and Jawa Traders with MCTS) and a few other Dandies.

Players also are going to go into the "Random Draw" Format as last year (once the Captains are selected, and players protected).

So Sign-Up today, and if you feel you have what it takes to Champion and Captain a Team then put that down as well.

Good Luck to everyone signing-up and once the rules are up the rules thread will be posted!!!

Just an FYI that you will need to post wins and losses on the gamers site, so you will need an account there.
Space Jawa
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:35:39 AM

So, uh, what exactly is GVL, anyway?
Fool
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:35:16 AM

Space Jawa wrote:
So, uh, what exactly is GVL, anyway?

Simply put it's an on-line Vassal League that is going on its fourth season.

We try to "limit" the meta and encourage fun, team play.

A few new things this year:

50 Point Matches
300 Point Matches
Dynamic Duo Matches

We're hoping for a good turnout and yes, you do have to sign-up at Gamers (just so you can post and confirm your matches and avoid forgery of matches).

So if you play on Vassal, it's worth signing up as its a fun League that has grown quite popular over the years!!
danielmcdougall
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:39:12 AM

What does the schedule look like? I'm very interested but I only a few evenings a week that I can play.
Fool
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:46:40 AM

danielmcdougall wrote:
What does the schedule look like? I'm very interested but I only a few evenings a week that I can play.

Then sign-up.

The beautiful thing about the GVL is that there is no pressure to play. You play when you want, as much as you want as little as you want and at any point level you feel comfortable.

Just don't get TOO comfortable to the squads :) We like to encourage "changing it up".

Simply put, if you play on Vassal even 3 times a month - sign-up!

There's people that sign-up ONLY to play in 2 v 2 matches. Perfect! Others prefer only Tile Wars - done!

We try to make it as enjoyable as possible for as many people as we can.
The rules will be posted soon - probably in the next few days - just waiting on the Captains to mull over the rules.

Fool
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:47:38 AM

Just an update.

5 more spots and we can start thinking about the player draft.

Also, if you sign-up and feel you can Captain a team for a season please put that down as well as we are looking for Captains.

Finally, if you're not interested in the GVL but want a hand in the statistics portion of it (helping track a few things) PM me on Gamers (or here I guess) and let me know if you're interested

Thanks again guys!
Space Jawa
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 4:48:14 AM

Fool wrote:
So if you play on Vassal, it's worth signing up as its a fun League that has grown quite popular over the years!!

I've given a try at Vassal, but I'm not sure if I've gotten it to work or not. Maybe I'll give a serious look some year when I've got more time on my hands and I know how to make the program work.
Fool
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:10:21 AM

Space Jawa wrote:
Fool wrote:

I've given a try at Vassal, but I'm not sure if I've gotten it to work or not. Maybe I'll give a serious look some year when I've got more time on my hands and I know how to make the program work.

If you're having issues you can download the entire packet at www.atlantaswg.com

Not sure if the exact link but Chuck (Nivuahc) on Gamers boards and probably can provide it.

He does a great job of "dumbing it down" so you just download and it does everything for you.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 1:22:16 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I assume everything must be up to date with the individual's VASSAL files?
(here's a quick link for getting VASSAL going: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=497)

Any spots left?
Fool
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 1:28:55 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I assume everything must be up to date with the individual's VASSAL files?
(here's a quick link for getting VASSAL going: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=497)

Any spots left?

Yeah you might want to check your Vassal files.

I'm not sure if that links to Nivuahc's downloads but I've found that is the easiest. No unzipping and moving maps. You just download it as one packet and its done (plus he modded the Chat Window so it doesn't constantly pop up I hear :D)

http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7337 is the link

For the GVL, yes we have a lot of spots left. Max spots are 64 (not that we'll ever get there) but typically people sign-up throughout the year.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 2:02:22 AM

Sweet. I'll see if I can round up a couple more players as well.

I'll check into the link you posted. The instructions I put up are compiled by following the "old" way of doing it where all the files are listed individually. They still work, but it's tedious.
Fool
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 2:09:01 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Sweet. I'll see if I can round up a couple more players as well.

I'll check into the link you posted. The instructions I put up are compiled by following the "old" way of doing it where all the files are listed individually. They still work, but it's tedious.

Definitely go with Chuck's site link. It's uber non-tedious

The player draft is starting soon so get those people signed up asap. (They can still join during the season of course)
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 2:19:47 AM

Nice. I like the "all in one" package. But does it install an icon? All I see is the .BAT file after it unzips.

Ok. I'll see what I can do with the guys. Thanks Fool.
Fool
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:37:40 AM

Just a reminder that we will be starting the Player Draft for the GVL4 soon so if you want to sign-up and be part of a great on-line league you should do so!

It is a fun meta-limiting league (for those you don't know).

Also, if you want to "wait and see" you certainly can do so - there will be chances to sign-up throughout the season.
LandShark
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:05:14 PM

I signed up. Hello GVL.
Fool
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:15:55 AM

Hey we're looking for 2 more.