Who's scruffy-looking?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Somehow, I don't believe it Options
jbnimble
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 10:18:17 AM
Groups: Member

So here's the link...

Galaxy at War Preorder

Popular Collections are saying that preorders for Galaxy at War will ship in September. But everywhere else that has a date still says October 20th (in the States).

Is this a case (no pun intended) of "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true"?
Durge Dude
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 10:30:41 AM

i have no idea
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 10:39:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I would say so. I haven't heard the best things about Popluar Collection's preorders.
LandShark
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 11:20:38 AM

jbnimble wrote:
So here's the link...

Galaxy at War Preorder

Popular Collections are saying that preorders for Galaxy at War will ship in September. But everywhere else that has a date still says October 20th (in the States).

Is this a case (no pun intended) of "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true"?

Another set this year.... yay.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 11:58:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Preordered JA case from them, took 2+ weeks to arrive.
jbnimble
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:49:01 PM

Eroschilles wrote:

2+ weeks after release date?
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:56:35 PM

jbnimble wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

Yes. They waited 9 days from release to even ship it.
madslaust
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:45:27 PM

I've heard Horror stories about that site from Axis and Allies players, so I'd watch out.

Speaking of early releases, this site was the one that after SDCC put up cases of Heroclix's "Hammer of Thor" set, and we don't even have solititations for that product, so where did they get their info?

I'd avoid them.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:52:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

madslaust wrote:
I've heard Horror stories about that site from Axis and Allies players, so I'd watch out.

Speaking of early releases, this site was the one that after SDCC put up cases of Heroclix's "Hammer of Thor" set, and we don't even have solititations for that product, so where did they get their info?

I'd avoid them.

The company that bought Clix was at SDCC, with a promo piece. I think the officiall announcement didn't come till Gencon though.
defender390
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 1:54:13 PM

I play Axis and Allies. I never used Popular Collections myself, but they have a lot of negative recommendations on the Axis and Allies forums. Here is the link if you want to look yourself: http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about2935.html

Hope that helped.
madslaust
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 2:12:37 PM

Sithborg wrote:
madslaust wrote:

I'd avoid them.

The company that bought Clix was at SDCC, with a promo piece. I think the officiall announcement didn't come till Gencon though.
They still don't have anything official said. Not even solicitations, and the set is supposed to go on sale this fall.
jbnimble
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 3:32:28 PM

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, all. I was very skeptical, and it seems that was the right attitude.

I still wish I could get a few cases in September, since I'm supposed to be running a sealed event on October 18th, two days before release. *sigh*
Boba52
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:42:49 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
jbnimble wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

So, they are selling cases for $89.99 and in exchange I wait 9 days to get my stuff after the release. This is a problem cause why? Yep I can wait 2 weeks. I should be playing in release events during that time anyway.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:00:24 AM

The last post hit it: you save money, but they take forever to ship to you. They are by far the cheapest at $89.99 w/ free shipping, but don't expect them before 2 weeks after the set is released. I've ordered from them a couple times and the same thing each time: LATE.

I use them for my personal collecting, but NEVER for release tourneys. In OH, I stick to Alterealitygames. Those dudes hook you up! You may pay a bit more for them, but for the CW release tourney, they shipped directly to my house from the distributor! I didn't even ask for it. Got the case the day it released.

Also, when I ordered a case of JA, I put that I would pick it up to save shipping, not realizing that shipping is free. So they shipped it 2 day air anyway! They definitely are the best store to work with.
jbnimble
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:43:21 AM

Boba52 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:
jbnimble wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

So, they are selling cases for $89.99 and in exchange I wait 9 days to get my stuff after the release. This is a problem cause why? Yep I can wait 2 weeks. I should be playing in release events during that time anyway.

It may not be a problem, but I wanted to know if they were on the up and up about a September ship date.

I'm running a sealed event two days before release, and was hoping to run GaW. Instead, I'll have to use older sets. However, if they really were going to ship in September, I could run GaW.

If they aren't shipping early, I like to support my LGS. Yes, they cost more. But I get them on the day of the release, and help support the shop, so it stays open, so I still have a place to play in the future. BigGrin

The problem I have is the false advertising of when they will ship.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:50:50 AM

jbnimble wrote:
Boba52 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:
[quote=jbnimble][quote=Eroschilles]Preordered JA case from them, took 2+ weeks to arrive.

If they aren't shipping early, I like to support my LGS. Yes, they cost more. But I get them on the day of the release, and help support the shop, so it stays open, so I still have a place to play in the future. BigGrin

The problem I have is the false advertising of when they will ship.

I agree 100%. ThumbsUp
SavageJediExile
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:50:42 AM

just wait like the rest of us.
P.S. i cant wait for the new set and stats to come out
madslaust
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:56:55 AM

Boba52 wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:
jbnimble wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

The problem is, they open up cases of product to sell as singles, then claim when you ask after two weeks that they ran out of cases, and only when you threaten to get Paypal involved do they 'find' spare cases lying around to send to you.

Caveat emptor.
sdexam
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:27:20 AM

I have some bad experience with Popular Collections, I have preordered 1 case from them along with some other stuff, but then they never ship me anything. So I have email them a couple of time, and they promised will refund my money 3 weeks ago, but once again, I got nothing. I highly recommend not to purchase from them.