RegisterDonateLogin

I never doubted Bloo Milk for a second! Wonderful!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

"Star Wars Miniatures RPG" - "Beta" Options
Reunion_Reunion
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2022 6:11:24 PM
Groups: Member

Hey so, my friend and I have been working on this a while - and I think it's about time we shared it with the community and got some feedback.

The idea here is a scenario-style RPG system. Some notes were taken here and there from other engines, notably "Imperial Assault". Most importantly, we wanted to make sure the players all had the capacity to make their character unique, level up, etc. The rules are here in a nice excel sheet. Enjoy, and majorly appreciate any feedback!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEB2B4qnEV2SBY4SjqDYkMvjKQy0XdAO/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102510537568987310234&rtpof=true&sd=true
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 9:08:01 AM

Why would you not just put your feedback in this thread? Why would you start talking about GitHub? There’s no coding or code base involved with this.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 10:08:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks for sharing - looks interesting! Looks like a lot of work went into it.
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 10:17:47 AM

Cassus fett wrote:
Why would you not just put your feedback in this thread?
Why would you start talking about GitHub?
There’s no coding or code base involved with this.

@Original Poster;
ReunionReunion - my apology to tangent about
'poetry style guide and declaiming' constructive criticism.
With your permission, I would like to briefly address that tangent? grievance? point of issue?
raised by a fellow Bloomilk'er.

@Cassus Fett.
Thank you for your constructive criticism.
Indeed, "Garbage In, Garbage Out" is a proportionality thing,
make responses fall within an anticipated answer-space instead of,
being a 'neurodivergent outlying open-format response".
As it was not delimited as a SurveyMonkey Survey or other survey format,
like those pop-quiz 150 character or fewer input fields,
I responded to a stimulii as though it were a genuinely posed question.

|EDIT: sheesh, its a 200+page 'epic'.
Editorialized and Filed In Memory Gulag,
if you want to see the long-format, its on the wayback archive or something.BigGrin |
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 1:52:46 PM

Reunion_Reunion wrote:
Hey so, my friend and I have been working on this a while - and I think it's about time we shared it with the community and got some feedback.

The idea here is a scenario-style RPG system. Some notes were taken here and there from other engines, notably "Imperial Assault". Most importantly, we wanted to make sure the players all had the capacity to make their character unique, level up, etc. The rules are here in a nice excel sheet. Enjoy, and majorly appreciate any feedback!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEB2B4qnEV2SBY4SjqDYkMvjKQy0XdAO/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102510537568987310234&rtpof=true&sd=true

Good detail here. However am I missing something? There doesn't appear to be "basic" rules past "Games are played like a SWM match, but everyone is on one team except the GM".

Are these just custom modifications to one of the existing RPG's (WotC or FFG), or is this your own homebrew from ground up?
Reunion_Reunion
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 2:02:51 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad everyone likes it xD A little amazed someone's already tested it out even! :D

So more on the subject of it being like kotor-style: Yes, that was a partial goal; if you've ever played the Fallout series - we also wanted a manageable overworld environment at a point, so this is a big reason why we had the additional skill pools and points for each class.

The level cap is meant to be around 10 - we probably should have discussed this somewhere in the rules. Which brings me to cassus.

We were a little miffed to write much of a "basic rules" while it's still in production; felt at the time that we were descriptive enough in other areas. I do think a rules outline would be useful though, now that you mention it, so I'll work on including that later tonight.

Also, this is a ground-up framework with lots of inspiration from various other rpg's. I haven't myself played anything listed by other users here - but feel like I should try them out. I wonder if any are open to adaptation/modification/integration? Could give me and my buddy what we need to be satisfied with the framework.

I've not been able to get vassal to work or find any lobbies so, I've no idea how to work with that really. Blushing But I'd love to give it a shot sometime.
Cassus fett
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 2:21:17 PM

Reunion_Reunion wrote:
Hey thanks for the feedback guys! I'm glad everyone likes it xD A little amazed someone's already tested it out even! :D

So more on the subject of it being like kotor-style: Yes, that was a partial goal; if you've ever played the Fallout series - we also wanted a manageable overworld environment at a point, so this is a big reason why we had the additional skill pools and points for each class.

The level cap is meant to be around 10 - we probably should have discussed this somewhere in the rules. Which brings me to cassus.

We were a little miffed to write much of a "basic rules" while it's still in production; felt at the time that we were descriptive enough in other areas. I do think a rules outline would be useful though, now that you mention it, so I'll work on including that later tonight.

Also, this is a ground-up framework with lots of inspiration from various other rpg's. I haven't myself played anything listed by other users here - but feel like I should try them out. I wonder if any are open to adaptation/modification/integration? Could give me and my buddy what we need to be satisfied with the framework.

I've not been able to get vassal to work or find any lobbies so, I've no idea how to work with that really. Blushing But I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

BlooMilk
Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a "Player's Handbook" section or something similar. I think after reading it over you two have given a lot of thought to how classes will work. I cannot possibly comment on balance, but that will come with play testing.
So yes, IMO I think you're just missing a How to Play or Basic Setup section and you've got a decent frame work.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2022 4:41:35 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Are you familiar with kezz's SWAG? It's probably worth looking at for inspiration.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30262

I could have sworn he had a big (like 50 page) PDF about this but I'm not finding the link for it right now.
Reunion_Reunion
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2022 12:59:12 AM

Alright alright, so - we'll be playtesting this more on tts soon - but I believe it's a lot further past beta - thanks to everyone's feedback! Sorry it took me so long to respond.

There have been some amendments made that I'm sure will address a lot of the previous questions/concerns. Notably, skills have finally been finalized - we are quite happy with the way they are, as well. A couple a optional things you could play with - "gambits" and "force tokens". Gonna give that a spin tomorrow.

@kobayashimaru I promise to get back to you on your dm soon; just. Been insanely busy lately - only really got on this because my buddy and I got together to work on it.