RegisterDonateLogin

You want this...don't you?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Lawnmower Options
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 9:11:43 AM
Groups: Member

What is / how would one “lawnmower”??

I saw this mentioned in an older post I and am curious how this works?

Thanks,
-Drew
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 9:42:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The lawnmower effect comes from combining non-targeting area effects with bonus movement that you might get when defeating an enemy. For example:

Quote:
Unleash the Force [Force 4, replaces attacks, usable only after an ally with a Force rating is defeated: 60 damage to all other characters within 6 squares; save 11 to reduce damage to 30]

UtF affects everyone within 6 squares but doesn't target and you don't have to specify everyone who is affected immediately. So you pick someone within 6, damage them, pick someone else within 6, damage them, etc. When there's no one else within 6 that you haven't already damaged, you're done.

Princess Leia, Rebel Hero has this commander effect:

Quote:
"Whenever a follower within 6 squares defeats an enemy, it may immediately move 2 squares. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity and does not prevent the use of extra attacks."

So if UtF and that CE in the same squad, then when UtF kills someone, you can move 2 squares and possibly bring other enemies into range to be affected by UtF. If you kill a bunch of enemies, you could potentially cover a lot of ground, acting like a lawnmower rolling over the opposing squad.

Note that Leia's CE is range 6, so you won't be able to run too far with that particular combination. There are some other combinations that can get you the lawnmower effect, but UtF is probably the strongest one because it does so much damage.

(Jacen Solo has UtF and has Affinity to let that Rebel Leia into a New Republic squad.)
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 9:50:01 AM

So you could lawnmower your way out of range of allies and not affect them, since you get to pick order to damage people?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 11:06:36 AM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
So you could lawnmower your way out of range of allies and not affect them, since you get to pick order to damage people?

Yes, that too.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 11:25:49 AM

I have no idea how I have been playing the game for this long without ever hearing about or encountering stuff like this…..
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2022 11:38:53 AM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
I have no idea how I have been playing the game for this long without ever hearing about or encountering stuff like this…..

That one is a very specific interaction. I didn't hear about it for several years, either. It also is not as easy to pull off as you might think. It sounds like you can just auto-win and kill everyone, but in practice most of the time you end up hitting maybe 1 or 2 extra enemies. I guess it could be super effective against a big swarm, though.
adamb0nd
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2022 6:12:35 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
N3rdSl4y3r wrote:

That one is a very specific interaction. I didn't hear about it for several years, either. It also is not as easy to pull off as you might think. It sounds like you can just auto-win and kill everyone, but in practice most of the time you end up hitting maybe 1 or 2 extra enemies. I guess it could be super effective against a big swarm, though.

I brought a new republic lawnmower squad to gencon... i dont feel like doing math many years ago. The lawnmower has potential to be devastating, but was just OK in practice. While some of that was certainly my playing and rolling, i never had a great matchup for the ability to be any more effective than less gimmicky options.

It generally takes a significant chunk of points to build around, and mostly fills the same role Kybuck fills, but Kybuck's a lot easier to setup for effective use. At the end of the day, Its good, but I think there are other ways to get the same tactical edge + more from other existing mechanics.
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2022 9:52:02 PM

It is definitely better in matches/ metas where you are facing high activations/ paper type squads than against rock squads which typically have higher HP to survive the mower and can more easily spread out to make it harder to get the mower rolling.